Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

Glamorous Hijabis in Marie Claire

Blessed   

Typical hijab look of Emarati, khaleeji women. I think it's fab. :cool: though these photos are abviously a little too sexed up. I guess, without those seductive poses and a bit of flesh the shoot would be too boring and religious for MC. :rolleyes:

I'm kinda bored with the black look though, I prefer the new abaya / jilbaab styles coming out of the UK.

Love them tight fitted cabaya. :D

Dhucdhuc may I please get the Link. Looks like I need to shop till I drop very soon. The Glasses are sensational. Me want Link, thanks! ;)

Aisha   

Those girls were stunning........but I feel as if they're just contradicting themselves! I don't call that wearing hijab!

-Lily-   

They look great of course, minus the fitted abayas, but Hijab isn't just clothes but an attitude. All the bling bling reeks of materialism when the Hijab is about focusing on the inner self rather than outer appearances. I don't think these girls realize the significance of being photgraphed gourging on McD's, it certainly isn't because they were hungry or McD's is cool.

Anyways, nice accessories.

But I must admit I'm feeling some of this glam... Looks Hot! Not very islamic. But it is still covering up. I'ma have to try that out. Where are the links!!!!

Blessed   

One Size Fits All

By Carrie Sloan

On paper, Muna bin Kalli and Maryam Al Hamly sound like they could be two of your closest friends. Their local shopping ground is the world famous Mall of the Emirates. Al Hamly, 24, is in PR; bin Kalli, 22, is an events coordinator. In their downtime, they like to watch TV and dish about their favorite shows. In fact, bin Kalli is addicted to Desperate Housewives. "It's hilarious," she says. "It's so real. You can relate it to your daily life!" Their daily lives, however, are no Wisteria Lane. Al Hamly and bin Kalli live in Dubai-one of seven city-states that comprise the United Arab Emirates, a Muslim country situated just east of Saudi Arabia on the Persian Gulf. The events bin Kalli coordinates are for the Dubai Ladies' Club, an organization run by Sheikha Manal bint Mohammed Al Maktoum, the daughter of the ruler of Dubai. As for the mall, besides retail options ranging from H&M to Ralph Lauren, it also boasts an indoor ski slope with actual falling snow, 7000 parking spaces, and-well, you've probably never heard of their favorite store: The First Choice, which sells abayas and shailas, the black robes and head-scarves bin Kalli and Al Hamly wear every day.

HEAD-SCARVES BY CAVALLI

Dubai doesn't have fashion police-or religious ones. Bin Kalli and Al Hamly aren't required to wear these robes; they choose to. "We're proud to wear the abaya," says Al Hamly. "It represents our culture. We can look glamorous and good and still be covered up." "Dubai is an expanding city-there are more expats than locals now," bin Kalli adds. "The abaya helps us differentiate ourselves from the nonlocals." To American women used to staring down a dizzying merry-go-round of new colors and trends each season-Nautical! Menswear! Bohemian!-an abaya could seem like a relief: insta-wardrobe. But as it turns out, buying one isn't quite that simple. First, it's more a bespoke process than off-therack. Consider the fit: "We don't have ‘mediums' or ‘size 12s,'" says Al Hamly. "Each shop has a special tailor who measures you every time you go. The only rule is that it's comfortable. They make shorter abayas to go with short heels, longer ones for higher heels." Nor are abayas and their accompanying shailas meant to be humorless shrouds. "My favorite head-scarves are by Moschino," says bin Kalli. "They make ones with hearts or peace signs on them." But, she adds, "If you want to be noticed, you wear Roberto Cavalli." Noticed? In a black robe that shows only your hands, feet, and face? Indeed, in Dubai, wearing the abaya does not have to mean eschewing fashion. On the contrary, the style of robes and head-scarves women wear-to say nothing of the makeup, jewelry, and handbags they accessorize with ("We spend a fortune on handbags," confides Al Hamly)-combine to make a declarative fashion statement.

GLAMOUR IN THE GULF

Abayas, when worn in public, are always black. (Jalabiyas, on the other hand-the Arabian-style dresses women typically wear to entertain guests at home-are sold in every color of the rainbow.) An "everyday" abaya, which costs between $80 and $190, is usually made of crepe. "It's the fabric of choice for Gulf women," says Al Hamly. This regional preference has nothing to do with the heat, which can reach an oppressive 120 degrees during the hottest months. Rather, crepe-or krebe, as it's known here-is slightly stretchy (read: less likely to rip), and it irons well. (Important since women in Dubai typically wash their abayas every three days or so, with special detergent formulated not to fade the black color.) Still, even in a country where black is the new black, a woman can have a little fun. "You can play around a bit with the style to be different," says bin Kalli, whose favorite casual abaya has denim embroidery on the sleeves. Then there are special-occasion abayas: often a base of delicate black chiffon, transformed-by way of colorful embroidery, Swarovski crystals, and hand-beading-into a couturequality work of art. "Normally, we wear abayas that are decorated with lots of color at weddings," says bin Kalli, "or to the kind of gathering where girls get together." These black-tie versions are costly, though: They run roughly 4000 dirhams ($1000 U.S.) a pop. Nevertheless, just as in the West, women in Dubai are prepared to hand over the money if it helps them stand out. In fact, the pressure to look original is so intense that Al Hamly and bin Kalli often forgo the mall and import instead: "I shop for abayas that make me look different than other women," Al Hamly explains. "Some I order special from Saudi Arabia." The process can also be secretive: "Certain girls are reluctant to reveal where they had their abayas made, because they fear someone will copy them," she adds. To thwart the competition, women tend to buy from artisans who design right out of their homes.

DOES MY BUTT LOOK BIG IN THIS ABAYA?

The latest abaya craze in Dubai is the "butterfly" cut, which flitted onto the fashion scene about six months ago-though its inspiration, Al Hamly believes, is much older. "There used to be a one-piece abaya that older women wore," she says. (Meaning there was no separate head-scarf; you simply threw the fabric over your head.) The butterfly, it seems, grew out of that cocoon. Cut like a Batman cape, from behind, the butterfly abaya gives the appearance of wings. Al Hamly already has one on order: "It has gold lining around the edges. The headscarf has different shades of bronzeand gold-colored Swarovski crystals to give it a metallic feel," she says, adding, "it will go really well with my bronze Balenciaga bag!" Still, she does admit to some trepidation over the new trend: "I'm not sure if I'll have the courage to wear it," she says. "The butterfly cut tends to look best on tall, thin girls. It might make me look wider." Beyond the fashion deliberations, wearing a floor-length black robe does present certain practical concerns: Abayas tear easily-especially if you're a working girl. "They get caught in the wheels of our office chairs, and you can't really mend them," says bin Kalli. As a result, women tend to buy new abayas monthly. "I have no idea how many I own," says Al Hamly. "More than 30, combined with those I share with my sisters." Adds bin Kalli: "How many do I own? How many pairs of shoes does Carrie Bradshaw own?" Sex and the City aside, Emerati women pay close attention to global trends. "Westerners think we're oblivious to what is happening stylewise, but we're very keen on educating ourselves about fashion," says bin Kalli. "One of my favorite channels is E!, just to see what's going on and what Jessica Alba wore to the Oscars." Such informed consumerism has led to fashion-forward abaya trends not found elsewhere in the Middle East. "There's a big difference here," acknowledges Al Hamly. "If I wore an abaya with color on it in Riyadh, they would freak out!" "The abaya is our fashion, not just our religion," adds bin Kalli. "We even get compliments from Western expats living in Dubai. One woman thought my shaila was so pretty, she asked me where she could buy one."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

web page

Had to force myself to read past this:

In fact, bin Kalli is addicted to Desperate Housewives. "It's hilarious," she says. "It's so real. You can relate it to your daily life!"

LoL. Real, huh.

Abyan   

The Hijab is not a piece of cloth that we just put it on our heads, our bodies should also be covered..

On the authority of the wife of the prophet (pbuh), Umm Salama (RA) said:

"When the verse was revealed that they should cast their outer garments over their bodies' was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.

The hijab itself must not be a display. Allaah ordained it so as to cover the beauty of women and not for showing off. Allaah (swt) says `And not show of their adornment except only that which is apparent.' (S24:31).

The hijab must not be transparent The purpose of wearing hijab must be achieved. In order for the hijab to be a cover, it must not be made of transparent material making the woman covered only by name, while in reality she is naked. The prophet (pbuh) is quoted as saying: "In the latest part of my Ummah (nation of Muslims) there shall be women who would be naked in spite of being dressed, they have their hair high like the humps of the Bukht camel, curse them, for they are cursed. They will not enter Al-Jannah and would not even perceive its odor, although it's fragrance can be perceived from a distance of 500 years travelling by camel" This indicates that a woman could cause herself a grave and destructive sin if she puts on a garment that is thin and transparent and which clearly shapes her body's features.

Hijab must be roomy, and not tight.

The hijab is a safeguard against fitna. If it is tight, it will be descriptive of the woman's body and this violates and defeats the whole purpose of hijab.

The hijab must not be perfumed

On the authority of Ad'Diya Al-Maqdisi, the prophet (pbuh) said:

"Any woman who perfumes herself and passes by some people that they smell her scent, then she is a Zaniyah (adulteress)."

The hijab should not be for fame

Abu Dawoud and Ibn Majah have related the prophet to saying: "The one who wears a garment designed for a worldly fame, Allaah will make them wear a garment of humility on the Day Of Resurrection then he will be set ablaze." The garment of fame is any garment a person wears to make themselves look famous. This applies whether the garment is highly precious and shows admiration to the life of this world or if it is chosen of a low quality to show lack of interest to this worldly life. The person may put on clothes with distinct colors so as to draw attention, act proudly and/or arrogantly

Source http://www.troid.org/articles/sisters/hijaab/conditions.htm

The Prophet (salAllaahu ‘alayhi wasalaam) had around him the best of individuals. Therefore, his wives were the best of the women and are referred to as our mothers.

The wives of the Prophet (salAllaahu ‘alayhi wasalaam) were also the most righteous and virtuous of women.

The prophet sallAllahu alayhi wasalam said" The best of mankind is my generation, then those who come after them,then those who come after them"Bukhari and muslim)

Where im trying to get to is we should look back and see how the sahaabas and sahaabiyaats dressed, follow there examples,Because they are those who lived with the prophet (sall Allahu aleihi wa sallam), they are those who were present when ayaats was revealed and so forth. Who, but they can then have the best understanding?

coz i bet the prophets wives did not dress like the picture below lol..Otherwise there would have been an authentic hadith about it :D

2mcc0so.jpg

Many just take "half-way" measures, which not only mocks the community in which she lives, but also mocks the commands of Allaah (swt). They consider what they put on now wrongly as "hijab" So, O muslimoon, be mindful to Allaah (swt) and His Messenger (pbuh), and do not deceived by those who "bless" this action of yours and conceal their true intentions. Do not be deceived, and there is no excuse to follow the evil.

Walaahi im not trying to act holier than anyone in here, i used to be half ways and always felt i was contradicting myself. :(

Just remember this ayah the next time you walk down the streets and you are lauged at.

"Verily! (During the worldly life) those who committed crimes used to laugh at those who believed. And whenever they passed by them, used to wink one to another (in mockery); And when they returned to their own people, they would return jesting; and when they saw them, they said: ‘Verily! These have indeed gone astray!’ But they (disbelievers, sinners) had not been sent as watchers over them (the believers). But on this Day (the Day of Resurrection) those who believe will laugh at the disbelievers. On (high) thrones, looking (at all things). Are not the disbelievers paid (fully) for what they used to do?" (Surah Al-Mutaffifin 83:29-36)

Allah's words should serve us a support and we should also take comfort in being strangers in this society as the prophet salAllahu aleyhi wasalam said

"Islam began as something strange, and it would revert to its (old position) of being strange, so good tidings for the strangers." (Narrated by Abu Huraira and Reported Sahih Muslim) smile.gif

Haneefah   

^ Thank you dear, you summed it up quite well.

The hijab is a symbol of modesty and submission to ones creator, not a piece of covering that can be suited to fit modern norms or reflect one's own whims and desires. It simply cannot coexist with the so called 'glits & glamour' these women are apparently seeking. And quite frankly, the khaleejis are going ridiculously over-board with this whole accessorizing the cabaaya/hijab business.

It's about time people learned about the hijab's full implication and gave it its due respect and honour (of course, assuming they are wearing it for the right purposes).

Blessed   

^That's the thing sister, those sisters probably aren't very religious and so wear it primarily to uphold the local traditions. In that case, I say they are better than many other Muslims who wouldn't be seen dead in a hijaab. It's so old fashioned, see.

Sulekha

The hijab itself must not be a display. Allaah ordained it so as to cover the beauty of women and not for showing off. Allaah (swt) says `And not show of their adornment except only that which is apparent.' (S24:31).

Surely, this doesn't mean that one has to go out of her way and pick the ugliest fabric in the store. There is the hadith about pride where the the sahaabas asked the Prophet (saw) if they were blame worthy for wanting to wear beautiful cloths and he (saw) responded that Allah loved beauty. I'm paraphrasing here but I'm sure that you know the hadith. Just to go back to the photos, the only problems with those abaayas is that they are too tight and the seductive posing.

The hijaab doesn't have to be ugly to be Islamic.

As for the accessories and the comments in the article, it does scream 'I'm a wotless consumer'. Many women are. It wouldn't be in Marie Claires' best interest to interview pious Muslimas who would speak out against wasting money on designer labels.

Originally posted by Kimiya:

The hijaab doesn't have to be ugly to be Islamic.

Thanks for pointing that out. Some people really do think the aim of the Hijab is to look as drab and frumpy as possible.

ElPunto   

^As always - a middle way is best. And at the end the intention will bear out the reason you wore it - so let the good Lord judge.