Sign in to follow this  
Faarax-Brawn

The Somali Week in MPLS

So,What did yall folks[those of us who came],thought of the somali week in MPLS?

How were the Tournaments?[i loved the Boston BasketBall Kids & the Soccer team too] . Bunch of Talented Kids out there i tell ya.Although half of the Players were smoking during Half time.LooL

The last game The Mn Thunder vs the Somali Allstar was something else all together. :D my Voice is Gone[From yelling at the kids!].

Anyway,what was your Highlight of the week?

Did you see Anything that made you Proud of SOMALINIMO?, Anything you were Ashamed of?

Personally i have a little Rant here. I ended up watching a much publicized,over exposed and well marketed if i may add somali MOVIE. The movies name was DARDARAN[Apparently some Father leaves a DarDaran to 2 or 3 of his kids.....about some inheritance money...

Anywhoo;The film started off by showing some wadaad looking dude, giving a Dardaran to a rather chubby actor who could barely speak the Language. When the Dardaran was over, they showed the dude going to his SKAABULO apt,and slamming his Digsi with his Fargeto and eating his Qarax Baris,slamming the microwave door and the Fridge Door. Basically Knocking down Anything on his Way for an entire 6minutes[The audience do not have a clue of what the dude is up]. Afterwards, he goes and jumps into his Muwacis and off he is to Bed! All without uttering a WORD!.

6 minutes past and not a single word came from the chubby actor. Can you believe that? 6minutes of forks against Saxan, slamming microwave door, slamming the fridge door. When he wakes up, he wants to go somewhere, and that is the LAST time you see him. he Vanished into the Thin Ohio Air!. The last time i heard,he Wanted to Go somewhere,and his short skinny Brother was helping him pack!. But when the Driver Honked his Horn[ya, i know what driver right?], the chubby actor is no where to be seen!

In comes a taller, skinnier darker farah! And off they go cruising on the OHIO HWY. Talking and talking endlessly. We have No idea where they are headed to,what they are going to.All they Did was yell and Shout @one another.

Besides, the lack of plot, poor vision, lack of coherence, the movie had no message.

The actors had no skills at all, one was overly aggressive[he was literally yelling], and the other was very timid and scared to speak.[one could barely hear him,even in the very loud theatre speakers]. in a nutshell. horible movie.

In the one and half-hour film, 33% was dedicated to showing of OHIO landmarks, the greenery of Columbus, the I-77 [exit signs, traffic lights, trailers and all the activity that goes on a HWY, SUBWAY restaurant was also featured in the film]. The rest of the time was merely about, 2 brothers cruising on the Ohio interstate talking about how the father left this huge amounts of money, how they going to split, how some unknown family members are calling one after another to claim the share of the money.

Here is a Dardaaran from me to the rest of you folks who would want to watch the MOVIE. Do not waste your Hard Earned cash on the movie.

Besides, that i had a Great Time. Watching the thousands of Halimos and Farahs driving around the city[i saw a NOVA SCOTIA licence plate!],was just pleasant.

So Bal share your Holiday Experience!

La-y-La   

U know I actually expected a parade on lake street, but sadly notrhing happened. I went to lake street on the day of the independence, I was really looking forward to that.

Anyway, I was at the Brian coyle get=together, which was kinda boring.

I missed out on the tournament, it is usually crowded by men anyway, I probably would have felt uncomfortable anyway.

I really wanted to see that dardaaran movie laakinse hadii buu that boring yahay, ama 4get about it.

Hello Maryan.

It would have been nicer had the parade been at Lake Street, but am guessing that with that facelift over at Lake Street, the congestion would have been a logistical nightmare.

Well you are right, most of the SOCCER games were dominated by the Farahs.

What amazed me was the clear difference between the younger kids and the older ones. They had absolutely no interest in soccer at all. They lived, breathed and slept basketball.

The basketball gym was packed. Their parents, brothers, sisters and entire families came to cheer, just like any American family will. That’s when it dawned on me, OMG we have been NORTH AMERICANISED![i love it BTW]. Not that there is nothing wrong with that, but the shift in the attitude, taste and actions was in itself amazing. The soccer was more Somali than you can imagine.

The fact that these kids VALUED and traveled from far places to come and join and play as hard as they did was amazing.

About the movie, I am not kidding, the entire staff at OLOL film needs to take a hard look at themselves before they bring any filth to the community. The movie was so boring that it was not even funny.

ayaanick   

OOh my:

The movie was horrible. It had no story line, and I can't beleive I paid $10.00. Damn it. I left 20min into the movie....I mean what the hell where they thinking!!!

I am so mad, that I can't even utter the words to describe my feelings!!

Jaw for Now!!!

shyhem   

I didn't see any movie but the soccer thing...... somali allstars vs mn thunder sucked.Soccer as usual was boring so i left early afew minutes before half time.Sitting at home and watching dvd movie with a sister is way better than the whole soccer sh!t

I didn't see any soccer Tournament...But I did see basketball tournment. I saw Eagan vs. San Diego..and also Atl vs. Minnesota.(go atl). That wasn't a fair game I think Minnesota paid the referees.

I actually was looking forward to seeing DARDARAN...thank god I didn't. Personally all tose movies made by Atto(or whatever) suck!!! Did u know that none of the films...Rajo, Gabar Ha loo doono...all had no screenplay or script. They did the movie as the went along. So I shouldn't even be surprise that it sucked that bad!!!

Tell me about it St Paul Chick. It’s not even funny anymore. Someone needs to positively critic this dude. He obviously thinks he is doing a good job. My advice to you is, DO NOT PAY to see the movie.

LOL @ Paid the refs, you know what though, some of the officiating was somewhat biased, case in point: the Boston Rochester soccer game was definitely a fix. Lool

Somerican,heheHe.

Atto have no film production skills. But at least they are doing something and I like that. Hopefully they will cultivate a market for Somali films and as a result skilled Somali film makers will emerge.

I feel bad even calling them films. Rajo reminded me of the little skits we did in 8th grade drama class.

Jacpher   

Thanks for the tip guys about the so-called Somali movie. I am not a big fan of Somali movies. I have seen Qabyo and it was a BIG turn off. The plot was ok but there's a room for improvement. I still don't understand why a man had to play a "woman". Couldn't they hire a sister? This man playing woman almost hugs and kisses a man. Yuck!

I also saw Rajo which I didn't like. Isn't it odd to pay $20 for these kinds of low/poor quality films. I would prefer to pay just under $9 to see the Hitch or Guess Who.

The only Somali movie I enjoyed watching was WACYI. Makki Xaaji Banaadir did an excellent job. It was very funny and the story line was interesting. I'm actually wanting to see The Letter, a Somali documentry about Somalis in Maine made by Somali.

Well, I want to know who won MISS SOMALIA? :D

Was the film that bad, I actually like the documentary (a preview) better than any of the movies.Well in seattle a lot of people didn't go because was divided over YES qabil. One soccer team went to canada and the other went to minnesota, so most didn't even go out of state. Besides the somalis are too ghetto for us seattlites nooh. smile.gif

I feel bad even calling them films. Rajo reminded me of the little skits we did in 8th grade drama class.

So true :D:D