Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Almost 100 organizations around the globe will protest

What do these foreigners want? Leave us alone. This is not Paris or London. This is the great Canadian province of Ontario. As the priemer of Ontario already said ... "Islamic-Law is not inconsistent with rights"

Global groups unite against Islamic arbitration in Ontario

Last Updated Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:09:12 EDT

CBC News

Almost 100 organizations around the globe will protest Thursday against a proposal that would allow Islamic law to be used in family arbitration and mediation cases in Ontario.

Canadian and European feminist groups, dissidents from some Islamic states such as Iran, human-rights activists, writers and journalists will march Thursday in six European cities, and at least five Canadian ones. Protests will take place in Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, Ont., Montreal and Victoria, and in Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Gutenberg, Stockholm, London and Paris.

Speakers at the Canadian events will include journalists June Callwood, Irshad Manji and Sally Armstrong.

Sohaila Sharifi, an Iranian emigrant who is organizing the London protest, said the protests are part of a global battle between secular societies and "political Islam."

"If [hardline Muslims] win this fight in Canada, there is always the possibility that they would see it as a victory that could bring them one step forward," Sharifi said in an e-mail exchange with the Canadian Press.

"They would use the same argument to establish the same religious system here in Europe and elsewhere."

The Ontario proposal was developed by the former Ontario attorney general, Marion Boyd, and has been embraced by many Muslims - both conservative and mainstream.

It would make it legal for Muslims to seek Islamic arbitration and mediation for family disputes such as divorce, custody and inheritance cases. Boyd says this isn't the same as Shariah law, which - as practised in the Middle East - allows the death penalty for adultery, requires alimony to be paid for only three months, and tends to award custody of children to their fathers.

When the report was first released in Dec. 2004, critics said allowing Islamic arbitration would effectively legalize the suppression of Muslim women - while supporters argued it would be consistent with Canadian values of multiculturalism and tolerance.

At the time, Marilou McPhedran, lawyer for the Canadian Council of Muslim Women, said the report set the stage for the adoption of Shariah law in Ontario. McPhedran said it gave "legitimacy and credibility to the right-wing racists who fundamentally are against equal rights for men and women."

The report also angered Tarek Fatah, with the Canadian Muslim Congress, who said it would create "an under-class of underprivileged people who can go into their ghettos and deal with issues and not bother them."

Boyd was asked to review Ontario's Arbitration Act after the Islamic Institute of Civil Justice requested religious-based arbitrations, similar to those that have been used in Ontario for the past 15 years. Currently in Ontario, both Jews and Catholics can choose religious arbitration if they like.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/09/04/islamic_arbitration20050904.html

Castro   

Originally posted by TRUTH_BE_TOLD:

Not to disrespect anyone i think there should be sepration state and religion.

I do too, TBT. This is not unprecedented though as Jews and Catholics have the option for religious arbitration. What's odd is how this brought out all kinds of rabbits out of their holes. Of course, the demonization of Islam continues. From what I understand, the religious arbitration cannot break any existing Canadian laws so the fear of it is irrational. It is probably the case that those who would march against this have been told Bin Laden is coming to Ontario to change their "way of life." If Canadians pride themselves so much in being progressive, which I believe they are, this will pass and become law. If not, Jews and Catholics can't have it either since we can't have religions receiving preferential treatments. It's everybody or nobody.

Islam is a way of life which includes all values, behaviors, and details of living and separation of religion and state is not an option for us [true Muslim] for it means to exclude the law of Allah and calls for us to desert Allah's decree for that of a man.

Baluug   

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by TRUTH_BE_TOLD:

Not to disrespect anyone i think there should be sepration state and religion.

I do too,
TBT
You guys are both wrong.There can never be separation of religion and state because what would the point be of having Islam in the first place?Leaders of Islamic countries have more of a duty to their subjects than just balancing the budget and building roads and cutting taxes etc.

They are also to encourage them to be good Muslims and to rule by the laws of Allah SWT,because Nabi Muhammad SCW said that anyone who rules by laws other than what Allah revealed is a disbeliever.There is a great deal of responsibility associated with being an Islamic leader(caliph) as evidenced by Umar bin-Khattab RA ,who used to say "I wish I was dust!!" due to his responsibilities.

And it doesn't matter if the leaders of today are corrupt or tyrants,Allah told us to be patient.Besides,if they don't rule according to the laws of Islam or are hypocrites,that's their punishment in the afterlife,not ours.We only need to be worried about ourselves and our soul and do good deeds according to what we can do.

Kruella   

My organization is part of the March as well, very anti-Shariah I must say. I’m glad the weather is rotten today…it’s raining… good for them!!! I’m not for separation of church and state when it comes to Islam. We either live by the rules of God or we let some man make the rules of law for us. Which one is more just? Who is more Just than Allah, the best of judges? However when it comes to Shariah in Ontario, it’s a different territory, no matter how well we attempt to apply the law, Canadian law will always take precedent. So I don’t see the point of making a supreme divine law secondary to a man made law. Unofficial arbitration is already practiced in Masjids across the country; Once we make it “official†there will be talks of reform and rethinking the shariah debates.

Salam

Liibaan what made you think that we are wrong?I still stand my point they should be seperation of state and religion.Every country has so many different religion followers and you don't want enforce others on something they don't believe in.if muslims want want rule by sheria let the form a nation for the muslims and we will see what happens.I still stand the canandian muslims shouldn't be given special favour than other religions.let us start sheriah in somalia which claims 99.9% muslim and see how it works.

Khayr   

Salams,

Originally posted by Kruella:

no matter how well we attempt to apply the law, Canadian law will always take precedent. So I don’t see the point of making a supreme divine law secondary to a man made law.

and that is what they are trying to do...reitrate/restate over and over again

the main point which is

The Canadian law will supercede shariah

arbitration decisions in areas where

Shariah conflicts with Canadian law.

i.e. Divorce, inhertance, wills etc.

e.g. So if the Shariah gives more to sons in

terms of inhertance then daughters and an

arbitrator in family shariaw law gives that

decision, then that can

be considered Illegal according to Canadian,

French, British law etc. and to contravene

their Charter of Rights and state laws.

Fi Amanillah

Liibaan what made you think that we are wrong?I still stand my point they should be seperation of state and religion.Every country has so many different religion followers and you don't want enforce others on something they don't believe in.if muslims want want rule by sheria let the form a nation for the muslims and we will see what happens.I still stand the canandian muslims shouldn't be given special favour than other religions.let us start sheriah in somalia which claims 99.9% muslim and see how it works.

Truth be told........well let's look at this countries you claim have seperated religion from state.USA for instance and the whole of the west for that matter.Their constitution is The Bible,They enforce on those muslims that live there their way of life i.e you must ASSIMILATE,You must accept homesexuality as being normal,drinking as normal,co-habiting as normal,no parental control as normal,force them to give their children consent to have sex at a young age without marriage.

See it is already taking place ...ooh and for ISRAEL the TORAH is the NATION.So stop bleating this load of rubbish at us we are not blind OK.Therefore MUslims should be given the right to Govern themselves as they wish besides the others in Canada...christians etc do have these option so why not Muslims or are Muslims less deserving of this right....i ask you that Mr so called Truth be told

Baashi   

I'm not familiar with the details of this issue. That being said, I guess Ontario Province's decision in acknowledging the importance of Shariah for its Muslim citizens is step forward.

I feel sorry for the likes of Irshad and other self-hating confused souls who make a name for themselves by badmouthing, distorting, and marginalizing Islam and Muslim minorities in the West.

Oh! how Edward Saed was on the money when he wrote his memorable and much praised book Oriantalism. I recommend you to read it and understand the institutions that take the lead in reforming "Other" inferior cultures and religions in order to enlighten them and introduce them the Westren way of life.

The native activists ushered to fame by the kingmakers of the age, writers, thinktanks, governmental institutions, newspaper editorials and articles, TV images, etc when these Western forces converge they succeed. He was right 100%.

Jacpher   

Originally posted by TRUTH_BE_TOLD:

I still stand the canandian muslims shouldn't be given special favour than other religions.

Did you misapprehend the article mentioned both Jews and Catholics can choose their religious arbitration if they like?? Canada won’t be doing any favor for Muslims if they accept this proposal. Instead, they would be in accordance with their democratic values and show some fairness.

My friend wake up, there isn’t such thing as separation of religion & state. Half the time, it is only the written law not the visible reality.

Sorry Ducuqabe and i will say thanks for mentioning the both Jews and Catholics can choose their religious arbitration if they like.i have not read that last few lines of the article.I believe the should be seperation of state and religion,but if they let both Jews and Catholics can choose their religious arbitration if they like then muslim have the right. I was thinking muslims were the first ones to ask for this.

Mr O i don't know what part of USA you live in,but no one ask you to ASSIMILATE orforce you to accept homesexuality as being normal,drinking as normal,co-habiting as normal,no parental control as normal,force them to give their children consent to have sex at a young age without marriage. They have their right to do what they want as long it is not harm or danger anyones life.

CHE   

I would be making a mistake if I choose to comment on the whys and why nots(not to say I am not pleased) and all the other technicalities.However, I'l take the liberty to comment on the canadian double standards.On what basis do they deny their muslim citizens a privilege(or a right) that they have granted citizens of other faiths? Now,Manji jee ,and her likes, quite perpelex me.On one hand, a major equalitarian,on the other she is suppressing the rights of the muslims.How do you reconcile the two?

Miriam1   

TORONTO (CP) - Ontario will not become the first Western jurisdiction to allow the use of a set of centuries' old religious rules called Shariah law to settle Muslim family disputes, and will ban all religious arbitrations in the province, Premier Dalton McGuinty told The Canadian Press on Sunday.

In a telephone interview with the national news agency, McGuinty announced his government would move quickly to outlaw existing religious tribunals used for years by Christians and Jews under Ontario's Arbitration Act.

"I've come to the conclusion that the debate has gone on long enough," he said.

"There will be no Shariah law in Ontario. There will be no religious arbitration in Ontario. There will be one law for all Ontarians."

McGuinty said religious arbitrations "threaten our common ground," and promised his Liberal government would introduce legislation "as soon as possible" to outlaw them in Ontario.

"Ontarians will always have the right to seek advice from anyone in matters of family law, including religious advice," he said. "But no longer will religious arbitration be deciding matters of family law."

Last December, a report from former NDP attorney general Marion Boyd recommended the province allow and regulate Shariah religious arbitrations in much the same way it does existing Christian and Jewish tribunals, setting off a firestorm of protests.

Currently, the Arbitration Act allows civil disputes ranging from custody and support to divorce and inheritance to be resolved through an independent arbitrator, if both parties agree.

Catholics, Mennonites, Jews, aboriginals and Jehovah's Witnesses, among others, have used the act to settle family law questions without resorting to the courts.

More

http://www.canada.com/news/national/story.html?id=4adaefa2-e576-4620-af87-cc70572dda44

Personal Thought

It would have been funny to watch the Ontario Gov getting sued from head to toes by all the Muslim Orgs if they only outlawed Sharia law(discrimination against muslims)

smart move outlawing all the other religious arbitrations....wonder if the Jews and Christrians will protest...maybe the can get some tips from the Irani women!

Conspriacy Thread

Why was this annouced on Sept 11?

Think about it