Sign in to follow this  
money

Beautiful and Colorful Somali Family!

-Lily-   

I'm very confused. Is there documented proof that Somali Bantus were originally from other parts?

If so by all rights they are Somali and should be treated as any other Somali person but it is also patronizing to feign amnesia over the origins of the Bantu people, to do that is to assume it is somehow shameful that their ancestors may have originated from elsewhere. Don’t they refer themselves to as ‘Somali Bantus’ or is that derogatory term?

Has it occured to people maybe it's the "ethnic" Somalis that migrated from Northern Somalia into the South. The Somalis Bantus could have been there along. Maybe the more violent nomadic Somalis just came not too all long ago, and rewrote history. I think there's enough evidence to suggest Somalis migrated into Somaligalbeed and into deep south just couple centuries ago.

Lily...Nobody wants to deny where they come from. I just don't understand why they are being singled out as being not of Somali origin. Afterall there are two major Somali tribes that claim to be of Arab descent. Nobody isn't calling them Arab Somalis or categorising them as not being an ethnic Somali.

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

Has it occured to people maybe it's the "ethnic" Somalis that migrated from Northern Somalia into the South. The Somalis Bantus could have been there along. Maybe the more violent nomadic Somalis just came not too all long ago, and rewrote history. I think there's enough evidence to suggest Somalis migrated into Somaligalbeed and into deep south just couple centuries ago.

Lily...Nobody wants to deny where they come from. I just don't understand why they are being singled out as being not of Somali origin. Afterall there are two major Somali tribes that claim to be of Arab descent. Nobody isn't calling them Arab Somalis or categorising them as not being an ethnic Somali.

That is quite possible. That they could have pushed ALL the BANTUS up to middle Kenya & stopped short of 100KMs to Nairobi(Isiolo).

I like the other theory better though,where,the Bantus migrated from the Congo forest and soome moved down south while others moved up to settle in the slopes of MT Kenya & the surrounding areas. That is why You will see Bantus all the way down in South Africa.

Anyway,I think it is very sad that you people are trying to force the Bantus to be Somalis. They are not. Otherwise,they wouldnt have been called "Somali Bantus". They wouldve been Somalis or plain Bantus.

Miriam1   

borrowing a line from doctor who..ethnicity is all wibbly wobbly migratory wimey :D

maybe it has to do something with our sense of self worth, that makes us think we always define ourselves as *pure* as opposed to the others

Fabregas   

Muran Farax Brownow, isn't Somali Bantu what they call themselves? Adigu maxad ugu diidantahay?

:D

ps. Bantu isn't an "African Tribe".

Che, South SOmalia(or some sections) was settled by "Galla-Madow", Oromo, iyo wax la mid ah.

Originally posted by Brofessor_Geeljire:

Muran Farax Brownow, isn't Somali Bantu what they call themselves? Adigu maxad ugu diidantahay?

:D

ps. Bantu isn't an "African Tribe".

Che, South SOmalia(or some sections) was settled by "Galla-Madow", Oromo, iyo wax la mid ah.

Yaa udiidan? L0L. Meesha waxaa laisku haystaa(or i guess), Somali Bantus are ethnically Somalis. And i said fck no.

Muran waaba laiga abuuree,waa kusidee?

Seriously,the issue is,i dont know why Bantus are being forced to be "Somali". Somehow,thinking that they are less or some...they come from a fantastic tribe. Industrious and really wealthy. If only they knew,they wouldnt have listened to Somalis smile.gif

Fabregas   

The Bantu prefix shows that they are not Somalis(historically), in the clanish sense of the word. Meaning they don't particularly fit into the Somali Tribal System. However, Somali is their home, they speak Somali and they have contributed to the state. Of course they acknowledge their past, which is of course linked with the slave trade that occured in the deep-Southern Lands. But not all of them can remember their lineages and languages.

And Bantu isn't a tribe. So there is nothing to be proud of using that terminology. Nin Cad baa magaca dadka ugu yeedhay! Everyone was a Somali, Xabashi, Fulani, Zulu ama Qabiilkisa. The whites came along and said, " He is Bantu and he's Cushitic, am Hamitic". As for Bantus being more illustrious, the Hutu Militias who slaughtered the Tutsis were said to have belonged to this group.

ps. What is an ethnic Soomaali?

The Bantu prefix shows that they are not Somalis(historically), in the clanish sense of the word.

Unless,i am crazy,I thought thats all i been saying all along? Historicall & ethnically not somali smile.gif

Sheekada bartaa ku xidh

Originally posted by Brofessor_Geeljire:

Hada sow Soomaali maha? Regardless of whether they fit in the clan structure or not?

Well,that comes down to who is Somali? Sowmahan? Somali Nationals & Ethnic Somalis? which is which?

This is how i see it, You are what you are regardless of where are. For example, say, a whialien came to the Kano plains of Nigeria & abducted 1000 Fulanis to cultivate opium in Afghanistan(why would aliens need opium?). Would those 1000 fulanis be fulanis or they become Pashtunis? icon_razz.gif

money   

Hayam sis, you have a beautiful mind!

Faarax brown, got some help and overcome that "you and me know" rejection!

You wouldn't have spent this much effort if I posted a picture of... say ..."si-waaq-roon" family with softer hairs and features. You know some Si-waaqis, at least those i met in Minneapolis, proudly and openly claim an Indian ancestry! That doesn't make you and other Somali neo-purists go all the way to exclude them as you doing to Somali Jareer-Weyne family! That, to me, is an indication of not only bold-faced hypocrisy and double standard, but some innate self-hate and inferiority complex!

And you and I know that more than half of our Somali Maryooleey folks falsely and ignorantly claim to be from mythical Arabian saints and what you have! Are you calling them too "ethnic" Somalis too?

Kool_Kat   

^Yaaku yiri? Ani German iyo Nigerian ee dadkeyga kasoo farcameen aan umaleeyaa...The fact inaa Talyaaniga transit ku ahaana makes me somewhat of an Italian...Kuna dar, the years my dad studied in Cuba...And let's not forget, living in Canada for 18yrs makes me Canadian too... icon_razz.gif

So I am Gernigtalcubcan aan ahay, thank you very much?

Adi maxaa tahay hee Che?