Sign in to follow this  
Bess.

sex education.....yes or no?.....

Bess.   

besides...i don't think our parents are up todate about wat sexuality means today... all the diseases...and children are exposed to very sophisticated sexual ideas.....and we need to catch them b4 they have gone too far.....lets help our little peeps b4 they get lost..... smile.gif

Qac Qaac   

i think we should educate the kids, and the adults that think they know everything about sex education and the fiqh of islam... together... it won't be enough just to have a workshop on it.. bring the fiqh in it.. and they it would be good. as for those teens who are sexually active get them married.. damn it..

Hey

I think there is no one who at age 13 and above dont know what todo when it comes to sex...to me i dont think the reason why somali young girlz get pregnant coz of none education about sex... i remember when i was at a young age my mother alwayz advice me about not having sex and stuff like that and also we are muslim we also do get some education about sex in madrasa.

everyone nowadayz know alot about sex and its not a luck of education or inough information about sex is just they would love to make love and it endup having sex and stuff. so all iam saying is they just need to stop having sex period. or when they fill the stomach they need to handle it coz they brought that to them self.

Tuujiye   

Sex educaton!!!!!!!!!

Is very simple, educate them about the DIIN..specialy the FIQ like qac'qaac said..is very simple. If they don't want to learn it from the diin, then why are we trying to help them, why should we help them when they are rejecting the diin...

I agree with some of theng that OG-girl mentioned, but we have to put this in our minds, ISLAM IS A WAY OF LIFE..Islam teachs us all of this staff but we have to use it the right way. which is the FIQ...

wareer badanaa!!!

juba   

i belive that sex education can go both ways. it can spark interest in the student about sex and it can inform him or her of its dangers. it is good to be aware of the shortcomings of sex before marriage and the consequences of it. But is it really necessary for muslim girls and boys? shouldn't it be obvious by now that such practices are wrong?a muslims guide to sex education is the quran and basic concious. there really is no need for knowing about condoms and STD's when you can't have premarital sex anyway!!

Rahima   

Yes, so long as it is within the boundaries of Islam.

Often, Muslims in an attempt to counteract the open promiscuity of the non-Muslims, tarnish and make it a dirty word that has no place in the life of a Muslim.

As a young child, through friends and school mates, we learnt what is relevant as is seen through the eyes of the non-Muslims, at home we also somehow picked up that it is dirty and unislamic. I remember back in primary school after a sex-education class a Muslim friend and I told our non-Muslim school mates that we as Muslims did not do such a thing because it was against our religion; rather that God just implants the baby in the stomach of mothers. As we grew older, we began to learn that it is part of human procreation and not necessarily dirty so long as it is within the prescribed limits of our religion.

The same can be said for puberty, I think often we Somalis do not educate the young about this and are often very misinformed. I know many young girls who believe that to get their period is basically the end of life, that they somehow loose their goodness and innocence.

We need to counteract this type of thinking and misinformation.

At least I know I won’t leave it in the hands of others to educate my children. Who knows what they might be telling them. Here in the west, the dogma is prevention not abstinence, we as Muslims must adopt the method of abstinence.

Here in Australia, to get an abortion is a very private matter. You do not require the permission of a parent or guardian; it is a one-day procedure and almost hassle free. As far as I am aware the Somalis in Australia have not reached the levels of their counterparts in the US and Europe (only because most have being here for a short while in comparison), therefore promiscuity is not widespread and rarely do you hear of a girl falling pregnant outside of marriage. However, it is increasing as the years go by as they assimilate more and more into the western culture.

My sister attended a session on FGM and the guest speaker who works at one of the prominent Women’s hospitals here in Melbourne explained how more and more young Somali girls are coming in for private abortions. She explained that in comparison to the complete numbers it is almost next to nothing, but a few years there were no such cases, but now you might get 2 or 3 cases per year. This is alarming, for it is just showing growth, who knows what the figures might be like in 10 years or so.

In my opinion, these problems arise because these young boys and girls are not taught why we must abstain from the deed before marriage. Often we as Somalis focus on the pregnancy and reputation parts of it whilst neglecting the religious aspect. We fail to educate our young about the severity of the sin and hence they feel they can hide it. If they were taught the true reasoning and taqwa was established into their hearts then they would know that Allah is watching wherever they might be even if their parents or relatives are not.

Horta ha is wareerinina . . carruurtii waxa la leeyahay Sex education way u baahan yihiin,,,, sidoo kele dadkii waaweynaa oo waalidka ahaana way u baahan yihiin si ay caruurtooda wax uga dhaadhiciyaan . . .

The question is : YAA WAX BARAYA ?? mar hadii yar iyo weynba loo baahan yahay yaa u dhigaaya sex education ka ????

nafta   

lol..soo primitive some people in here..honestly

SEX waxey moodaan iney gaalada soo saartay...how are we all concieved then, if our 'unknowing' parents didnt know anything about it.

Anyways, i think it's a good idea to educate these youths not only about the CONCEQUENCES, but also about what's involved IF it should cross their minds.

It's all hush hush and ceeb weyn in our culture to even mention the s word, but still it didnt stop careweelo exploring it for herself and ending up with calool naf lago buufiyay....so sometimes a little more TALK about it might result into a little less ACTION...u mark my words

As for who would teach it, i think that shouldnt be problem, anybody can go and ask for a spot in the community centre's...it's up to you to take the responsibility

calool naf lago buufiyay

Loooooooooooooooooool Nafta . . . waa hadashay walaahi . . marka horena ciyaar ciyaaray moodaa marka dambena calooshay taagtaa . . . :D

aniga waan wareeray . . dadkii waaweynaa wax ma yaqaanaan ,, kuwii yar yaraa wax ma yaqaanaan . . yaa wax dhigaya yaase loo dhigayaa ????

It is still the question ??

I suppose it depends on the definition of the sex education we are advocating here. The sex education they teach pupils in British schools is neither useful nor effective.

If I recall correctly (been a while) sex education in high school basicaly amounted to our PSE teacher demonstrating how to put a condom on an awful plastic thingy. redface.gifredface.gif

This is not something I want taught to my kids. However, I do agree a certain amount of education is necessary, preferably from a religious point of view. I am not too sure how relevant this would be to today's know-it-all, sophisticated teenagers tho.

[EDIT]

a wise man once said " children learn by doing" .....meaning in this case they are going to practice it. In order for you to avoid that.....you don't teach them sex! It's black and white, no room for grey area. simple innit

Originally posted by Bee:

The strategy I used for my younger sisters is a little off-the-wall. I went out of my way to educate them on and emphasise the effects and consequences of Venereal Diseases in gory details, while paying special attention to the particularly nasty ones. I assure you, the thought of having great big weeping warts and sores on most sensitive and delicate areas is more than enough to put anyone off sex for good. And it seems to have worked beautifully, since I hardly ever hear any of them discussing boys or sex.

Don’t forget the baby that pops out immediately after. Last nite, I made my little sister watch this documentary called 'Britain’s Youngest mum's and dad's’ (any1 else see it?), to reiterate that sex = a min of “illusory†joy, followed by 9 months of pain and toil, distress and boredom, getting ostracised and a lifetime of responsibility. I may have scarred her for life, but she goes to a school full of dodgy kids.

Come to think of it, it is a VERY risky business.