Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Botswana: Star of Africa

Peacenow   

Well done to Botswana for another peaceful election. Botswana is the pride of Africa and here is why:

Botswana is the largest diamond-exporting country in the world. It gained independence from Britain in 1966 – and in 1967 the first diamonds were discovered. This has given the country one of the largest growth rates in per capita income in the world over the past three decades.

Economic growth averaged 9pc per year from 1967 to 2006. Most of this was built on diamonds. The country generated more than one third of its GDP and 70pc of export revenue from trading in gems – until the crunch hit.

Well done to Botswana.

botsb.jpg

bots1g.jpg

bots2v.jpg

bots3.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botswana

Cowke   

I love botswana, it is infact one of my favourite countries in Africa. I love their zero tolerance to corruption, infact at their airport it says "corruption free-state".

Originally posted by Cowke:

I love botswana, it is infact one of my favourite countries in Africa. I love their zero tolerance to corruption, infact at their airport it says "corruption free-state".

Been to Bostwana? What city?

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

^You ask too many questions
icon_razz.gif

I sure do. and you lament a bit too much.

Do you like bostwana?--have u been to bostwana? what city? L0L: smile.gif

I am bored as hell

Pacifist   

In fact yes Somalis are every where but yes alot of somali families most of them are waiting for refugee sponsor. Most of them live in Francistown in Dukwi refugee camps but others live in the Capital Gaborone. Most of the Somalis in Botswana come from South Africa because of the violent unrest in rural area's in SA. Also in the jails near the borders are alot of Somalis who have been caught without papers, some of them have been in the jail for more then 10 years. If I can remember I saw an article last year about the unhumane treatment they have encountered by the Botswana police.

Overall the country is beautiful and very safe compared to most of the countries I visited. Corruption is low, compared to Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Malawi and Kenya.

People are very friendly and welcoming. The is really developing but not as developed as Tanzania and Kenya.

I spent most of my time near Choma National Park near the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Would I go visit again yes Would I love to live in Botswana No probably because its dry the country is landlocked and I love my oceans.

The reason that BOtswana is doing so well is because of their President Siretse Khama Ian Khama! A freaking Good Leader. Now that is what we need for these other countries.

Corruption is getting out of control in Southern Africa. I was lucky because I spoke the languages but customs and immigration officers tried to school me but they forgot I knew the language.

Another thing we somalis are always targeted because we teach the corrupted official the Lalush. At the Lusaka airport in Zambia was bording for my flight to Joburg. This young Somali guy around his mid twenties was ripped off. He already paid $200 dollars in lalush and he was headed to Angola with a refugee Passport. He was about to pay more money until I talked to him and the immigration officer was the same guy who tried to rip me off but he left him alone because I spoke to them in Nyanja.

nuune   

Originally posted by Aaliyah416:

It looks beautiful, inshallah I would luv to visit. Are there any Somalis there?

Yes, the wife of the king of Botswana is Somali.

If I correctly remember the President of Botswana has won the good governance prize of Mo Ibrahim Foundation - which no African head of state has won this year. A good motivation for Presidents to give up on power and live a comfortable lifestyle after relinquishing power, just like the after dinner talk and media circus that the western leaders make money from after power.

I was listening to an interview by Mr Ibrahim, and he was talking about how the media always perpetuate the bad news of Africa. He took the president of Botswana and his country as an example and said, whenever I'm giving lectures I ask people if they know where Botswana is, very few raise their hands, he said. And he said, when I ask them if they can name the president of the nation, there is almost no hands raised, stating his point of the few African good governance success stories. I hope they strengthen and work at it 'cause the black continent and the 3rd world - term I loath - has many enemies who would want to use and abuse them, and when done throw them away like a piece of rug.

^^Adiguba hadaad Bantu African tahay, lacag iyo privelege heysato, soo maadan damci lahayn inaad wax ka qabsato, African-kan dayacan ee quruxda badan (dumarka Soomaalida).

^ exactly!

I believe Somalia can get there easily and quickly, if and ONLY if these senseless killings and anarchy stop. Thats in level II of the game, the question is with the lack of the right skill how can we ever get there? God knows best! Aanu Alla barino!