Sign in to follow this  
wacdaraha_aduunka

Atlanta

I'm considering a position in this city so all Sol members who knows the good and bad things about this city, help a brother out. I'm used to Europe's public transport but I know I'll be driving a lot over here but how's the living costs compared to a city like london? Is there a sizable somali community over there and hows the housing over there, is it better to rent or to buy?

And :

Traffic

Nightlife

African American community v Somalis ( I've been to Chicago and it wasnt the best place to be somali)

Muslim community and do you find Halal food in most places or you'd have to go immigrant neighbourhoods to find things.

Anything else useful

I was there for four days and stayed in midtown (or was't downtown) to visit family. I didn't get out much, but the little I was able to see was impressive, and seemed nice. i never got on public trans, even though I have seen a great deal of buses and undergroung train stations. I am sure you'd get to where u want to with trains and buses, but most people drive.

there is a Somali community in ATL but not as big as those u'd find in Ohio, MN, California or NY. it's a huge *** place, so ur closest Somali might live quit a drive.

Nightlife is ok, traffic sucks (unless ur on pup trans).

the place is predominately black (and ur hispanics, asians here).

I dunno if there is issues between blacks and Somalis but my guess is no. If it's ur fist time, enjoy the city, explore it and make as many friends and connections as possible. i am sure there are members from Atlanta here and they could help u more than I can.

Atlanta is the capital of Black America or so they say. It's the hub of the educated and middle class young black entrepreneurs. As far as the city goes, it has all the things a cosmopolitan would have and more. Traffic can get bad, but the good thing is that it has a very reliable metro/transit-trains and buses system, so it will definitely gonna work for you. I haven't heard any racial issues between Somalis with any other communities.

There are plenty of halal meat groceries as well as some Somali restaurants too. As far as the cost of living goes, it's much much cheaper than the north/eastern part of the country or the western. And if you have the money it's a good time to buy house now. You could get a nice sized house in good neighborhood for under $200k.

Nin Yaaban thanks for your input bruh much appreciated. Ghelle I hear that Atlanta is where most educated and professional blacks live and that sounds good. I mean in London there isnt many blacks who've achieved as much as in the States and Somali's is a whole different chapter. Many of them oddly have many positions within banking and government positions but arent visible in their communities. Biying a house in the south especially Atlanta is way cheaper then london, but its probably better to rent first and find a cool area then maybe go into buying. Thanks for all info bruh much appreciated

STOIC   

Atlanta, ha? I’ve lived in that city for a decade and I’m planning to go back and practice there when I get out of “Prison”….Now to go straight to your question, YES, YES and definitely YES you need a CAR. The public transportation is SLOW (as is everything with the SOUTH). Atlanta has one of the best ROADS in the USA, but unfortunately there is a Heavy traffic you will deal with everyday!

The nightlife depends on what you looking for.If you are teeneager there are plenty of clubs and Gentlemen clubs (If you know what I mean). Buckehaed used to be the best place to hang out, but unfortunately it is closed now due to politics of Real Estate. Nowadays majority of the clubs are in places like Tucker (which is a stone throw away from Somali area). Majority of the Somalis live in Clarkstone, a small low income neighborhood. This is where the Somali life revolves . You will find your halal store, your Somali barbershop and your dahabshil. The best Somali restaurant is Medina (a place with a lousy service, but a good bariis and hilib).

Atlanta has a mixed population of white, black and Hispanics . Every ethnicity lives predominately in one area. You can have a black doctor, lawyer, or even a rap star as your neighbour if your wallet will let you! Same as in any city there are different people with different back ground both socially and economically!

Places I'll advice you to live and yet be closer to midtown and Somali area, but a bit trendy and cool is apartments near Dunwoody area or Gwinnet is not that bad ( but a bit far)...You can also live in Alpharetta if you don't wanna be around Somalis or blacks.

EDIT as for the issue about blacks and Somalis there has never been a problem between the two communities!

STOIC   

^^^Norcross is a Mexican hub.I never liked that area, but it is way better than Clarkstone..if you go couple of exits down on 1-85N you can find decent apartments.Dunwoody is where I was advicing him to live (especially near Shallowford Rd).My suggestion is based on that he is a professional who can afford to pay eight hundred to a a thousand dollars a month on one/ two bedroom apartment!

STOIC   

Niin yabaan,

I'm learning the trade of a carpenter;how to make Luxurious Custom Cabinets for Kitchens and Bathrooms.When I get out of "prison" I'll be making a DREAM kitchen a reality!

I will add one more thing. It has a decent weather were you don't have to worry about snow in the winter time and extreme hazy / humidity in summer time. As far as spring time, pollen is the major issue that allergy susceptible people suffer.

As for crime, I think it's rated number 10 when compared to major metropolitan cities.

Originally posted by STOIC:

Niin yabaan,

I'm learning the trade of a carpenter.How to make Luxurious Custom Cabinets for Kitchens and Bathrooms.When I get out of "prison" I'll be making a DREAM kitchen a reality!

Inmates weren't allowed near any tools that could made into weopons in the one I was in, even though it was a minimum custody facility. the most learning you could get in that place was to complete a GED program.

STOIC i hope you get out jail soon bruh :D:D But thanx for all the info.. Yea AfricaOwn heard about that at work. I was going out to lunch with my girl and my co-workers knew about that and making fun out of it. When my girl heard that :D:D But hey i heard there's a lot of muslims living there and besides it cant be worse than london so its cool.

STOIC   

^^^^I was arrested for Smoking a blunt and drinking a 12 pack while driving all at the same time.....As for the tools they even do have internet here...