Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

NewYorkers against Mosque built at Ground Zero

SeeKer   

Interesting debate happening in NYC at the moment folks. There are plans to build a 13 story $100 million Islamic cultural center and mosque a couple blocks from Ground Zero. There have certainly been plenty of controversy regarding the plans and more so now that there is word of a second mosque being built closer to Ground Zero.

I have been to NYC a couple times visiting and I don't know anyone there. One of my trips coincided with Friday and I try never to miss Jumaa. The mosque we ended up praying at was so small, it was right off 5th Ave and people spilled out to the sidewalks to pray. I think having a mosque close to a site where people will flock to is great for travelers.

There are opinions out there that say that Muslims should be respectful of the lives lost due to Islamic terrorist actions and build elsewhere. Other people say that the mosque is an olive branch and not gloating, where people will come and pray daily. While some say compromise and dedicate one side of the building to a memorial of the lives lost and educate against the stereotype of muslims are terrorist.

Would you advise against the building or for the building of one or both mosques?

Ibtisam   

^^I disagree, we cannot afford to hide! We have to be open and not always act so gulity!

There are opinions out there that say that Muslims should be respectful of the lives lost due to Islamic terrorist actions and build elsewhere.

I don’t agree with these people. It would be a nice open Muslim center to look at issues like cohesion and greater understanding between communities. We as Muslims should not have to provide apologies for the actions of individuals, whether terrorist or murders or rapist!.

Other people say that the mosque is an olive branch and not gloating, where people will come and pray daily.

I am fine with it as long as it is NOT just a place of prayer, if they want a place JUSt for praying then it can be anywhere. It needs to provid answers to all the people who come or attack it/ Islam

While some say compromise and dedicate one side the building to a memorial of the lives lost and educate against the stereotype of muslims are terrorist.

A Memorial cannot be done as it goes against Islam. BUt educating people I think is a great idea.

No I wont. I dont think in abstract. Realistically, it will incite hate crimes simply because the people who lost their loved ones will not bear to see a mosque anywhere around there. So I say, find another freaking space and leave ground zero alone.

SeeKer   

Ibti, I am trying to find the plans for the building. It looks like a cultural center. The Cordoba institute and the American Society for Muslim advancement are collaborating on the project. The building apparently will have an arts center, a gym, a swimming pool, a mosque etc.

C & H, how would it incite hate? You know that also muslims died when the towers went down?

Edit- Never mind you answered the Q smile.gif

Ibtisam   

Seeker if that is th case, then I am all for it! See if you can find something on it smile.gif

I hate people/ communities who spend billions on building a mosque which is used just for praying and remains empty the rest of the time!

Saas dheh. They can build a Cultural center that has a Mosque in it. New Yorkers love their cultural centers and their arts. It will even attract tourists.

General,

I know Muslims died but not as much as other people.

SeeKer   

^^NYC love their culture......not this particular one at the moment though lol. I haven't been able to locate any imagery of what the building would look like but here is an excerpt of what the imam in charge said.

Feisal Abdul Rauf, a New York imam and a leader of the project, says the planned multi-storey Islamic center will transform both the drab lower Manhattan street and the way Americans have looked on Muslims since 9/11.

Boasting a mosque with sports facilities, a theater and possibly day care, the center would be open to all visitors to demonstrate that Muslims are part of their community, not some separate element.

"There's nothing like this that we know of in the United States," Rauf told AFP. "This will be a community center for everyone, not just for Muslims, but non-Muslims."

It will primarily be a mosque for worship but its wonderful that it will have all the other amenities for residents of the area too. smile.gif

Fox News is on hyperdrive with this particular story with a cut and paste compaign on for blogs. I think if they get enough misinformation out there it will be enough to put a wrench in the project :(

NGONGE   

A touch of diplomacy would not go a miss. Though I'm pulling C&H's hair on the other thread, I'm right behind her on this one. No need for a mosque on that particular spot.

Some people are lashing out against this project for all the wrong reasons, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what a silly and tactless move this is.

In a place where so many people died, you don't build an "Islamic cultural center", or a mosque, or a church, or anything like that.

You build a memorial, a park, a garden at most.

Ibtisam   

There are plans to build a 13 story $100 million Islamic cultural center and mosque
a couple blocks from Ground Zero

So it is not ground Zero, it is near it. Ground Zero can be a memorial, or a park or garden or even remain empty. But really keep the whole area Muslim free because Muslims caused the death of so many just increases the fear people have of Islam and Muslims.

No one is keeping the area Muslim free, that's just ridiculous. People of all faiths can go there.

But why the decision to build the mosque so close to Ground Zero? Is it a coincidence? I don't think so. There's a message behind it, and I can bet you my life the average American isn't going to understand it, and will find it encroaching and disrespectful. Try to build a mosque at Auschwitz, and you'll encounter just as much resistance, even though Muslims had nothing to do with the Holocaust. People want their tragedies untouched by something they perceive as foreign.

You are more than naive if you don't see how this project will increase tenfold the hatred of Americans for Muslims.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

A touch of diplomacy would not go a miss.

Word.