Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Are African Americans more racist?

Modesty   

I recently had to drop a afro-studies class because of the instructor. I swear when I raised my hand to speak, she was shocked, not only that I contributed something to class, but that I speak english and am inteligent.Surprisingly, she was african american, however, overzealously christian. She was practically trying to convert the class to her beliefs. She chose to target me, and surprising this one obese african american girl had to jump in everytime I said something...to argue with me, even though the other students were saying the same things, but chose me.Not only that, but she kept trying to "correct" me even though it was an opinion...she didn't do that to anyone else. I didn't let her upset me, I continued participating, and sure enough some of my comments shut her up. I proved to her not to generalize, after the end of the class she had no more critiques coming my way. The whole class was almost black, and they were practically giving me the cold shoulder...but surprisingly this white girl was the only one who was normal. I ended up droppin that class because I know she would attempt to fail me. Alot of African Americans are cool people, but the ones I see in college are very racist to african people in general, I think they are being like that because we africans are black, yet at the same time we are doing our thing and succeeding here in america. They are waking up to their brainwashing that africans are "savages, and uneducated", and I hope those type of folks wake up.

*sigh*

ScarFace   

Thats it let it all out...basically you got bullied and you took the easy way out..how do you knw she'll attempt to fail you.even if she does cant you get some other instructor to mark your work icon_razz.gif

and whats "afro-studies"?

I gotta second Scarface. You shouldn't have dropped the class. Adverse situations are meant to test you and make you stronger. Enroll in the class again, and give dat woman a piece of your mind.

P.S everybody is racist !!!!

Jaylaani   

Originally posted by Modesty:

I think they are being like that because we africans are black, yet at the same time we are doing our thing and succeeding here in america. They are waking up to their brainwashing that africans are "savages, and uneducated", and I hope those type of folks wake up.

*sigh*

I think you’re being prejudice your self.

You should have talked to the prof. and expressed your feelings instead of dropping the class..

Face it, you couldn't handle pressure, and you took the easy way out. If I were u, I would delete this thread, I mean, fuleeyiin pple shouldn't be pointing the finger, and you are a fuley...qarso ceebtaada.

Oh come on Folks.African americans are racists towards the 'other successful africans'.Alright,the question that should have been asked is why are they like that?I think that would have led us to better understand the whole stance so there is no need of all blaming Modesty for just being modesty.With that said,now let me ask it,why are african americans racists to other africans?Well,i can understand why they should be hating the whites but i can't understand why they should hate the success of pple like modest.

Che,there is some truth in ur words sir,everybody is somewhat little racist but can it be that pple are so, only inregards to being conservative and thus try to conserve their ways?Well i sure don't feel good whenever i see a somali sister with some kurd or with some other white fellow.I have my reasons though.

Modesty u got intimidate or qarso ceebtaada... i find those comment to be fruitless comment. I for one commend what modesty did, in regards to standing firm on her opinions and not letting peoples lack of acceptance wash her beliefs away… so what if they (class mates, instructors) don’t like her anymore, at least she won’t be going home with regrets. As for being week and dropping the class, my answer to that is being week is not only, not having the ability to stand up for your right but its also knowing when to NOT standup for ur right( or pick ur battles ). Dropping the class, that’s called being clever and beating the system before it beats u :D

As for African American being racist?? Yes and No .. . Meaning they are really not racist but can be very challenging people to give/gain trust and respect from u/them, but once one pass through that challenge phase, they are the type of people that would go out of their way just to help u or ur family with ANYTHING.

so, modesty give them a chance and do not translate their challenges into racism

Castro   

Modesty, "Are African Americans more racist" than .....?

Using the word "more" forces you to compare two groups. Who are African Americans more racist than? They can't just be "more racist".

Originally posted by TenaciousSoul*:

so, modesty give them a chance and do not
trnaslate thire challagies into ranciesim

Gugu gaga?

Modesty   

Firstly, I have no fear to stand up for any beliefs I have, secondly you got to play smart in college. If it wasn't for watching my GPA, I would've taken that class using pass/fail. It was an elective anyways, and experience showed me, if you don't like a professor, change to a different professor. I ended up emailing her, telling her to respect students and their opinions, and to not shove her religious beliefs down our throats. SHE wasn't even a professor, but a simple "instructor", and she didn't know what the heck she was doing, she can't even speak loudly and clearly. I can only hope when other students take her class, she'll remember me, and not be like that.

Castro...I mean more than "whites".

Modesty   

You know, sometimes I find it amazing that people that went through racism, oppression and slavery would be more tolerating of others. I don't think I can say that for most African Americans. They hate every group,from asians, arabs, bosnians, nigerians, liberians, ethiopians...they never get along with any group. I know I'm generalizing, but it's a common trend I noticed.

Zafir   

^^Well, To be quite honest, I find you and the white girl racist.

You raised your hand; she (the black professor) was shocked. Your thoughts “how dare she? She must be racist toward Africans Hmmm.†You keep raising your hand every chance you get, indicating perhaps you’re talking too damn much, some folks (other African Americans in the class) found that irritable and decided to challenge your talkings. Your interpretation “hmm all these black Americans must have it for me hmm, hence, are African Americans are racist towards Africans, I’d better drop this class because I know the white girl that sits next to will as well… whispers:I see black peopleâ€

J.Lee   

I believe the question should of have been: Are African-Americans prejudice?. We can't be racist toward one another; after all we are of the same race dear. (Lightbulb?)

But unlike those that posted before me, I can sympathize with you. I had my fair share of struggles with "BeBe's kids" but that was back in elementary and high school. At some point, you'll have to stop paying attention to it; develop a tougher hide walaal.