Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Are African Americans more racist?

Modesty   

You people can say all you want about me being "weak" , but you don't know the situation. I was paying for the class, I deserved to be treated like I was. Anyways, I don't shut up to things like that, alot of people just want to remain quite about everything, I'm not that type of person, if I see something wrong...I try to fix it.No Jim Lee, we are the same people. Yes, we have the same coloring, but we have different histories.

Modesty....Reread the posts. No one asked to stay quite. If anything, we encouraged to speak up. People just wondered why you didn't put up a fight. By dropping the class, you choose the easy way out.

I don't shut up to things like that, alot of people just want to remain quite about everything, I'm not that type of person,

You may think you don't shut up to things, but you sure did go silent on this one issue, and you let that woman ran you out of her classroom, thats a damn shame.

Speaking about a problem is actually addressing the issue one on one with this individual, and you didn't do that. Writing an angry email after you have decided to drop her class wasn't speaking about it, what you should have done is went through right to her face, and say excuseme, I need to set up an appointment because there are things you and I need to discuss and this is very important and I don't feel I should speak in the classroom, because this is a serious issue... and so far, you didn't mention doing any of that, that means dear, you did not speak out.

We all went through a similar situation, atleast every other person around these parts did. I went through adversity in my highschool, me being the only black person in chemistry class, in calculas etc, having to put up my hand on A&Q session but never having to be picked, only at the last option.

Getting my chemistry test back, a test I knew I did very well and seing a 56% on it, becuase the racist arsehole for a chemistry teacher forgot to mark the last 2 pages, did you think that was that on accident, when every white student in my class got their paper marked with perfection, yet the only black girl he had forgotten to mark the last 2 pages, do you actually think that was an accident? Do you think that I quit that subject? No, what I did was I went right to him, asked him politely to look at my paper and see if anything was wrong with it and he went through it and faced me back and said no, not one bit, its a fair mark with 56% and I told him, I said are you sure you looked through these papers, every inch of it, he said I dont have to, I was the one who marked it, and I said ok if thats your final answer, then why dont u do me the honour of looking the last two pages with me and I pointed it out and told him, is this how you marked this paper by forgetting that the last 2 pages didnt exist, and he said oooh omgggggg, I had no idea, I am so sorry, my wife just had a baby and I was up late marking these papers and I must have forgotten it, and I looked at him and I walked away and went straight to the principal's office.

Explained everything to her, she called him down to her office while I was there, he confirmed that I gave him a chance for him to look at these papers one more time and he flat out admitted it not looking through it carefully because he saw no point to looking at a mark paper.

From that point on, he was given a warning that if I ever complain against him or if there are anymore problems about any other student, that he was out of this school. Principal told me to check all my marks and that she will keep an eye on my marks at the end of the term and that I ought to keep all my test papers for evidence, and I did, but there was no need because I got away with my good grade from that class and taught that son of a gun a lesson he wont forget... and there are many more examples happened to me but it wasnt as extreme as this one, and I will never forget, but I spoke out, and thats what it means to actually speak out about a problem.

^You have to admit there is a huge difference between college and high school classes Lazie. In highschool you have no choice in dropping it -It's a year course and if you want to repeat it you have to take it on the summer. But in college - it being just a 4 month course; you can retake it with a different teacher in the next semester or replace it with another elective.

Chem is a core subject while the Afro-something one is just an elective.

I've dropped a couple of courses because I instinctively didn't like the teacher or he/she had such a thick accent that I couldn't understand or concentrate.

I think Modesty had a legitimate reason in dropping it - no need for that much stress over a elective course.

Give the girl a break ya'll.

P.S. Nice job with ur teacher. A-hole had it coming.

king_450   

Well you did the only thing that each and every smart person could have done, drop the damn course. you would not have gained anything beside being sacrificed even if you have worked so hard you might acheived B-. But word of advise take the course again from the same teacher this time watch your tongue and don't create divisions in your classmates.

STOIC   

Let that class go Kaput!Anything that happened did happen.There is nothing you can do about it since you already drop the class.Concentrate on your other classes and don't let that woman occupy your mind.You have whole semester ahead of you.If the class is offered again next semster take it again.I took an introduction to African American class.It was one of the best electives I took.The class was an eye opener for me not to mention the professor was a lovely liberal Bush-bashing anti-war fan.Every group of people have some racist people in their in-group (including our lovely Somalis).

Modesty   

I'm glad what Devilangel typed was deleted. I also know her very well, she is this skinny girl, that wears her khimar back.I would describe her to be one of those reer badiyo girls who are confused/lost about being in a civilized society, and have superficial ideas about being "ilbax". She is one of those girls that is pretty much fruitless to begin with,shallow and very superficial. Yes, I'm articulate...alhamdulilah, in real life too, and I am who I am. I don't understand why someone would attack a person directly if the post wasn't really about me...I just gave an example of a racist teacher.Devilangel, I'm anything but weak (I have went through many struggles and prevailed), if you really know me and feel that I'm like that I hope you continue to remain s t u p i d because I don't want you to know me to begin with. I never dim down if anyone gets to my face, no girl has ever gotten in my face before.Secondly, you say because I dropped the class because "i was intimidated"...yes I was,because I know some professors fail people based on them not liking you. I didn't need to argue, there are many options out there, so why should I sit with a teacher whom I consider to be racist? I don't care if anyone knows me, I know who I am, and I'm secure in who I am. You obviously have issues that you need to work through.

Jamilah   

^^Mashallah Modesty, I have to praise you for your foresight . A narrow minded woman who isn't even a professor is simply not worth your time and certainly not your GPA. But if hypothetically speaking such a woman were to teach a subject you could not afford to drop then you would employ other means of resolving the situation, right? perhaps discreetly contacting the appropriate authorities or even disguising your animosity and swallowing your bitterness with a sweet smile . The latter is how I survived science class with a psychopath as a teacher for two consecutive years. This man ranted on every class about anything that is ANTI-ISLAM and even mentioned FGM on a few occassions (something I refrain from discussing even on an anonymous board). But alxamdullilah nothing major eventuated from that. All's well that ends well.

In the meantime make dua as racism is not the problem here but pure jealousy and inshallah continue making wise decisions.