Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

Tradgic Death Stuns World...............

Salaan...

I watched the drama unfolded before my very own eyes yesturday as am sure several other nomads did. Walaahi it nearly brought tears to my eye it was very sad.

It was yet another reminder if we needed that death will vist every soul, most probably when you least expect it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Foé death shocks football

Theirry henry dedicated his first goal in France's 3-2 win over Turkey to Cameroon's Marc-Vivien Foé, 28,who died suddenly during his team's 1-0 win over Colombia in the other semi-final of the Confederations Cup. Tributes have been flowing in for the Manchester City midfielder.

RE-LIVE: France edge Turkey in semis

CONFEDERATIONS CUP: Title-holders on home soil

"There are no words to describe it. We learned about it when we arrived, actually when the players were warming up," said an emotional Santini, who coached Foé at Lyon. Some like former Lyon team-mate Grégory Coupet openly wept during the moment of silence before the Turkey match.

Santini asked the Cameroonian's former team-mates Coupet and Sidney Govou if they wanted to sit out the Turkey match, but in the end both decided to play.

Foe had spent the season on loan to Manchester City and the Premiership club were hoping to sign him from Lyon.

He had previously played for West Ham United, after moving there in a £4m deal in 1999.

FIFA chief Sept Blatter insists Sunday's final between France and Cameroon should go ahead, but his opinion goes against those of players obtained by Eurosport.

Sidney Govou (France & Lyon striker)

"I don't know if Cameroon will play the final on Sunday, but it is going to be hard, they don't have a mind for playing football right now, neither do we.

"So we will have to take the best decision for everyone and especially in the memory of Foe. I don't know if we should play this final on Sunday, if it were up to me I wouldn't but it isn't up to me who decides."

Mikael Silvestre (France & Manchester United defender)

"We learnt about it just before the start of the match, when we were to come onto the field before the anthems. There wasn't a sound in the dressing rooms and everyone was shattered.

"Most of the players shed a few tears and we needed a lot of courage to go out onto the field and win that match."

Robert Pires (France & Arsenal midfielder)

"We were stunned, knowing him a little. It was heartbreaking. At one point we even asked ourselves should we play. It was what we decided to do. What is good on that all three goals we spared a thought for him. It was our way of paying a final tribute to him.

"He was a guy who was very friendly, very nice, very fair on the field. It hurts to hear this.

"The way it happened it proves it can happen to anyone and at any age.

"We wanted to pay him a final tribute and we will do that on Sunday with the Cameroon team. Our hearts go out to them.

"If I was a Cameroon player, personally I wouldn't play on Sunday, because it is important for him, it is dramatic. [if it was up to me], no, I wouldn't play."

Dr Jean-Marcel Ferret, French national team doctor (formerly at Lyon)

"We learnt about it during the warm-up that he had been taken off and very quickly rumours that he had died began to circulate. We were shattered, shocked, [me] especially as a doctor. To lose someone who's in full possession of his means at his age, a top level athlete is always difficult to understand and to accept.

"He was a player I knew well at Lyon. It is a loss for us."

"None of the regular medical checks showed anything special. It appears from the very first analysis that it may have had nothing to do with football, like a ruptured aneurysm. For something like that sports has nothing to do with it. It is something that could have happened to him climbing stairs, but we will have to wait for further studies, the autopsy to know a little more."

Olivier Kapo (France & Auxerre midfielder)

"I played against him two years ago, when he was at Lyon and we saw the pictures and it killed me. I wish much courage to his Cameroon colleagues and to his family. And I hope that FIFA will be able to support his family."

Vulcan Arslan (Turkey & Galatasaray forward)

"We are naturally in shock for the player. We mourn the person."

OTHER REACTIONS:

Harry Rednap (Portsmouth coach, formerly at West Ham)in the Times of London and the Daily Telegraph:

"I had been speaking with Marc and would have liked to bring him to Portsmouth. I actually faxed an offer to him today [Thursday] and he was going to read it tonight."

"You couldn't have met a nicer fella, a quieter, more gentle giant than Marc. He was a fantastic boy, as strong as an ox.

"This has come as a shock because you never saw a fella in better physical condition. He looked after himself. It's always sad when you lose people but you could never have met a nicer person than Marc. Everybody loved him.

"You only had to see the reaction of the French players last night as they were lining up for the national anthems. Thierry Henry was crying his eyes out and the goalkeeper was inconsolable. Everybody who came in touch with him will feel the same way.

"He was such a terrific footballer. Sir Alex Ferguson tried to sign him before I took him but he broke his leg the day before he was due to sign for United. Sir Alex kept in touch with him over the last five or six years, as I did, and he will be devastated."

John Wardle (Manchester City chairman)in the Daily Mail:

"Marc made an excellent contribution to our successful return to the Premiership and was very highly regarded by his fellow players. He'll be sadly missed by his team-mates, not just as a player but also as a friend."

------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never seen someone callapse and die infront of me eyes but this was as close and it really shocked me. Naftani meel foog ma jogto...it can be taken away at anytime, anyday and most of all anywhere.

lambda   

Wax laga naxo way tahay how old was he 27?

The german trainer of cameroon was against playing on sunday but the sportminister dicided to play .

yea i was watchin' dat last night...me and my ayeeyo was SHOCKED...man dem was boppin' n thing..next minute miiskinkaa dhuulka bu ka war dooneey...this could happen 2 any fit person...any second and u could be gone with the wind..ilahey dadkaa muslimiinta qabrigood ha u nuuriyo...amiin

N.O.R.F   

A player who i have respected since his days in france and who was gonna sign for Man Utd but broke his leg. I was sat here watching with the whole fam when he just collapsed and walahi from the 1st moment that the camera fixed on him layng there, i was in shock and privetly thought to my self, this is serious. I was impressed with his last season at Man City and he scored some goals that made me click my index finger against my middle finger, as u do when a fine goal is scored.

As a football fan this has been very shockin and shows to us all that if yr 28 and in the peak of yr physical condition, death can be just around the corner. They still dont know what the reason for his death was, a stroke has been ruled out by the doctors. Its a sign as well as a reminder by Allah (swt) that life is not granted even for the fit and healthy. As regular player, i think thats scariest thing.

Bachelor   

I was watching the game life and immediately sense something wrong with that guy. At the same time i have learnt that MALAK'UL MA'WIT is everywhere.

AYOUB   

The dignified Cameroon players have always a represented Africa better than Senegal and Nigerian teams with their blonde hair and earings.

One thing I might add, did you see the picture of Foe with his hand hanging aside? If this was Beckham would the newspapers do this to him? I think not.

I AGREE WITH YOU AYOUB

THE DISGUST THAT CAME TRHOUGH WHEN I SAW THE PICTURE ON THE BACKPAGE OF THE DAILY MAIL WAS SICKENING.

THE WHITED SURELY WOULDNT HAVE DONE IT IF IT WAS A WHITE PLAYER

N.O.R.F   

white ppl are white ppl, anything to disrespect a respectful blck man is all good to them!

I purposefully did not buy any papers that day cos i was still in shock and did not sleep well that nite and didnt want it to get any worse!