Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Pride in NZ's first Somali soldier

Paragon   

Just read this thread and think ahead 20 or 25 years in peaceful Somalia. People getting at each other's throats because of the polarising opinions they have. "War taxi driving waa fiican yahay" and "beenloow taksiilenimo ma nuureyso" or "askari markaan gaal u noqonaaye ma aqligaa dooni la iga saarey" and "waraa adiga ma jirtid nooh, askarimada waa wax lagu faano" is the beggining of bigger rifts. Then, in Somalia, I hope we'll find a medium of communication amongst ourselves, as our opinion diverge.

Anigu, I wouldn't say anything against this fella. Heck I would say good luck man, it's your choice. After all, Sayid C/Xassan use to say, Gacan Weliga Naftay Goyso . Hadduu wiilkan Muslimiin dilaayo iyo hadii kaleba waa mid isaga u taal oo damiirkiisa ayeey ku xiran tahay. Hadii sababtuu askari u noqday sababo kale yihiin, waxaaba suurta gasha inuu isaga baxo kolkuu danihiisa ka gaaro. Mark there shouldn't be much fuss about his choice now.

Im buffled by comments made by the Solers in on this thread. Now who of you knows that this guy may end up killing muslims in his lifetime of service? If anyone can be that forward thinking then perhaps they can foresee their demise and how they will die too. Secondly I cant see why you keep bashing anyone who tries to make life work for them and the list goes on from welfare, taxi drivers, marfish vendors and now a soldier who may or may never ever kill anyone. I dont see what is so wrong with making something of your life.

I know taxi drivers who richer than white colar workers anyday so is it the image or the job that you find unbearable? Could it be that this is away of making yourselves more comfortable in reflection to your failed lives?

In any case the enemy of Somalis is Somali. All you gotta see is your backyards and how our own kill our own and both being Muslims.

Castro   

^^^^ You're right, we were unduly harsh on the young brother.

He chose a path and he's pursuing it. Something difficult to achieve at any age, let alone 23. How many of you can say that of yourselves? You're probably languishing in some god forsaken University studying for a god forsaken degree that you don't even like and getting C's in all your classes. That's if you've even made it out of high school.

Fariid baad tahay Faarax fanaxlow. I take back what I said about you.

P.S. And driving a cab is an honorable occupation. Y'all should try getting a job sometime instead of living at mommy's house and burping all over the internet.

Ms DD   

He might be deployed in Afghanistan. Do you think he si going there to party with the muslims over there?

Somalis killing each other is neither here nor there as it isnt about the subject. Stop waxa aad isku walaaqeysaan. New thread for muslims killing each other. But for now, this bloke will be paid to 'liberate muslims'. I am sorry but the way i see it, this guys is fighting for the wrong side of the fence. New muslim army, I might understand.

"But now they see that I have done it. If I can do it, they can do it. Most of my community do taxi driving and things like that,"

With this kind of comment from Mr. Farah, it is natural to see a backlash from the nomads. This is Somalia Online folks. Nomads will "give it to ya" if you seem to be stepping out of bounds specially when talking to western media.

As for me, I am kind of surprised a dude who left Somalia six years ago would choose the army as a profession let alone belittle the career choices of his fellow Somalis (taxi drivers). You would think that the trauma of war is still fresh in his memory.

Good luck to the brother and to the many out there trying to make it.

Originally posted by Brofessor_Geeljire:

^^War ninyow I asked you Sual of curiosity, maxa keenay "pathetic"? And I don't think the rant above explains "forward" or " backward thinking".

OK :D

Waryee@,Naga daa dee arimahas smile.gif

Ibtisam   

Ms DD and Co :D

New Zealand only has 123 personnel in Afghanistan and they participate in reconstruction, rather than finding Taliban. The two other places New Zealand army is deployed ins East Timor and Solomon Islands. As far as I know there is no war going on in either, where he will be randomly killing people. The fact of the matter is, this brother will pick up some vital training and survival skills [providing he does not give up due to racism and bullying] which he can use for the rest of his life regardless of where he goes. If Somalia become stable, who knows maybe he teach them how to aim and shoot with out killing 10 stand bys. Let him learn western warfare, it may come in hand in the future for the Muslims or Somalia.

Some soldiers stay in the army for years and years without killing anyone, I am not surprised that he joined the army, it is the only thing he knew back home, might as well perfect the skill.

You cannot compare driving a taxi with the army, driving a taxi clearly has no transferable beneficial skills and leads to depression and brain dead. A young person in the west with all the available options and opportunities should not see taxi driving as a career choice [you can do it to make money for few months if you must]. Some of our parents may have arrived in western countries at old age with language and skill barriers and in order to provide for their families, started driving taxis or security guards etc, and while that is respectable as they were only trying to make do with their ability at the time. You are in a better position to try something else.

So stop hating on the brother, nurses, doctors etc are good, but few people doing odd things is great in the long term. smile.gif

Ms DD   

Ibti

Dont you think being a soldier also leads to depression? It is only somalia where the soldiers become dictators but elsewhere life after army isnt great for them. I dont see any prospect.

Yes we may be in better position to try something else, ut in my humble opinion, being in the army isnt one of them.

Muslim01   

I hope he is ignorant of 'al-Wala' so if he dies in that state, Allah Ta'ala will forgive him: becuase of his ignorance of the rulings on assisting the kuffar against the Muslims.

May Allah guide him, ameen.

Iris   

Originally posted by Rahima:

The brother needs to be given a handbook on al-walaa' wal-baraa'. Might learn a few things!

Many who know the meaning of the words do much worse than most.

Our way of thinking amuses me to no end, had he picked up a gun in Burco or whereever, no one would've criticised him. Why must every action taken by a Somali in the Western world be deemed unacceptable after what seems like endless (and brainless) scrutiny?

Paragon   

Pick up a gun in Burco against who exactly? Picking up a gun isn't what is criticised here, its against WHO the gun is picked that is a matter of contention.