Sign in to follow this  
Jurnee

LIVE 8

Jurnee   

I was reading the paper today and alot of it was dedicated to the recent Live 8 concerts being held around the world. Even though its all for a good cause i couldnt help but feel really sad that it was an entire project aimed at helping Africa. I guess its that African pride of mine that is talking but the main reason i felt sad was that once again we need the 'western world' to come in and save us (i think mostly from each other)and how we have failed to help ourselves.

So what are ppls views on whats happening with these concerts and the campaign to eradicate Africa's debt and lessen poverty?

PS.i thought it was interesting that K'naan is performing in Barrie,Canada and Maryan Mursal is performing in Eden

Miriam1   

I just saw K'naan's performance it was AMAZING! the guy has a seoriusly powerful voice and a great great ability to sing, wwwwwwwwwwooooowwwwwwwww.. he did represent, LOVED IT, Glad he was there,

even though the Set befor him was SO useless, two women who I have know idea what they were saying or singing about...th french...

they should have left him sing both sets, the people loved him. I am PROUD! lol ouh I hope he gets, great coverage from this and goes further Inshallah, he is so talented.

Paragon   

^^^ If you go wacth UK's Eden Project live 8 through the internet...called: Africa calling, you might be lucky to catch Maryan Mursal sing with the Womad group. She and other Somali singers are wearing the blue of the Somali flag.

www.bbc.co.uk/live8event then click on africa calling

lol   

Shan: U r not the only one, I was in tears .. seeing that we need others to donate us money so that we can resolve our own internal problems.. and diseases that are eradicated off the other world's surface.

Its really sad very sad... and wat are we as somalis doing to help ourselves? nothing!

10.jpg

Oh MY GOD!!!!!

I just got back from the concert, and it was smashing.

I completely missed the ColdPlay set (shidh shidh shidh), but I got to see Keane, Travis, Snow Patrol, Razorlights, Madonna, Annie Lennox and Snoop performing (not to mention Brad Pitt and Kofi Annan - ).

I know am not anwsering your questions Shankaroon, but bare with me...I am buzzing!

Mucho, mucho thanks to Thierry for the tickets.

16.jpg

Sing, sing, sing...

"Bollocks to Poverty"

Gr8 Concert. Gr8 Cause. Gr8 Atmosphere.

Here are a couple of personal pics from where I was standing....behind 50 million people...or atleast thats how it looked. That was the closest I got to the stage, after slowly zigzagging my way through the crowd for 3hrs. :D

Well worth the ordeal.... :D

23142776_a0482c74bd.jpg?v=0

23142258_6abd5d31e2.jpg?v=0

23143741_b82bdd0d20.jpg?v=0

23142256_0f59b4e063.jpg?v=0

I'm most proud of my souvenirs - wristband, bandana and batch. And I refuse to take them off anytime soon. :D

Participate. Make Poverty History. smile.gif

STOIC   

It was great and beautiful watching so many people raising their voice like that!.I literally cried when Geldof introduced the beautiful Ethiopian girl.Mother Africa,a continent which was ravaged by 400 years of slave trade and now a superimposing Imperial force is sucking 15billion dollar a year of its market!.We may all ask ourselves what really went wrong with Africa?,why is Africa in the hardrock situation it is in today?,What forces internally or externally,physical or philosophical obstacles that is keeping our continent down.Millions of questions went through my mind as my tush got glued to the sofa infront of my TV.Africa problem is one that is caused by both internal and external force .Internally Africa is suffering from more political struggle,corruption,and civil wars that are all the product of post colonial.From Somalia to Angola,Liberia to Sierra Leone, the continent is faced with greed and government mismanagement.Now i will be unfair and unrealistic to dwell on this obvious points of corrupt government.Africa has both it's rascals and intellectuals all equally!.Africa however has been ignored by the superpowers.America a country that i thought with so many Black people will pay more attention has never had a sound African policy.All America did was make it more unstable with the influx of gun companies that supply weapons.The most emblematic problem that Africa is facing today has been caused by this weapons.This weapons have proliferated the children and the public .Today African debt crisis and imbalanced global trade has descend the continent to the nadir of it's fortune!.

**too late now-gotta go to bed, will continue with the external force some other time****

nafta   

Can you believe I was offered tickets and I refused....REFUSED!! what was i thinking...I mean it, really....what was I thinking

I sat at home watching it on tv, that was my only comfort...

P.S. athena you didn't by chance take any pictures of Brad Pitt did you? smile.gif

^

23255368_9aed4dbeed.jpg?v=0

I know its bad pic and even unclear.... but....

He is just a beautiful man. I dont think I heard or understood or even if it really mattered what he said. The fact that he was there was good enough. smile.gif

Senora   

^^^ Silly Rabbit icon_razz.gif , you could've passed it on!!^^ @ Nafta

I just watched much of the performances on AOLmusic.com ! FANTABULOUS!!!

01405.jpg

2005-07-02T210329Z.JPG

Bono, Madonna, Shakira, Mariah, Stevie & Adam Levine rocked!!!

" We can't solve all of the worlds problems, but for what we can, we must !!! "

Zephyrine You missed Coldplay!! Absolute disaster. *Gives consoling pat on shoulder P.S i saw some hijabified somali looking chick distantly in the crowd perhaps it was you?.

watched Live 8 live down under. Only wished I was there. :( . Now i guess all eyes will be on Scotland and the G8 summit. Hopefully a helluva alot of people will come. Best case scenario the G8 summit wont know what hit them. Worst case scenario protestors get interupted by playing golf and eating haggis. :D (sorry very poor joke)

Now back to the topic. The way i see it poverty in Africa cannot be solved alone by Africans or by Europeans it would take a collective effort. The whole point of live 8 was to raise the awareness of the G8 public. The citizens of these nations would place added pressure on their leaders to deliver on promises to increase aid, remove debt and create more fair trade practices. All of which would improve the situation in Africa. Live 8 wont remove poverty in Africa in the short term but its a commendable start. I have to say the concern shown by your everyday bloke/sheila was probably one of the greatest successes of Live8 . So im all for it. Big ups to Bob.

Make Poverty History, Make Trade Fair, Control Arms.

Sky   

That was a huge spectacle! Some cousins of mine in Columbus went to the concert in Philly. There were like a million ppl damn! Know lets hope the G8 summit in Scotland will be affected by this mass cry for help for Africa.

Make History Poverty!

Nomadic_Princess:

You have no idea how awfully tragic it felt. I went there JUST to see them. Even sadder, I was already in Hyde park, walking towards the concert area (half-a-bloody-mile away), when I heard Chris Martin's dulcet tones--my heart almost fell out of my chest. I was utterly gutted. :(

P.S i saw some hijabified somali looking chick distantly in the crowd perhaps it was you?.

LoL, probably not. Strangely enough, I strongly believe that my doppelgänger was there, 'cause I looked up at one point and saw myself screaming and jumping up and down on the big screen, only to realise, NO it wasn't me (I wasn't screaming OR jumping, I was actually sitting down). It looked like me, it was even dressed like me, but IT WASN'T ME. How completely mindboggling is that?

Baluug   

So we get a concert every 20 yrs to highlite Africa's perilous situation.I guess it's better than nothing,but I think this whole thing will be forgotten very soon and little or nothing worthwhile will be done to alleviate the suffering of the African population.I think if all Muslims were paying their zakaah properly,this situation wouldn't be so bad.