Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Why are Somali women FAT?

Modesty   

Everyday, all the Somali women I see are fat? I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this is unhealthy for our sisters. We need to start eating healthier, and exercising more. We need to stop eating baasto with ranch dressing, and stop eating too much meat. I myself am just got on the "low carb" diet, and I can't take it anymore, but I'm trying to slim down, as I have gained a little cushion lately. Anyways, I just noticed all the SOmali women that walk by me are fat, please guys let's stop eating too much.

Xoogsade   

Waa runtaa, as they grow older they become softer. Likewise, as the guys hit thirty and beyond, they develop small stomach that is protruding. Imagine a skinny man with a small protrusion? What an ugly sight lol. Anyhow, Somalida jimicsiga iskuma fiicna.

nuune   

qofkii caato ah qalliir fargeeto ilaah ka dhigey muxuu ka jimicsani ilaah baa na lahee,

back to the topic, the last time i seen a fat somali women was some years agoooooo, now all I c is wax wada caato ah aad moodo iney dhimanayaan oon waligoodba cunta cunin ama la yiri cuntaba ha cunina waa idinka xaaraam,

wallaahi buudhnaantaa la qaataa, waayo indhaha ayaaba naxariis kuu mari, wax wada qalqalloocan ood moodo iney jawaan cusba soo cuneen oo wada margiya waaween baa kaa soo hor bixi waqti allaale waqti kastood is tiraahdo mee hablihii dhexdhexaadka ahaa ama yara buudhnaa xoogaa ma xidido taagtaagan baan tabar u heenaa inaan aragno maalin kasto.

bil asxaan caatoos and buuroos NO, dhexdhexaadoos YES

I have seen so many somali girls with the cutest faces out there and the ugliest bodies ever... it makes me wonder whats so hard about dieting and working out 2 times a week!!

Haddad   

Originally posted by Modesty:

I see

What you see isn't what others see. I don't see Somali women are generally fat, especially when compared to other ethnicities (like African-Americans). Personally, I prefer medium-built, wouldn't mind moderate fat, but can't imagine marrying a skinny woman. It all depends on the individual. Bear in mind, the culture of your host country abhors being fat; it must have influenced you.

Aww, this is a mean post! Sometimes, women are genetically predisposed to gaining weight and it's not necessarily that they're eating too much. I would agree that it's the whole western ideal thing again...slightly fuller and happy rather than thin and miserable if you ask me! smile.gif

I have seen some somali girls who are incredibly pretty despite being more rounded. Guys prever curves anyway! ;)

Modesty   

looooooooooooooooool

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone here. I'm a girl btw. Anyways I sincerely posted this because I keep seeing fat somali women,and I wanted to increase the awareness. Hadaad, Alot of Somalis back home even in the old days didn't like fat. Anyways, I'm not advocating anorexia either, just stop eating too much baasto, bariis, iyo hilib everyday!! Plus, xalwa...ohh that is fattening.

I want to ask, is anyone here on a special diet, that is working? I'm trying a low carb, soup diet, has anyone tried that before?

Haddad   

I want to ask, is anyone here on a special diet, that is working? I'm trying a low carb, soup diet, has anyone tried that before?

Jumping on the wagon to try anything that might work isn't a smart idea or move. Some decades down the road, studies could conclude serious risks associated with low carb diet. Use common sense.

Dangers of Low Carb Diet

High-protein, low-carb diets advocate consuming more protein-rich foods such as eggs, meat, fish and cheese and less carbohydrate-rich foods like bread, potatoes and pasta. The reasoning behind these diets is that too many carbohydrates cause the body to overproduce insulin, leading to weigh gain. Insulin transports sugar from the bloodstream and stores it in muscle and liver cells as backup energy. When these stores get full, insulin stores sugar as fat.

Another theory is that eating carbohydrates throughout the day causes a constant release of insulin, making cells less receptive to the effects of it, leading to insulin resistance. This means that glucose cannot be transported to muscle and liver cells, causing it to be stored as fat.

Flaws in Low Carb Diet Theory

The problem with these theories is that insulin only turns carbohydrates into fat if you consume more calories than your body needs. Also, obesity causes insulin resistance, not carbohydrates.

Following this type of diet means that your body will also be lacking fibre and antioxidants. A diet too high in protein can also adversely affect your bone strength and place strain on your kidneys.

Low Carb Diet & Ketosis

Ketosis is another possible side-effect of following this diet. If your carbohydrate intake is so low that the glucose needs of your brain are not met, your body will burn fat incompletely to produce a substance called ketone, which is a substitute brain fuel. This may cause light-headedness, nausea and bad breath.

Balanced Diet is Best for Weight Loss

So why do people who swear by these diets look so good? Probably because they consume fewer calories than people who follow other diets. Protein curbs hunger better than carbohydrates or fat. It is obvious, though, that this is not a long-term solution. Nutritionists still recommend that 50 per cent of your diet should come from carbohydrates. Cut out pastries and sugary foods, but include vegetables, seeds, nuts, oats, pulses and wholewheat bread, rice and cereal in your diet. These have a low glycaemic index (GI), meaning that they are slow-releasing carbohydrates. Also opt for monounsaturated fats like olive oil.

Source

Modesty   

lol, I got my diets all mixed up.I guess I'm not doing the low carb thing, I'm cutting my meat intake, and eating more soup!Technically, I'm kinda "fasting" but not really,lol

lol   

Modest: I think it all boils down to how u dress and wat u wear... for example... if u have big a$$.. u can't wear low cut jeans.. so u opt with navel high jeans with low back pockets...it slims and give shape to ur behind...

Pluz if u have no shape up in ur waist like there is no concave like shape.. u use shirts or jackets.. that slide out at the bottom.

So sista.. don't starve urself... its not advisable to be so miserable.. its not wat the people think... its wat u make them think ... so sis.. choose ur clothes wisely.. am sure u will appreciate yourself more..

Good luck!

Mafia   

Sister, I think we don't live in the same world! Or, perhaps you were being sarcastic. Anyway,tell me where you see the fat Somalis. I might need to relocate there, for the sake of getting tired of seeing scrawny, (presummably) mulniturishoued Malis just about any other place I go.

Couple more Comments/Observations

-It's natural for a woman to gain wt after giving ibrth-so Don't be frightened by that.

-Mali Guys definately need to hit the gym. Factual, it isn't part of our culture, but it's no less important than many other dedications (TIP--don't just lift weights and then grow big chest & chicken legs...exercise uniformly).

As for sisters, I think you are doing much better job than our Brothers (except the skininess). At least, you ladies know how to coordinate your outfit, compared to our brothers wearing made-in-Kenya-1999-pink-colored-more-like-skirt-trousers! no offenses.

I might over-react to your comment, but I think this is an issue where us Malis happen to overlook. I am not myself a gym-geek, but few times a week in the Center is worth it.

Originally posted by Hibo:

Modest: I think it all boils down to how u dress and wat u wear... for example... if u have big a$$.. u can't wear low cut jeans.. so u opt with navel high jeans with low back pockets...it slims and give shape to ur behind...

Pluz if u have no shape up in ur waist like there is no concave like shape.. u use shirts or jackets.. that slide out at the bottom.

So sista.. don't starve urself... its not advisable to be so miserable.. its not wat the people think... its wat u make them think ... so sis.. choose ur clothes wisely.. am sure u will appreciate yourself more..

Good luck!

sup with the flag hibo??? I thought you were Pro-Somalia??!!!

Modesty   

Hibo thnks for the "fashion tips" macaanto, but I beg to differ, I rather wear the low cut jeans "in shape" than to fake it. Anyhow, loooooooooooooool Harvard-mafia, you made me fall off my chair laughing at that last comment. I know! I hate those 'made-in kenya' pants, it's hideous, and pleaseeee can they stop wearing "fubu" with those pants because Fubu is soooooo 1998!

Senora   

Everyday, all the Somali women I see are fat? I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this is unhealthy for our sisters. We need to start eating healthier, and exercising more. We need to stop eating baasto with ranch dressing, and stop eating too much meat. I myself am just got on the "low carb" diet, and I can't take it anymore, but I'm trying to slim down, as I have gained a little cushion lately. Anyways, I just noticed all the SOmali women that walk by me are fat, please guys let's stop eating too much.

Its should be noted that excessive eating and obesity isnt just a problem with self-control, but can stem from a variety of factors: stress, traumatic experience, self-esteem issues, etc. Of course im not ruling out poor eating habits, but obesity has been proven to be a very complex issue that varies from individual to individual.

The next time you see someone whom you believe to be "overweight", be a little more sympathetic. You never know what that person might be going through behind closed doors.