Che -Guevara

World Bank approves first loans to Somalia in 30 years

I think tallaabo  the koonfurians don't care much about Islamic principles and S harecaada islamka. Iyo  qawlki nebiga. These people don't know the difference between abu jahl abu lahb. Eebow beesaadi awaay.  No ethics no morals

Looks like the goals of this grant has been designed along the lines of Somaliland Development Fund. 

But what makes Somaliland Development Fund so successful is the fact that Somaliland has all the foundations already in place. 

Which is why the donor countries have tripled the SDF for the next 5 years from $50 million in 2012 to $150 million between 2018 and 2021. 

Here is a background info for SDF: 

Designing the Somaliland Development Fund

Samafal   

LOL@How Jeegaan boys insert Laaland in every topic 😃😃😃 Desperation kkkk

Sultaan

Do you have any press release relating to the SDF increase from 50 to 150M between 2018-2021? Mise hoos baa laguugu sheegay? 

Oodweyne Ama dhoocisha SOL: Do you have any evidence where the donors said no to Somalia government?

galbeedi   

Yoniz,

The best news and the only valuable message that comes from these EU and World Bank affair is debt relief. If they actually agreed to debt relive that will be something to celebrate.

Personally, I have appetite for donor countries or their money. Nations are not build on donor or NGO money paid by the so called Paris club. Every decade, we hear that western donors want to contribute $40 billion development fund, millennium fund, or other funds to help the developing countries. 

Yet, if you ask them to right off the $40 billion dollar these countries accumulated during  the cold war or before 1990, they will say no. Why you want to give me aid money,  while on the other hand,  you keep pilling the interest of debt that undermines my economy by taking hundreds of millions of interest?. Not a single one of these nations is  capable of repaying the debt and their only efforts would be to keep paying  the interest.

The Soviet Union had written of over hundred billion dollar debt owed by the developing nations during the cold war. 

The world bank and other donors left Ethiopia in 2005, after disagreements with Meles Zenawi , the late prime minister. Yet, Ethiopia had grown for the last 14 years without world bank loans  .Look at the Asian nation from Burma, to Cambodia and other less developed than the big Asian tigers like South Korea. They have good infrastructure and relatively stable economy. They are not built by donors but the hard work of their people.

Furthermore, a government that resides in one city where all its military , police and ministers reside , doesn't need huge money to operate and survive. No one is asking them to serve the hospitals  in Buuhoodle, Diinsoor or Cadale. I bet you that the 68 government ministers are paid and maintained by the UN and the NGO's, just as their  travels, expenses and their  security is taken care off by others.

If I were a real opposition, I might even ask the huge salary budgeted for both the office of the prime minister and the president. In 2017, each one  of them was supposed to receive over $5 million  dollars in salary. That means close to 10% of the budget is consumed by these two men and their offices. Even if each of them had 20 or 30 employees,  that is too much for a nation that had a budget of little over $150 million dollars. Muuse Biixi in Hargeisa does the same thing by taking $13 million dollars to operate with a staff of two dozen, while education is allocated half of that.

Farmaajo even claimed that he doesn't know his yearly or monthly salary. Of course it is true when you have a bag money coming from the gulf.

Somalia uma baahno lacag aan la shaqaysan iyo deyn. Somalia shaqo ayey u baahan tahay.

My first order would be to fire the vulture type  diaspora folks who are making $7,000 dollars a month and replace  them with a local person who could do the job for $700 dollars or ten times less the than the greedy diaspora who fills the hotels. 

Folks, the whole Somali nation needs rehabilitation and to change the culture and attitude of our people. The  Oromo in Hargeisa, Boosaaso and Borama are sending hard currency to their villages in Ethiopia while the lazy Somali is chewing Qat and  talking to the latest  iPhone. 

We have been sending money to family members for twenty years. We helped then raise the children, and now when  those children became adults, they just started where their fathers and mothers left.

A friend told me that one of his nephew keep calling him from Uganda three in the morning. One night, he asked him about the Somalis whom hailed from the same region like him who owned clothing and other merchandise shops, and enquired about getting a job from those stores , especially the one owned by some close family members. He said, " Waar kuwaasi dadka ayey adoonsadaan oo 12 saacadood ayaa loo shaqeyya". 

The next day, he called one of the store owners and told him to hire him and send him $1200 dollars for his salary for one year. He informed him about the job and told to stop calling him and work at that shop.  Initially , he refused to work , but after a month  had passed,  he had no choice but to work to survive.

The Somali state leadership from  top to down is filled by people who accepted that the only way to build a nation or organize the security of the nation is money and muscle from donors. As long as that culture exists, do not expect any thing to change. If money and foreign weapons would resolve the economy and the insurgency related security,  it would have settled the Afghanistan issue which is still burning after 17 years, while getting  help from the most powerful army and  NATO.

I have friends who works for the Halane compound and they fly back and forth every three months. They work only  nine months a year with six fugue salary. 

Some of you might be too young but the bad culture and theft of the resources without had work started when the I M F landed Somalia in 1981. They devalued the Somali Shilling to boast the trade and imports and created the inflation that destroyed the poor and created the " Booli Qaran" and the Landcruiser that crisscrossed Mogadishu. 

I do not see any efforts to introduce or create a more stable or small denomination currency to replace the old Shilling that exchanges the one single dollar to thousands of Shillings. It seems Farmaajo and company had given the financial policy of the nation to others in order to get few millions.

The same thing is happening in Hargeisa to day where life is difficult for the ordinary people. In Garoowe, almost everyone is working for NGO's and other UN agencies. Hotels are full and people are flying from north and south to get the pie.

As I said, there is no short cut for nation and army building but hard work, sweat and blood. 

Inta aanu idiinka imaanayno iska nafisa. Wadankani gacan bir ah ayuu u baahan yahay.

In Canada, they say:

If you are breathing you work, if you are not working, you are not eating.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Yoniz,

The best news and the only valuable message that comes from these EU and World Bank affair is debt relief. If they actually agreed to debt relive that will be something to celebrate.

Personally, I have appetite for donor countries or their money. Nations are not build on donor or NGO money paid by the so called Paris club. Every decade, we hear that western donors want to contribute $40 billion development fund, millennium fund, or other funds to help the developing countries. 

Yet, if you ask them to right off the $40 billion dollar these countries accumulated during  the cold war or before 1990, they will say no. Why you want to give me aid money,  while on the other hand,  you keep pilling the interest of debt that undermines my economy by taking hundreds of millions of interest?. Not a single one of these nations is  capable of repaying the debt and their only efforts would be to keep paying  the interest.

The Soviet Union had written of over hundred billion dollar debt owed by the developing nations during the cold war. 

The world bank and other donors left Ethiopia in 2005, after disagreements with Meles Zenawi , the late prime minister. Yet, Ethiopia had grown for the last 14 years without world bank loans  .Look at the Asian nation from Burma, to Cambodia and other less developed than the big Asian tigers like South Korea. They have good infrastructure and relatively stable economy. They are not built by donors but the hard work of their people.

Furthermore, a government that resides in one city where all its military , police and ministers reside , doesn't need huge money to operate and survive. No one is asking them to serve the hospitals  in Buuhoodle, Diinsoor or Cadale. I bet you that the 68 government ministers are paid and maintained by the UN and the NGO's, just as their  travels, expenses and their  security is taken care off by others.

If I were a real opposition, I might even ask the huge salary budgeted for both the office of the prime minister and the president. In 2017, each one  of them was supposed to receive over $5 million  dollars in salary. That means close to 10% of the budget is consumed by these two men and their offices. Even if each of them had 20 or 30 employees,  that is too much for a nation that had a budget of little over $150 million dollars. Muuse Biixi in Hargeisa does the same thing by taking $13 million dollars to operate with a staff of two dozen, while education is allocated half of that.

Farmaajo even claimed that he doesn't know his yearly or monthly salary. Of course it is true when you have a bag money coming from the gulf.

Somalia uma baahno lacag aan la shaqaysan iyo deyn. Somalia shaqo ayey u baahan tahay.

My first order would be to fire the vulture type  diaspora folks who are making $7,000 dollars a month and replace  them with a local person who could do the job for $700 dollars or ten times less the than the greedy diaspora who fills the hotels. 

Folks, the whole Somali nation needs rehabilitation and to change the culture and attitude of our people. The  Oromo in Hargeisa, Boosaaso and Borama are sending hard currency to their villages in Ethiopia while the lazy Somali is chewing Qat and  talking to the latest  iPhone. 

We have been sending money to family members for twenty years. We helped then raise the children, and now when  those children became adults, they just started where their fathers and mothers left.

A friend told me that one of his nephew keep calling him from Uganda three in the morning. One night, he asked him about the Somalis whom hailed from the same region like him who owned clothing and other merchandise shops, and enquired about getting a job from those stores , especially the one owned by some close family members. He said, " Waar kuwaasi dadka ayey adoonsadaan oo 12 saacadood ayaa loo shaqeyya". 

The next day, he called one of the store owners and told him to hire him and send him $1200 dollars for his salary for one year. He informed him about the job and told to stop calling him and work at that shop.  Initially , he refused to work , but after a month  had passed,  he had no choice but to work to survive.

The Somali state leadership from  top to down is filled by people who accepted that the only way to build a nation or organize the security of the nation is money and muscle from donors. As long as that culture exists, do not expect any thing to change. If money and foreign weapons would resolve the economy and the insurgency related security,  it would have settled the Afghanistan issue which is still burning after 17 years, while getting  help from the most powerful army and  NATO.

I have friends who works for the Halane compound and they fly back and forth every three months. They work only  nine months a year with six fugue salary. 

Some of you might be too young but the bad culture and theft of the resources without had work started when the I M F landed Somalia in 1981. They devalued the Somali Shilling to boast the trade and imports and created the inflation that destroyed the poor and created the " Booli Qaran" and the Landcruiser that crisscrossed Mogadishu. 

I do not see any efforts to introduce or create a more stable or small denomination currency to replace the old Shilling that exchanges the one single dollar to thousands of Shillings. It seems Farmaajo and company had given the financial policy of the nation to others in order to get few millions.

The same thing is happening in Hargeisa to day where life is difficult for the ordinary people. In Garoowe, almost everyone is working for NGO's and other UN agencies. Hotels are full and people are flying from north and south to get the pie.

As I said, there is no short cut for nation and army building but hard work, sweat and blood. 

Inta aanu idiinka imaanayno iska nafisa. Wadankani gacan bir ah ayuu u baahan yahay.

In Canada, they say:

The culture and practise you detailed above will not change, almost impossible, seriously unlike a nut guy/group takes over the country. Rwanda, Eritrea  style.

YoniZ   
14 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Yoniz,

In Canada, they say:

Galbeedi, Sxb I feel your concern in that regard. 

Yes, there are Nomad parasites who also came back from the West serving some corrupted International NGOs for self enrichment. However, the picture is not all gloomy. There are people who already came back from the comfort life of zipping latte at Starbucks, they have chosen to fix what ever possible now, instead of criticizing or waiting for benevolent dictator, they do their best for the country.

The positives are not only the international grants, look closely to the changes in tax collection (which I am proud to have paid multi thousand dollars since Jan-18), salary payments and, nascent anti-corruption efforts. All these efforts will bring us closer to the elimination of the debt arrears under the HIPC initiative.

The problems we face are accumulated horrors of several decades, these will need many years of hard work before turning the tide.  It needs the combined effort of many people with good intentions. We cannot wait for Galbeedi to get permission from Madam and start his revolution :) , some of us have already got that coveted seal of approval and are on the ground, not for revolution but, definitely to contribute in the long process of rebuilding this broken country.

Your good revolution is needed but, allow the ones on the ground to pave the road for you and, other ambitious late arrivals. In the end, if you remember, none of the 13 SYL founding members held the highest positions after independence.

YoniZ   
4 hours ago, Oodweyne said:

YoniZ,

Pardon my cynicism, but I think you are singing a delicious version of "Kumbaya" in here. Why?

Well, to start off things nicely, one can say, that, this HIPC thing will not be going much further into the distance so long as Somalia has no ability to collect tax from one end of its jurisdictional territories to other end.

And with all his good intention, Dr Beyleh, can't collect tax from Bakaaraha market, if on the other hand the folks there decides to pay him not one penny more. Much less said about him collecting money from any other places in the country outside of Mogadishu.

It's good that someone, like Dr Beyleh kind of person, have actually decided to roll up his sleeves and get stuck-in to lift the wretched reality of Mogadishu, with it's rich cartels who doesn't want no freaking government at all which may in turn tax them. But I doubt it he will be having any success for any much longer in this "financial endeavor" of his.

Remember every year he must report back to the IMF and tell them and show them in "hard numbers" of how much tax-collection revenue he collected it, not only from the port of Mogadishu but across the regions and across the country. And I know no federal member states (FMSs), from Puntland to Jubbaland and all those in between, who will allow their tax-collection and cash-revenue to be under Dr Beyleh's finance ministry in out there in Mogadishu.

Of course, they may say to him this is how much we have collected in this financial-year, and then do so as a form of a "paper report" to his ministry in Mogadishu.

But in a "hard cash" sort of sense of "harmonizing and transferring their tax-collection from the regions's capitals to the capital of the country", which is what IMF and the other International Financial Institutions (IFIs) actually want so that they can use it as the basis of the "predicate" of how much the "accumulated debt" of Somalia they will "write-off", and how much "budgetary contribution" on a yearly-basis they will make to the federal government in Mogadishu, will not happen.

For it will not happen, because the alleged federal member states (FMSs) consider whatever measly tax they collect from the areas they control as their personal "piggy-bank" sort of thing. And they will guard whatever that in it with a jealous eyes.

Now, of course, on the other hand, they will scream "blue murder" and say we need all the help or "our cut" from whatever the federal government gets from the international financial institutions (IFIs), such as the World Bank, IMF, and others of the regional or global outfits of that kind, like the African development Bank, or the Islamic developmental bank and what-have-you.

However, when it comes for these FMSs to actually "pay-back" some of their tax-collected revenue from their areas under their control to the central government's finance ministry's tax-office, they will balk at the prospect of it.

Moreover, they will simply create all sort of mirror-and-smoke-racket and an endless silly talk along the lines of saying they will do it next year but not this year, without never actually doing it at all in any freaking year you could think of.

Or perhaps they cynically will sign any "legal documents" demanding from them to do so, but they will never, ever, actually implement what they have signed. 

This is the politics of the South (or Somalia). It's a "politics without honor" in which the southern's elites, the southern's financial big-wigs, and their teeming politicians, actually practice it in deeds sort of sense. And practice it as a matter-of-facts. Not what they say or sign in a "pro-forma sort of lip-service".

Hence, sad to say it, for it gives me no pleasure to note it in here, but, Dr Beyleh, with all of his good intention, will genuinely find that out the hardest way possible, the most pitiless way possible, long before his term at the finance ministry ends in Mogadishu, hopefully, in and around 2020/21.

Mark my words in here, mate.     

Oodka, sxb nothing wrong in trying to fix what is possible now.

If things keep going in the way they are now at the MoF and CBS, it will definitely lay solid foundations to be built on. That is exactly what Dr Bayle and his likes hope to leave behind. The horrors you mentioned are real and, still there but, to sit back and do nothing will not make them go away.

My predictions are,  if (and big IF to say the least) this team survive the many traps laid ahead until 2021, they will be collecting federal taxes in all over the six states including Mogadishu and, roll out the new Shillings to every corner of these areas.The SL issue though is a totally different ball game.

Samafal   

Dhahireto

Sxb ninkaan isagaa cay xoog ka dhigta marka Dhoocil sideed buu u guryantamaa ilaa uu sifiican u doodo without insult or personal attacks the name Dhoocil-Pensioner fits him right.

Dear Dhoocil-pensioner

You don't contribute any substantial thing to SOL except resorting name calling , insults, derailing every topic with non-sense and white lies. A pensioner ,your age should feel ashamed of himself. About Dr Abdiwali, he is going no where. He has the support of the Sool, Sanaag & Cayn MPs and until he tours Laas Anood as he toured Sanaag they won't let him go. Marka  ,we say no to the Dhoocil Pensioner's habaar to the good professor ,and Puntland's most successful president.

Cabdi cawar his time Is up  it's time to  pass the torche to reer boosaaso. The guy failed to get a pm in the Alison bunker . The guy  got a  good karbaash from the Somaliland  defense forces. He lost tukaraq he is  still making   threats. War bahalkan cabdi cawar wa bahal oo nagnagleeyo baryootama. Ama wax iska cell ama get out of the kitchen. The pirate bussines is also as good as done. The guy is bankrupt  mamuulka buqland wu burburaya Hadaan cabdi cawar laga qaban. Ama kninkisi u qora oo seexiya.

Samafal   

LOL muqayil Xaaji ma afkaad wax ku burburin markaad habaar ka quusatay

Dear Dhoocil Pensioner,

Dr Abdiwali will stay to haunt you many years to come whether Jeegaantu cry to international communities, whether you beg Amxaar to ineterfere, whether you send delegation after delegation to Garowe. 

You don't like him because he is unlike any other Puntland leader. Previous Puntland leaders ignored your attention seeking provocation for fear of furthering your cuqdad. Now you become too much, he is becoming bold. Sool is a war zone and Sanaag is completely annexed by Puntland where the dear leader stayed ,and dined there for almost a week. This is unprecedented and his next stop is Lascaanood. So no amount of habaar, insult and dhoocilnimo can stop him. He is simply  unstoppable. so my advice to you get some of that state pension you collect  from the Her Majesty's Post office and buy some very effective cyanide that would end your misery. I honestly can not see any other cure for your sickness.

Samafal   

Dhoocil Pension lives up to the name. Even when he has nothing new to say, he wants to have the last say. Ileen Dhoocil waa Dhoocile.