Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Entrepreneurs!

Baashi   

Let me clear one thing: the aim of education is not to reach financial success, but rather for personal development and practical trades. this is to expand your knowledge and values and teach you problem solving(to empower your society).

U r right Xassan. I concede. To clarify though...the way this discussion is framed is not from societal prespective but from personal objective. It is a human nature to look for one's self...and if that is true i for one, would like to reach a finacial freedom, little independence so I don't have to work for anybody. In US, schools are expensive and once u graduate there are no guarantees that you would land a job. What I'm saying is that u could enhance ur personal development and skills without taking this well known route that is to go school to college and then look for job. Instead of that there is another option. That option is for the risk takers..entreprenuers!

Kool_Kat   

Business is the better option than the Education

Baashi, what happens if your business isn't a success one? What do you do if your business idea isn't as bright as you think it is, and fails? Just cuz having a business gives you freedom, doesn't mean you'll succeed... But if you have your education, NO ONE can take that away from you... Whether your business idea fails or succeeds...

How could you be independent and have financial freedom if you're uneducated... Or the type of business you're talking about is one of those local business, where they barely make any profit out of it... Like a small corner store... If you are gonna dream, dream big... I would rather go to school, than to have a corner store where I can barely hire anyone, and I am the only one working there from 10am to 10pm... I rather work for someone make $15/hr, work from 9-5 and worry about nothing when I go home... But the again, that's just me...

Education is the key to success...

N.O.R.F   

can you not be educated and run yr own business? why is it one over the other? cant u run a business and study at the same time? cant u use your educated mind to create a business?

why are we limiting our selves to just one aspect?

Blessed   

^^^^ agree with you again. I am actually getting bored of constantly agreeing with ya icon_razz.gif

I think that you can certainly, have both but it takes longer, I guess!

Personaly, I've always fancied the idea of being my own boss. I doubt that I'll be able to realise that dream with a helping hand of an extremely wealthy husband....

At this point in my life I have other priorities, so I haven't given it much thought.

Baashi   

Kool_kat,

C'mon kool...I meant Education "as we know it" and u u yanked that part heh! Seriously though pple get educated in many ways...am kind of, well how i should say this, let me put this way i have reservation about schooling like when folks spend 4yrs majoring geoghraphy, performing arts, etc.

As to the possibility of ur business failing. Well that could happen. Failure is not an option but if it comes to that; u can still work as unskilled worker to get the ends meet. U see I wanna own the means of production itself. It is worth trying to strive for that kind of dream.

Northerner,

To answer ur question, yes absolutely.

Ameenah,

lol@ finding wealthy husband...taajir kabalaawe are arround...take into account the possiblity.

alright MA KOOL CAT. are we afraid of failure? to be frank, only those that take risks in life are rewarded. in fact many business ventures do fail, but are you gona step on the side and see others taking risks and succeeding. i know some folks that took such risks by opening small businesses in somali market and reaping rewards.

as for financial success, i know that even my manager who makes ...uper 80s doesnt have more than three months of emergency funds in money market. the rest of his money is working slowly at nowadays, but nevertheless great overall.

employee matched 401k contribution is a good start. then there are other engines. we , somalis are known to have a burning enterpreneurial spritit that even puts to shame the indians who monopolized east africa for decades. take a risk, couple of income tax returns(in USA,NOT CHEAP EUROPE) could do wonders!!! :D;);)

Salaan...

Originally posted by Baashi:

3. Settle down (marry the right person to insure success in ur life), Acquire knowledge by reading, Set up ur own profitable business, make difference with whatever u got, and ensure ur kids have the right guidence.

Aw, do you have the leaking on the sealed document on my future planning? Maan. Someone had accessed the thoughts on my mind--illegally. cool-smiley-030.gif Baashi, we have to talk, maan. I am still wondering how exactly you got what I WAS THINKING SINCE I CAME QURBA: Educate yourself at least reading too much of the right material. Find and marry the right person. Save some dollars. Open a HUGE BAQAAR AT BAKAARAHA, and expose my future kids, insha allah, to the right environment. Exactly what you wrote. icon_smile_cool.gif

How could you be independent and have financial freedom if you're uneducated... Or the type of business you're talking about is one of those local business, where they barely make any profit out of it... Like a small corner store... If you are gonna dream, dream big... I would rather go to school, than to have a corner store where I can barely hire anyone, and I am the only one working there from 10am to 10pm... I rather work for someone make $15/hr, work from 9-5 and worry about nothing when I go home... But the again, that's just me...

Sister Kool-Kat, I don't know how you define education. I had seen some terrible, terribly educated people that cannot put down two sensible words on paper, and yet they are EDUCATED, papering on your face the diploma/degree. On the other hand, there are those self-educated, more knowledgeable, and had never set a foot on a higher institution. One more thing, business is business. I would rather opt to have a small corner store business that I own than start to build an monolithic empire like Microsoft as Bill Gates did, and die it on the hands of others, who might sell the next day. Make a living well enough that can support you and your family without worrying shareholders, company structurals, etc.

Macsalaama!!

Kool_Kat   

u can still work as unskilled worker to get the ends meet.

Baashi, rest my case with you... Never will I work as an unskilled worked, when I can go to school and get an education...

Xasan Nasra, no I am not afraid of taking risks, but you gotta have something to fall back on... Walaahay, I see so many ppl who started a small business and when it failed they didn't know where to begin... They can't get a well paying job, cuz they didn't have the experience or the education...

MMA, education is the key to life... Whether you go to school, or you simply educate yourself... My point here is to have an EDUCATION, regardless... No Education = No Success... That's all... :D

Baashi   

MMA,

Man! Qurboland gave us unlimited opportunities that was not available to us when were back home. But again good comes with all kind of surprises...right! How about opening macmacaan kiosk with shushumow, sanbuusi, xalwo dambiil, etc right there in Toronto...or that business is taken already.

Xasan nasra allah,

401k is not sure bet nowadays! After all Enron and Montana utility company were lately in the news.

Kool-kat,

Are u sure that u will not have to work as an unskilled worker after u had attained ur PHD? Degree waving folks are in line seeking an offer from business men. When the tough get going i would rather be a business man with dough in bank than graduates who put all their eggs in careers basket. Education is important...but people who dream big, risk takers, those who have what it takes always have one thing in common and that is they all work over time to succeed and strive for independence...they see schooling as a means not as end. And if the end is realizable without schooling they go for it...they are entreprenuers.

Kool_Kat   

Baashi, ok walaalo... Baldar alla kudag... I guess I'll push my eggs in career basket, while you work over time and make the big bucks... :D

baashi, brathar yaa ku dhahay company stock ku wada investi garee waxaad aduun xilo iyo xoola lahayd!

well, you can use a variety of bonds, company stock, mutual funds, money market. so unlike enron employees who were all invested in enron company stocks, you would be invested in fixed income securities , annuities and some stocks.

koolkaat, you are right , finishing school is NUMERO UNO!!

mahadi   

It is my belief that some level of education is necessary to be sucessful in business. However, this does not necessarily mean college degrees, etc. Education can be obtained through a variety of means, but one must be knowledgeable or willing to obtain knowledge of the area in which they hope to pursue.

What is more important is the proper attitude. A business person is an educated risk taker, has persistence, learns from mistakes (because there are likely to be a lot), adaptable to new circumstances.

In modern society, a degree of some sort is extremely helpful in building the credibility necessary to gain access to capital. It is not the only way, successful businesses have been created through a vareity of means.

In the context of diasporic communities, I think that community is very important to the fostering of successful business ppl. No person is an island, without the proper support and help no business will be succesful.

I have pursued both the business and academic tracks at different points in my life. right now I am on the academic track, because of a mixture of circumstances, but definitely see myself returning to entrepreneurship soon.

Btw, I think the personality of an entrepreneur is necessary in most successful endeavors.

my two cents...

P.S. Baashi how you doing?