Sign in to follow this  
Somali-feminist

What do somali men know about romance?

Gediid   

Jamal11

Your signature sidaan maqley waxaa tidhi islaan Virginia degaan.I first heard that in the winter of 2000 and it cracked me up then and it cracked me up now.

Now on the subject of Somali romanticism,dont you think we should ask Samiyah to elaborate on the topic a lil bit further,expalin how she personally percieves romance,what we Somali men need to work on to be qualified as "ROMANTIC" men.I'm sure it would make an interesting read and be educating at the same time.......

As-salaamu alaikum wr wb,

Walaloyiin ya’ll jumped to conclusions, and I have also observed in this forum how people partake in a fruitless debates, you’ll see two folks arguing about something they obviously agree upon...Aite let me start by pointing out the obvious here...the tone of romance is ofcourse mutual respect, kindness, love, companionship, and harmonious interaction. We want more than just Hollywood-style romance. I honestly don’t get the concept of flowers :confused: (they would eventually die, so what does that tell you about your love for her? Another thing, :rolleyes: ‘m not cheap, but what’s the point of spending $50 for something that’ll last for 5 days? I rather have you spend that money on charity, which would last a life time) aite, to the ones who were complaining about their women gaining weight, well you might want to start reflecting on whether you want to get her *hint hint* chocolate on your so called day of love "valentine's day"... it shouldn't take you by suprise if she starts putting on few pounds! We are not asking for much, we don’t the five-star dinner reservation or for you to buy us three carat diamond. If you want to show her how romantic you are be unpredictabl...getting back to the subject, I’m sure every muslimah would agree with me when I say we don’t date prior to marriage...would I be correct to assume ya’ll know the reasons? So, I was actually referring to romance after marriage, and on selecting a partner...As a practicing Muslim I shouldn’t tell you how our methods of selecting a partner differs from the kufars...so to the brother who was bragging about dating outside his race, walalo I just hope they are muslims for your sake, cause know the saying if you sleep with dogs you wake up with flies...well in this case with disease...huuno, this is a joke, so have compassion when ur about to retaliate icon_razz.gif ...Some of you probably think this is outdated, but ah well, that’s my two cents, and I hate nothing more than to waste my energy n youth on few stolen moments...*another lamme joke* I have this dream like Mr Luther king did, that one day our men would be capable of being as romantic as the sahabas and that they would be able to feed us like the prophet (scw) said, "that when a husband feeds his wife, he gets a reward for this act and allah increases the bond of love between them" :D ... Brothers it wouldn't kill you to be her best friend, it just seems to me that mali brothers see this buddy scenario being highly inappropriate. We want a brother who is well balanced, not an extremist...I know each coin has two sides to it, and that the brothers would view us being unromantic...give us your feedback on how we could improve...‘mma sum this up with the following ayah “they are your garments and you are their garments.” (2:187) would it kill us to be a warm garments for one another *another pathetic attempt for a joke* :D

Originally posted by Samiyah:

salaamu alaikum wr wb,

forgive if I have stated anything that might have frustrated some of you, for it wasn't my intention spotlight you probably were craving for...

Walalo Ramadan indeed is holy
smile.gif
, and I for one is saddened by the fact soon it will come to an end
smile.gif
......however darling, I hate to remind you, but if you think that we ought to censor ourselves about certain topics, why should we do so only this month?:

Thank you sista,I couldn't have said this better. People on this forum act like the world will be over if they act or speak of anything that might seem unholy in this holy month. But soon as the month is over they will be going back to their same ol business.

Anyways to answer your dilemma in a simple format.

Romance comes in many forms. Communicating to your significant other in langauge only you two can understand is romantic. A certain smile can be romantic. The way someone smells can be romantic. The way someone always seem to know what your thinking cane be romantic. It comes in a million forms.

What do you find Romantic sista?

Baashi   

Wa caleykum Salam Samiyah,

Right on! there...ur last post, I now see what u meant by romance. That I agree and we should work on that.

As Jamaal_11 noted there are countless poems and songs recited on the behave of the loved and cherished qallanjo cuties by Somali men. Lyrics and the very tone in which these nomads have conveyed the beauty, the manners, and even the appearance of their love is very telling to say the least. Of course not all Somali men have the talent of the poets but this is one of the omissions of ur research, observations. U see! u r treated as very highly regarded qallanjo and thus ur post is being looked at with magnifying glasses :D ...by now u can tell how bored I am 2day.

One question Samiyah though; how many men (Somali) do u know (have known) intimately, up and close? Be honest now smile.gif aquintance, close association, etc. count them all add them up and put a number...how many do u come up? U sure do know little bit about us or else u wouldn't make such sweeping statement. Ur research on the subject should have some stats, I expect, on hand. Ur observation count too... :D

Wlc on board sis. BTW, I've been around here on SOL for quite sometime and let me tell u folks here are nice...n they will make u come back I assure u. Opinions vary and there r few not so nice detractors and spoilers...but I learned to tolerate them.

Is there anything more romantic than this in this whole wide world?

waxay ugu dareyd,

markii aan dul imid

taan dunida rabey

iyadoo doog dhexjiiftoo

daawaneysa ubaxoo

show raaxo damacdoo

durba gareyskii furatoo

sii deysey timihii

Aan is idhi ma deysaa

mise waa dugsiisaayee

dibnaha ma isa saartaan

yaa dookh u heli jirayey

daddow daddow daddow maxaad

ka odhan leyd?

One doesnt need to be there to know exactly what he is after....in one go apicture painted for u with just a few words. Wouldnt you desire her? Remember that was written by a somali man and a primitive one at at that too:)

Gediid   

Samiyah

Now that you have elaborated on what you meant by romance,I fully agree with you.If a brother has these qualities mansha Allah if you lack them it aint to late to learn.Start off by making a hard copy of Samiyah's post and reading it twice a day till you have it memorized.After all what she has said are I believe the duty of every man. smile.gif

Being romantic is being considerate - making that extra effort to make your partner feel you think about them.Something as simple as picking up something from the grocery that you know you hate but ur partner likes is Romantic, tape-recording that game or soap while they are away is romantic, making dinner and making yourself ready 4 them 2 get home is romantic - make an effort , be creative ... thats romance icon_thumbs.gif

Qac Qaac   

if u see the sahaba's way and the prophet's sunnah was romantic. then yes sis. will try to work on it. and immitate the salaf and the prophet scw.

i personally thought, u ment romantic way, in the western style. but know i now.

p.s. we'll try to fellow every pharse in the quran. and the sunnah of the prophet which explains the quran.

Originally posted by Shaqsii:

Is there anything more romantic than this in this whole wide world?

waxay ugu dareyd,

markii aan dul imid

taan dunida rabey

iyadoo doog dhexjiiftoo

daawaneysa ubaxoo

show raaxo damacdoo

durba gareyskii furatoo

sii deysey timihii

Aan is idhi ma deysaa

mise waa dugsiisaayee

dibnaha ma isa saartaan

yaa dookh u heli jirayey

daddow daddow daddow maxaad

ka odhan leyd?

One doesnt need to be there to know exactly what he is after....in one go apicture painted for u with just a few words. Wouldnt you desire her? Remember that was written by a somali man and a primitive one at at that too:)

Shaqsii!

i dont believe this man was primitive at all! i think he was a very intelligent man! just cuz we get a piece of paper from a western establishment (which we pay mucho money) dont mean we are superior to ones to time certified artists! this song will out live harvard university and the likes of it, + u/I and everyone out here on this planet!! civilizations do expiration date but literature is timeless! bro..

Hey Rudy...

Just being sarcastic bruv....U know anything Somali is lately scorned at by more Westernised Somalis than you can ever get to know. Primitive as in the western idiology of not understanding what is Gold, Classy, Beautiful and under their very noses.

OUR CULTURE HAS RICHES BEYOND BELIEVE BUT NO DRIVERS AND NAVIGATORS TO DRIVE IT..... :rolleyes:

sectioner, difaaca aan idin difaacay aa kaaga dartay soo ma aha, waa caadiyoos gaajada aa kaa hadalsiineeso aan u maleenaa

anyway gabadha bilaawday topic gaan, walaal adi un beey kuu fiican tahay hadaad habeenna gafin tarawiixda teeda kale ani weli waad ila qaldan tahay inaad waxaanoo kale ka hadashit bishaan oo kale. ma wax kale oo nagu kordhisit oo qeyr leh maa waysay? maskaxdaada bishaan qeyreysan wax qeyr eh ku mashquuli annakana noo faa idee!!

waa runtaa 11 bilood kale xitaa waa in ilaah la xusaa, quf kasta taas wuu ogsoon yahay laakiin aan mid kugu kor dhiyo bishaan aa uugu qeyr badan ogaaw, marka bi fadlak maskaxda waxyaala kale na daciifin karo occupied hanooga dhigin.

ps, hadaad jawaabaheyga ka xumaatay ka raali noqo!

I REST MY CASE

Salaamu alaikum wr wb,

Walalo, mahad sananid inaad naxasusid khair inuu fican yahay bishan... Ilahay kuligeen huuno khair kisa hanala wada kulmiyo... sweety, hal kilmad maan kuwedin kara, anigu waxaad igu cuneesid so ma aha inaan topic romantic ah kahadlay, watahay huuno waan joojinahaya... lakeen huuno, bishan fadliigasa farahabadan cala oowgiis magacaga maad ubadali weeday? runti huuno dee ilama aha topickeega inu siduu magaca graphic(couldn't think of somali term :rolleyes: ) u yahay inuu uyahay... walalo iga ralinoqo hadan kuxasusiyay wax oo adan umaleen inaad ka fa iden san karto... :confused:

nuune   

samiyah,are you romantic?

please explain to us,we really don't know,everybody got their own meaning for romantic