Sign in to follow this  
Senora

The Alchemist

Senora   

Asalamu Aleykum sisters and brothers

Considering that many of us have read The Alchemist by now, I've decided to lead the discussion.

All of us have dreams, its whether we choose to follow them that differentiates us. Santaigo, a sheperd boy finds out that he has a treasure by the Egyptian pyramids. He sacrifices just about everything in pursuit of this dream: His love, satisfaction, and security with his sheep. However, it was the wisdom he acquired through the journey, that became his treasure.

In the beginning, i found it irratable how Santiago believed that God and religion wasn't a part of his personal calling (when he decides to become a sheppard as opposed to a priest). "Knowing the world was more important than knowing God and learning men's sins."

But the book takes a turn, and in the end, I believe the moral of the story was that in every mission, you must find God.

I enjoyed the optimism this book displayed. Giving you that age-old philosophy, that you can achieve anything you want, as long as you go abt it sincerely. And the emphasis on the simple things in life:Listening to your heart, and my personal favorite, everything in this world carries a soul.

One of my favorite moments in the book was meeting the Crystal merchant. The Merchant reveals to the boy that his dream is to go to Mecca (now how many of us are in this same boat). However, the merchant discouragingly announces that having a dream is more important that achieving it. For me, the Crystal Merchant symbolized the sacrificing of dreams for conformity. Living a life of emptiness and unfulfillment.

All in all, this was a wonderful read! smile.gifsmile.gif

With that said, I have a few questions that I would like to ask you guys?

--What sort of symbols and hidden messages did you find while reading?

--In your life, have you ever had to sacrifice something in order to reach a goal? If so, what was your “beginner’s luck�

--Honestly, are you more of Santiago (bold enough to follow your dream), or the crystal merchant (having a dream is more important than pursuing it)? Please explain?

feel free to add your own questions, and to tell us your thoughts on the book

Pacifist   

Hey dee

Read the book last summer loved it.

I would love to add my two cents at the moment but be back later to do that. Got to study for a exam.....

P.S

HOpe u doing great hon

Senora   

Alhamdulilah girl!..I see all is well with you!..Hope you do well on that exam!

can't wait to hear your "two cents" ;);)

Salma   

I found this book very appealing. Its full of signs, codes, symbols, wisdom, philosophy, adventures, challenges, spirituality, lessons of virtues and morals and the reality that Fate is controlling our life. It showed us besides to Santiago's dream; his relationships with the animals(his sheeps),humans: His love, his teacher, his companions& his enemies.

“Everyone on earth has a treasure that awaits himâ€

Santiago, the Andalusian boy learned a lot from this fantastic long and exhausted trip where he understood that the real treasure was in doing this trip and exploring his self. From a Shepherd in Tarifa in Spain, to a Glassmaker in Africa then facing the warrior tribesmen till reaching the Pyramids in Egypt. He met many people (The Alchemist, The Robber in Tangier, Fatima, The Glassmaker, The Englishman, The Caravan leader, The Warriors, the Thieves,,, etc) and he learnt something from everyone. Humans were not his only teachers but also he learnt from the animals: His own sheeps, the Horses, the Camels, the falcon in the desert and even he learnt from the stones in his hands. Its true that he had missed many opportunities but I believe it was for his own good in order to reach for the biggest opportunity his “Personal Legendâ€.

Dreams needs actions to become true, you can’t just sit there and wait for your dreams to become true. First of all you need to give the chance for your soul to believe, your imagination to soar your brain to work and your muscles to move. And not give a chance to the fear coz it’s the big failure that will stop any human to accomplish his/her dreams and targets. and Never give up for what you believe in.

I laughed so loud when I knew that the treasures were burried in the church & not the pyramids :D

Now the most things I loved in this novel:-

1- The Silence sometimes teaches the Human: When he was walking with the Alchemist, the Alchemist told him to listen to his heart and soul) very carefully before deciding.

2-The Conclusion that “The Soul of the world is Godâ€: when he risked his life and decided to turn himself into wind, he asked the Alchemist, the Desert, the Wind and the Sun. And they couldn’t help him in any thing. But when he prayed hard to God he realized and believed that God is the only one who can help him to rescue his life he got the full picture.

3-We don’t have to expect that life should be CLEAR, some things are not clear in this life and you may find them so complicated, full of codes and symbols. We have to notice, understand, identify and explain them. And not to wait for others or life to explain them for us.

4-Trully, I do agree with the ending. “The treasures are not buried under the Pyramids they are buried in the Churchâ€, Iam sure if Santiago were informed about this info earlier he wouldn’t enjoy the pleasure of this treasure without meetig met all the people he met, without facing all the good and bad situations he encountered or without learning all the great lessons and knowledge he gained. The treasure will be nothing without this trip.

5- Maktub, everything is written in this life. . Our entire destiny is written, our steps, movements, decisions, dreams are all written. Someone lazy would say, “If this thing (whatever) is written for me then it will happen, why should I bother myself working hard to do them or even think about themâ€. Which is wrong. Humans should work hard to reach their dreams and if its written it will happen, if its failed to happen, they won’t lose anything but gaining knowledge, wisdom and more experience.

If I had the chance; I wouldn’t make any other endings, it’s the perfect ending.

Bottomline : Santiago learnt many things in this trip and gained more than what he imagined. The adventurous, spiritual, intellectual sides for this trip are much important & richer than the Treasure itself smile.gif

Fiance'

Yes I have many dreams and I tried my best to accomplish them, some of them had failed and some of them became true. I prefer Santiago's character rather than the Merchant coz whats the benefits of having dreams without working hard or believing to reach/accomplish them??!!

By the way I read from somewhere that the Brazilian Author: Paulo Coelho has a spanish blood, and he is so influneced by the Andalusian Era in Spain. If anybody noticed in all his books; he put a Quote from the Bible in the preface, like in Alchemist he used a quote from (Luke). Anyway, the point of the Maktub is always available in all his books.

To know more about him, visit his webiste below:-

Paulo's Website

My Questions:-

1- Whats the most thing you liked about this Novel?

2- Do you have/believe in your Personal Legend?

3- Different faces, Places and events will add unique things to your personality and enrich your life, What was the most important incident/event in this story? and Why?

4- How did you find the ending?

Salam

P.S: Thanx Fiance for starting this discussion, I thought nomads will discuss it in 2006 and not now :D

Muhammad   

did I heard Andalusia? don't make me weap.

sorry, I haven't read this book so I can't comment on it, but I just wanted to add that on top of the list of my dreams/goals, is to Insha'Allah one day Travel accross Andalusia and pray inside the great mosque of cordoba!

I'm now reading, The Story of Islamic Spain - by Syed Azizur Rahman, and also I have been doing research on Muslim Andalusia for sometime now, looking at sites of major battles, palaces, mosques,... I think to enjoy the journey even more, one must know were he/she is going!

Great discussion, am so glad you brought it up sis.

hmm, i don't know where to start, i just finished the book a couple of weekends ago, and my o my. unfortunatly now is not the good time, but here is one point that adds a whole different layer, i was talking about the book to afriend of mine, and he said the 'shepherd boy?' i was like yeah, he was like, or another story of jesus.

so since i had a different look to the book, which i'll discuss later, thought of just bringing this in for now, and see in which other forms does the characters form/play/ create meanings? and the underlying message coelho is trying to send.

Senora   

^^^ That's interesting? Can't say i thought of Jesus though....

A close friend and I compared thoughts on the book yesterday, and regrettably icon_razz.gif she didnt find the book as exceptional as i have.

But i thought abt the ending over again, and i recall my curiosity over why Santiago had not converted to Islam, or at least found interest in it? He had wanted to marry a muslim girl, why hadn't she professed the necessity to convert one b4 marriage?.....

what other moments in the story had you questioned?

juba   

a VERY good book, probably the most touching i have read in months!

The Observer

i never thought to compare jesus to the Santiago, exactly what is similiar?

Classique

good questions! i found the ending of the story just PERFECT and so expected! i believe the message is your personal treasure lies right under your nose! The treasure being buried in the church gives further evidence of the theme of religion in this book. i think its trying to say that religion permeates everything and God is the soul of the world! how deep and philisophical :eek:

Fiance'

another great question i was wondering about aswell. i believe it was because of Santiagos reawakening to his own religion?

:confused: but i had a feeling aswell that Santiago was not thinking about converting.

a question for you folks is, do any of you believe that everything has a soul like the wind and the sun?? why or why not?

Havent read the Alchemist yet still waiting for it coming through the post. But have read other books of his ,Im reading The pilgrimage now.

In three of his books he does put quotes from the Bible as mentioned. And he projects most of the important teachings of religion - to be kind to people, just, mercy, adoration, rigor in religion or what you beleive in. qualities which lie in Chrisitanity and Islam. He projects the idea of a perfect world where people can change for a purpose and appreciate the way and nature God has created the world and its beauty. Appreciation of the small things in life which we take for granted.

well, the story of Issah(A.S.) is thathe was a shpherd boy, or so that is what i heard. but it is similar to his story, in a sense of we are all humans working our way to fulfil our chi. And so was what Issa's life.

I mean the good thing about all religions, is that all the prophets were Human just like us, yes they were the chosen ones, but it is one of the greatest signs of the almighty, that they were human, who were pious and knowledgable to an extent than us now. Yet still, the religion challenges us to be knowledgable, and question and seek the answers of the world. If the quran did not speak of this, then it would have been a useless quest in being a muslim.

so you see, we are all living a journey, and just the issue of santiago being a muslim or not, i think paulo is working on something else here. you see religions are a form of comformity and security and confinement, they are made like governments per se, cause for now i can't remember the word i wanted to say. You see it is an evolution of man that all these religion show us. Islam started with Zabur, Torat, Injil and Quran. All under the same fundamental ideology, yet changed by man'sgreediness of power. The message Mussa (A.S) brought to the people wasbelieve in one god, Allah, and so did Issa(A.S) and Muhamad(S.A.W), and non of them said they were the son of god or anything like that. But it was not understood by the people of the period, due to the issue of knowledge, and so it was thought of being impossible. and ontop of it, man always thought high of himself from other creatures. And so it was those people in those period that created the division of religions and sectors, towards their own benefit, and chose and said and inforced the stories, which until today are believed to be.

So all am saying, we all believe in one god, and you could call god anything you want, bbut it is the issue of soul and listenning to your heart, for one is living should live amongst the living and not the dead. And yes, i believe everything has a soul, and that the universe is conspiring to my benefit and others, unfortunatly man has created his own damnation that it becomes even more challenging now. And also there is that issue of good and evil, these were stories and myths, but they do exist. but thats a discussion for another time.

o, by the way, i read the alchemist in a one day, and so interms of the complete relevance and breakdown, i'll have to read it again, to get and catch the messages paulo was trying to say, instead of the obvious stuff.

Xoogsade   

I would like to thank Classique for her recommendation of The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I read both of them soon after and found both books interesting. Spent three hours on the Alchemist and eight hours on Wuthering Heights.

I couldn't find "Adrift in Soho" by Colin Wilson and is out of print in my area. Amazon.com has some used ones and I will try ordering online Once I get settled. I also bought beloved by Toni but didn't get to it just yet. School has come back in full force so it will have to wait for a while.

Anyway, if someone wants to read "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte, without buying the book, and they have access to internet, They can visit www.literature.org, click on Authors, then On Emily Bronte, And they will see the Only book listed for her as "Wuthering Heights". Her sisters are there too LOL.

Or simply click on

http://www.literature.org/authors/bronte-emily/wuthering-heights/

As for my comments on the books, I liked both of them. Very nice read. Even my Yankee co-worker which read the Alchemist after I gave it to him was happy after he read it and told me that he had hard time reading fiction books before, but the Alchemist was totally different and had in it something he could relate to. Strangely, We were talking about the book few minutes ago after I showed up for work before checking here and seeing the dedication.

Tata! take Care everyone :D

I read this book and another by the same author in quick succession a couple of years ago. Nothing will make me repeat the experience or fork out money for another P.C book. I was left wondering what the fuss was all about. I nearly shook the book hoping something I had missed would fall out and reveal itself. One of the books was more agonising than the other; I gave up on it close to the end. I still own both books-in pristine condition yet unloved. I should sell them.

NGONGE   

Like many others, it didn’t take me long to read this story. I’ve already alluded to my reaction to the book in our earlier discussion but don’t mind repeating it here.

When I first started reading this book, I was impressed with the initial idea! Here was an author that was going to take me into a world of mysticism, mystery and adventure. I was looking forward to being taken in an unreal and exciting journey. However, five or six pages in, I started to get restless. This was not the great book that it promised to be. This author was PREACHING! His whole style was patronizing! But I persevered and decided to suffer the annoying tone in exchange for a great story!

The story, as the Nomads above already explained is about a boy who goes in search of his “personal legendâ€. THE END.

The writer is not very fond of digression when writing stories. He sounds like a pushy parent trying to force their offspring to realise their dreams (or personal legend). They would use a story, an anecdote or a situation to prove that they’re giving you the best advice possible. I sat there like an annoyed child hoping that there is a point to this “lecture†other than “realising one’s personal legendâ€.

Many people have written about this idea in a better and more interesting way. Even children’s tales such as Cinderella were more interesting. However, where Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and others were stories that didn’t take themselves seriously, one gets the impression that Paulo Coelho was very serious as he wrote this story!

Even the ending of the story was a total disappointment (at least pumpkin-riding Cinderella got her prince). Santiago on the other hand, learnt things? (There goes that patronising tone again).

When we were deciding to choose what book to discuss and somebody mentioned this book, I gave a short summary of what I thought. Having quickly scanned the book again, I’m still of the same idea. Paul Coelho had a thought about dreams and personal legends. He wasted two hundred pages attempting to tell us about this single idea! His characters were not believable enough and hastily constructed, his narration was not wholesome and his obsession with personal legends ruined the whole book. I got the impression that even as he finished writing this book; he still was not sure if he should keep it as a silly fable or expand on the philosophical and mystical themes! As it turned out, he did neither. He presented us with a half-cooked story and hoped that our imaginations will do the rest!

This is a book that I would only recommend to an eight-year-old. Any person older than that age and still unaware of dreams, personal legends and the rest of that mumbo jumbo should, frankly, be SHOT.