Sign in to follow this  
Farxaaan

I Like Xamaraawi Accent !!!

Azmaya,

Stop with the snide remarks. How many Rer Gedo, Rer Bari and Rer Xamar niman have you met to say "nimankoda waxbaa ka haleysan"?

About Xamari accent, it's too unbearably drawly for my liking. It's like these people have lost track of TIME. No urgency to get to the point. I can't recount how many times I lost patience with Xamari accented folks, sometimes bursting with "for God sakes, get to the friggin' point!" Other times when I know ahead of time I'm in for deep convo with thick Xamari accented individuals, I bring along a tape recorder to record and playback in slow motion. That's the only way I can keep about my wits and not lose it. Northerners are equally as bad. They're too curt hinting lack of mannerism. The delivery misses the mark horribly. The wrong words are used in the wrong setting. For example, using cuss words in friendly setting. Of course, most of this is stereotype and far from the truth.

All in all, both camps are aberration of the authentic Somali accent. Galgadud, Mudug and Kilika-5, collectively called central Somalia, speak the most normal, intelligible, eloquent, beautiful, sexiest and "proper" Somali by any fair standard.

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Azmaya:

there is a reason why Mr. Rudy thinks they are the best yeah. bye bye

Ditto !!

The Infalliable Rudy has spoken , and only i and Azmaya can get it ?! :D

Viva Mududg & Waqoye men . icon_razz.gif

Shakti   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

Azmaya,

Stop with the snide remarks. How many Rer Gedo, Rer Bari and Rer Xamar niman have you met to say "nimankoda waxbaa ka haleysan"?

About Xamari accent, it's too unbearably drawly for my liking. It's like these people have lost track of TIME. No urgency to get to the point. I can't recount how many times I lost patience with Xamari accented folks, sometimes bursting with "for God sakes, get to the friggin' point!" Other times when I know ahead of time I'm in for deep convo with thick Xamari accented individuals, I bring along a tape recorder to record and playback in slow motion. That's the only way I can keep about my wits and not lose it. Northerners are equally as bad. They're too curt hinting lack of mannerism. The delivery misses the mark horribly. The wrong words are used in the wrong setting. For example, using cuss words in friendly setting. Of course, most of this is stereotype and far from the truth.

All in all, both camps are aberration of the authentic Somali accent. Galgadud, Mudug and Kilika-5, collectively called central Somalia, speak the most normal, intelligible, eloquent, beautiful, sexiest and "proper" Somali by any fair standard.

loooool.. 1 can always count on sb mordant sense of humor !

Paragon   

'Gacalladeydaay! Damacbaa iga kaagalayoo adigeey indhuhu kugu doogsadeene; adigoon i diideyn dabci laabta! Adoon dadbin dhaayaha; sheeko jacayl ma wada daadeheynaa?' ;)

I rest my case.

RedSea   

^lol..I am sure Cambaro thinks that is a 'dee dee' of ree woqoyi as well.

I think my slang is the best,better than all,including reer xamar,reer whtever.Nothing can match.Sometimes our ree jaad can lose it,but that is not the way we talk.

Our accent is by far better and proper than the rest,the rich peoms/songs/geraar we have composed is an evidence of that.

Anyone dare challenge us with gabay.

Pujah   

^^don't get ahead of yourself hon the best gabays were composed by legends from central somalia.

Personaly, I can understand all dialects but when it comes to shukaansi they all sound ridiculous and nothing beats English

Ngonge, I never heard those words. Nobody that spoke like that could love me or live to love me if they spoke like that more than once. Mwahaha.

I imagine it's the sort of exchange heard when a Northern couple is arguing and the bloke in an effort to reconcile (but still hold his ground) would say. They tell it like is, those Northerners but it sure hurts to hear it.

Damn. Some of you are getting defensive and some of you offensive. Chill. Having said that, some of you need to keep talking(hint hint) smile.gif

It’s discouraging to see Somali people humiliating each other to this extent. You people should get over yourselves and embrace each others diversity instead of participating in this national mockery. Even obtuse creatures do not humiliate each other to this extent therefore it’s beyond my tolerant to see SOL members acting in such idiotic and juvenile etiquette. Someone should close this thread while it’s all comical

^Chill man, what's up with you!

Anyhow how many Somali accents are there? To the ignorant, who wouldn't able to tell! So here I come in to educate you!

First of all there is the common Somali, which is also called the Northern common Somali spoken by the vast majority of Somali as it is the standard or what we would call high Somali! The Northern common Somali splits into many other sub-dialect groups but they're all intelligible to one another!

However this might come to a surprise to you, there's no Southern Somali but there are other dialects which is spoken from Cadaale all the way to the Baraawe that langauge is Banadir(i), which is a dialect, it's not common Somali nor standard, we could classify it as a kind of slang!

However there are variations like the Asharaf Dialect, which is the heavy Xamari accent people were talking about, whilst after a few days people of Benadir Somali and the Northern common Somali can understand each other after a few days of contact it is quite harder to understand the Asharaf Somali accent for a Norther common Somali speaker and vice versa for a Asharaf Somali speaker!

Then there's the Af-May or MayMay, Somalis who speak the standard Somali wouldn't be able to understand at all nor would a Afmay person! The same goes for a Benadir Somali speaking person, who wouldn't be able to speak Af-May!

So this are the three major groups i.e. Northern common Somali which is the norm/standard and spoken by the vast majority of Somalis, it has many subbranches that are quite intelligible to each other! Then there's the Benadir Somali which is spoken from Cadaale to Baraawe including Mogadishu, in which after a few days of contact both speakers of Benadir Somali and Northern common Somali can communicate quite easily!

Then there's the Asharaf Somali, heavy Xamari accent/dialect which is not understood that easily! Last but not leastly there are the Af-May, which cannot be understood and vice versa Af-May speakers don't understand/speak Somali expect they have been exposed to other regions/scooling or mass communication such as the media!

However there are many other dialects but they're very small compared to the above mentioned large ones. There's also Garre, Tunni and other bantu languages that are spoken but they're a minority!

Personally I prefer reer Mudug accent, I believe it is the most correct Somali and the best!

Here's a taste of a

of a Xamaaraawi having difficulties with a Reer Mudug, enjoy I say!

Here's also another

, quite hillarious!

Viva reer Mudug accent and people, I say.

NGONGE   

^^^ I love the way you put your heart and soul into any and every topic. Mostly rubbish of course but one can't fault the effort. :D

It's all about the north and south. There is no such thing as central. Get with the program brother, we are generalising here.

ps

The first time someone from the south said 'fiiri' to me, I started whistling. :D

pps

Fix your signature, Xalimo ;)