Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

NewYorkers against Mosque built at Ground Zero

Ibtisam   

Sherban Shabeel: I think a cohesion center (as seeker and me said above) is just what that area needs and more appropriate than just a prayer place. I don’t think it is acceptable to build anything as such on ground zero itself, but I think a center for cohesion and understanding will be ideal somewhere it that area, because it signifies for the west at least the impact and influence of misinformation and misunderstanding between communities.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

quote:There are plans to build a 13 story $100 million Islamic cultural center and mosque
a couple blocks from Ground Zero

So it is not ground Zero, it is near it. Ground Zero can be a memorial, or a park or garden or even remain empty. But really keep the whole area Muslim free because Muslims caused the death of so many just increases the fear people have of Islam and Muslims.
It increases nothing. You go build the mosque fifty miles away and nobody would realise the ground zero plan and decide to have an opinion about it.

Ibtisam   

^^Then it will be just another "muslim" mosque/ prayer hall, and what is the use of having another one. Really?

The fact people know and oppose or support this is a good thing, it means they are talking and this could lead to better interaction and coordination between the communities.

Sherban Shabeel: I think a cohesion center (as seeker and me said above) is just what that area needs and more appropriate than just a prayer place. I don’t think it is acceptable to build anything as such on ground zero itself, but I think a center for cohesion and understanding will be ideal somewhere it that area, because it signifies for the west at least the impact and influence of misinformation and misunderstanding between communities.

The average American doesn't even know where (and what) Europe is, so don't get your hopes up too high.

Ibtisam   

Looool @ The average American doesn't even know where (and what) Europe is!

I watched that youtube video too, but I am sure the awareness level is not THAT low across the country.

When and IF you ever call me up on it, I will explain it. smile.gif and yes I did have to use it, 9/11 means different thing to people from the East.- half serious

Tuujiye   

looool Seeker, is already done saaxiib!!! is old news.... yuhuud maa lacagdiideyso? masjidka sidaas uguma dhawaan doono Ground Zero..... Money Talks in New York people Money Talks! B.S walks maa la dhihi jiray....

The Mosque is not on Ground Zero so everything is cool... Their is a mosque hada ku yaala meeshaas agteeda and everything is fine......

Wareer Badanaa!!!

ailamos   

Originally posted by Sherban Shabeel:

The average American doesn't even know where (and what) Europe is, so don't get your hopes up too high.

useless generalizations won't get you anywhere, I thought you were smarter than that...

Ibtisam   

Ailamos: Are you offended icon_razz.gif I think he was joking, dont be so sensative.

Sherban I will answer you in the weekend inshallah, as long as you promise not to get upset or take it personal. smile.gif

ailamos   

There is a large, beautiful mosque, the Islamic Cultural Center of New York on the upper east side (below), and the Masjid Malcom Shabazz in Harlem...

mosque.jpg

SeeKer   

Originally posted by Sherban Shabeel:

What is East, what is West?

Not answering for Ibtisam here but the East/West boundaries were drawn with the words of Bernard Lewis and Edward Said.

Can I ask for minimal stereotyping and labeling please i.e the Americans and Jews comments mentioned. Much appreciated :D

Tuujiye, what is done? The center is not built yet icon_razz.gif . It is scheduled to open its doors on 9/11/2011, the 10th year anniversary of 9/11. A rally against the mosque is scheduled on June 6th by the Stop Islamicization of America (SIOA). The board that approved the building is also having second thoughts about the go ahead they gave the mosque. Should be quite a show me thinks.

ailamos   

Ailamos: Are you offended
icon_razz.gif
I think he was joking, dont be so sensative.

My bad if he was ;) it's lunch time and I've so far had a rough day at the office :rolleyes: ... besides I'm not a big fan of the European-inspired generalizations about the US...

Tuujiye   

Tuujiye, what is done? The center is not built yet . It will be opened on 9/11/2011, the 10th year anniversary of 9/11. Can I ask for minimal stereotyping and labeling please i.e the Americans and Jews comments mentioned. Much appreciated

waraa Seeker, the deal is done dhoorayhoo!! I don't like to post news in SOL ee mar hore aan soo dhajin lahaa....

what about the jews comments? don't you watch stand up comics and how much they bash Jews and Money? shiidh!

Wareer Badanaa!!!!

SeeKer   

^I don't watch much TV it rots the brains in my opinion lol. I just asked restraint in this particular discussion because it muddies the waters.

As for its old news it is actually relevant because it sets a precedent. My initial post said it was controversial to begin with but what makes it all the more so is the news of a second mosque being built in the same area. The board gave the approval , I believe on May 5th, but many community boards have given approvals before that have been retracted.

Here is one of the board members defending her views on the issue dated yesterday. That there is a planned protest over the approval means that some New Yorkers believe that they shout enough something might be done. I wouldn't be too quick to discount what symbolism this center might mean for Americans, Muslims, American-Muslims, New Yorkers or the rest of the world.

Ps:- I ain't no waraa icon_razz.gif