Deeq A.

Hargeysa has two mayors now.

Gabiley is a separate region of Somaliland  which deserves it's own gobol arabsiyo wajaale Kalabaydh sabowanaag  with gabiley city as it's capital. It Somaliland along side borana awdal the most fertile land. Beeraha wajaale allow no nimce. Sanaag and parts of togdheer is also very fertile. Somaliland is very great

Hargeysa is maroodijeex and it's the capital of Somaliland  and the capital of Somaliland belongs to all Somalilanders  there are no division in the capital. Second of it all. Besides  the guy who said Somaliland needs 2 mayor he is now  behind bars in koodbuur police station.

galbeedi   

The elders who selected their own mayor said that they met him over 80 times, begging to build a two kilometer of road. People in Hargeisa are starting something good for everyone to follow: If you take taxes from the people you must give them basic services, period.

It is a wake up call for this corrupt mayor of Hargeisa.

Tallaabo   

Somaliland's political system is rotten to the core and they have no plans to reform. I sometimes wonder why I support this barely functional entity. Maybe it is because I have family members there and can't afford another anarchy and chaos. 

Every one in  hargeysa knows  that this fellow who goes by the name of soltecto  I a thief he is very  corrupt so was the guy before him let's hope we get a mayor like ina xashi to be the mayor of hargeysa. Some one with allot of city planning skills who loves the city. Let's wait next elections. We need to change the guuri two selebaan gaal is there 2 long.

galbeedi   

As usual  " This chap " called OOdweyne  fills the page , yet there is no new information to help Hargeisa or any other town in Somaliland. 

I can't write the kings language like this chap, but let me try to add my few senses on these so called mayors in Somaliland.

While there are some good mayors and individuals who could rise up among the the dysfunction, the current system in Somaliland is susasptible for corruption , incompetence and failure. 

The root cause is the system, the structure of the city administration and the way they were  elected. 

First, the  mayors in Somaliland are not  directly elected by the people, nor does the city counsel. You might identify  the man who is from your tribe sitting in the counsel table,  but you do not know who is representing your ward or district ( Xaafadaada). If there was someone elected from your Xaafad, you would have asked him to take your grievances to the mayor or counsel.

Everyone , including the would be mayor runs city wide contest  and is elected by his own tribe. Then, after the election, the interior ministry pushes through the counsel the person they desire and push among the counsel. After his election, usually there is no consul meetings or deliberations from the counsel. The mayor runs the town as he likes, but regularly sends monthly cash to the interior ministry and to the governors office to stay in power. Walaahi I know this for a fact, because a friend of mine who was a mayor of Borama  told after he was replaced. He lives in the diaspora now.

THey could have divided the city in 12 or 10 zones and elect  two councilmen  from each district totaling  24 councilmen, while the would be mayors are directly elected throughout the city.  Instead everyone appeals to his tribe from east to west, north and south of the city like someone running for mayor. Waa doorasho qariban iyo dimoqraadiyad la kubsaday oo dhiiri gelinaysa qabyaalad.

In the traditional sense of municipal election, you can only vote for the council man in your "Xaafad" and vote the mayor from across the city. If my tribal cousin  is running on  the west side of the city, I can't vote for him if I reside in the East side. I must be forced to choose among those who run and reside my zone. It is simple and it is universal. 

Second, the city administrative structure is created for one man to  do every thing. Every city, town and village in the world has a city manager who a  bureaucrat designed to manage the day to day operation of the city, While the elected leaders make the political decision. The city employees implement the policy and the operations whether it is garbage collections, paving roads, fire, policing, recreation and sport centers , land and zoning managements.

If you want to buy  a land or need a permit to build something , you do not need to see the mayor. Yet, the most contentious issue are roads, transportation and public land management. There are committees ( Planing, transportation, health and so ..) among the councilmen to debate the major issue before the mayor and make decisions. There is a zero committees in Somaliland. The mayors decide the issues probably in Qat sessions. 

Furthermore, every city , town or village has some kind of yearly or multiple years of capital budget to build roads, fire station and other needs of the growing city. That is where the counsel debates, prioritizes and allocates which one is important road or needs repair.  

The biggest problem of all is you do not even need creativity or imaginations to create these things. As they say, you do not need to re-invent the wheel. These and other things are done by others already, All you need is modify and tailor it in to your system.  Today's system is created by people who were bureaucrats in the eighties communist rule of centralized system where the money comes directly from the regional central planning. 

In conclusion , there is no need to change this corrupt mayor to another one. In Borama, Saleebaan Afar Jeeble who was one of the most corrupt mayors was thrown out during the Suldaan Wabar saga,. Now he is pushed again and elected as a mayor  through his cousin,  who became the industry and trade minister in the current government. It is garbage in , garbage out.

Folks, the whole system needs real reforms. The city must function without a mayor.  Yet, there is probably zero chances of things changing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Folks, the whole system needs real reforms. The city must function without a mayor.  Yet, there is probably zero chances of things changing.

I agree. The system needs substantial improvements. 

Also the political parties need to go back to the drawing boards and field knowledgeable, educated and experienced people to run for these positions. 

galbeedi   
4 minutes ago, Suldaanka said:

Also the political parties need to go back to the drawing boards and field knowledgeable, educated and experienced people to run for these positions

I agree. The parties neglected the mayoral positions and concentrate on other positions.