Sign in to follow this  
Cowke

Weris Diriye Film Coming Soon. (Trailer)

you are preaching to the choir everybody here is anti-FGM so that point does not require a debate at all.

SPeak for yourself and as for other people, let them speak for themselves, do not put words on people's mouth and assume that everyone is 'anti-FGM' as you put it.

and as for the following:

she implies that a model is a actually desirable .. whereas i think she is just 1 rung below a prostitute.

If you are not attracted to women, thats your business. I'm not going to judge you but don't make excuses for yourself. Admit to yourself that you have a problem with women, only then can you seek help. YOu are a troubled young man with uncontrollable rants.

Tan saa waaye, maya, tan saa ma aha, maya tan waa prostitute is not going to help you deal with your problems with women.

For those of you that did watch the movie, you know this movie is more than just about FGM. This movie is an adaptation of Waris's book with the same title. Its about a young, nomadic girl who rose to stardom. It deals with various issues, from poverty to child slavery(her time in the uk with her aunt) to immigration to the world of fashion, romance and above all it deals with the painful memories of her stolen childhood, raised in nomadic life with a geeljire for a father and her ordeal with female genital mutilation and the near-death experience.

The movie offers something for everyone. I have seen better movies, which is why I believe the movie was half decent.

And 'blessed", sad day to be a woman eh?

PS: Geelka, dont allow yourself to drift away again.

Jacpher   

CH: Ina-adeer dadku isku caqli iyo fikir ma ah. You ain't doing justice to those beautiful women when you list their names next to Ayan. The likes of Iman & Waris should not be listed next to that ugly cow. Iman did much more for Somalia than Geeljire even thought of.

Geeljire is just bitter hypocritical confused young man. Glance the politics section and he's all over the place when it comes to the endless violence back home.

nuune   

Provide sewing machines to the women who carry out the practice(as was suggested), but women who carry out the practice didn't like the idea of sewing machines, but they welcomed it, illeen qof kasta takhasuskiisa ayuu rabaa inuu ku shaqeeyo, they didn't give up the practice they carry out daily, the sewing machines gave them more name and reliability, good service providers, xaafadaha ayaad waxaad ka maqli heblaayo ayaa fiican oo heesato harqaan(sewing machine)ee aan u kaxeeno gabadheena si loo soo gudo!

I think even if you provide a camera to those women who carry out the practice so they can give up, they will use its electronic parts for their own provision and service and will attract more customers.

nuune   

Stable Somalia government, only in there a rule that prohibts the practice could be applied, and punishment be in place, even if that were to be achieved, underground movements will appear who will carry out the practice, and the price for the service will be astronomical.

What do you think is the solution?

Why almost every one is jumping on geeljire? he is entitled to his own opinions and no one should judge him.Jeez,Qoormuu forumka sidaa noqday? Why call geeljire a confused,bitter young man(personal attack) when what he did was simply air his views? PEOPLE never forget that ther is something called "freedom of speech".You have no right what so ever to silence him and i think may be you should get a life instead of trying to attack a cyber person who doesnt know you from adam.

Geeljire,Dont listen to these kind of people.

Haatu,

I can’t hung Ayeeyo ciro leh! But I would like Ayeeyo to sit and watch a documentary of a “mutilated” pregnant woman from conception on: I would tell them to pay extra attention to the deadly infections, debilitating backaches, the scarring, the repeated cutting on the flesh to give way to the baby. Oh I’m a hypocrite! In college I wouldn’t allow my professor in women’s studies use this term. I wrote countless papers, engaged in countless heated debates, shamed my classmates arguing that this term was invented by white feminists to diminish the work African women are already doing to abolish this practice. Lets just say it hurt my pride to sit through those gruesome documentaries of little girls ages of seven and younger wailing, begging and begging not to be cut through a mouthful of blood while old women and their own mothers hold them down with all their force.

Nuune,

Education. The solutions is to inform, educate, speak against as loudly as possible. Also, we need our men to take a stance. It is not enough to say “Oh I don’t support it” and watch on the sideline. It’s about getting rid of ancient beliefs about “purity.” It’s about drawing a line as a father and saying No this practice in your household.

nuune   

Nuune,

Education. The solutions is to inform, educate, speak against as loudly as possible. Also, we need our men to take a stance. It is not enough to say “Oh I don’t support it” and watch on the sideline. It’s about getting rid of ancient beliefs about “purity.” It’s about drawing a line as a father and saying No this practice in your household.

Agreed, the problem with Soomaalida is that we want the messenger and the message to be compatible, enough to go together, hand in hand, ummadaha kale aad baan uga duwanahay when it comes to listening a message, we concentrate on the messenger, and expect the message to agree with the messenger, and that is why we found many messengers carrying out this subject to be coming from the modelling industry, or similar, they are not series about the message they are carrying or delivering, that is why the compatibility issue arises, and that is why you have many people against the models carrying out the message, personally, they are not fit for the job, it is true, they can deliver the message to western audiance and generate huge trafic, but 100% message failure is guaranteed towards the very people the message was originally intended for.

What is the SOLUTION?

Originally posted by nuune:

Stable Somalia government, only in there a rule that prohibts the practice could be applied, and punishment be in place,
even if that were to be achieved
, underground movements will appear who will carry out the practice, and the price for the service will be astronomical.

What do you think is the solution?

I dont think this practice will disappear any time soon.It is a sick practice,I heard most woman who undergone such practice in uu dareemaha ka dhimanayo oo inaad saaran tahay iyo inkale ayanba kala ogeyn,but i am not sure if it is true.what is disturbing more is the fact that in most cases it is the mother who insists on the practice rather than the father.

Haatu   

CH, Turn around if you must, but make sure the rope fastened :D

Before the war, Ururka Haweenka Soomaaliyeed were carrying out this kind of work. but it takes time.

Ps: good movie.

chubacka   

Was this not out ages ago? I remember saying ages ago how I cnt stand this woman and had read her poor excuse of a book and would never see her c*ap film. :rolleyes:

Oh well there you again. I am feeling generous. smile.gif

Blessed   

I didn't mind the books, it wasn't bad at all..

Nuune,

That's not MY suggestion but an actual project and one of their many endeavours since the 80s.. I was just highlighting that you need to go to the root, reach out to everyone concerned and speak their language- if you are serious about eradicating FGM.

C&H

Lets put GJs arguements aside. Weris has no influece over Somalis and these issues need to be addressed at the grassroots, Fatima didn't even have her facts about FGM straight - how could she be a spokes person for it? And you're being harsh on the men - I know many that are outspoken against it and they are not all young men raised in the west, Somalis were debating for decades.. Most of the pressure and promotion came and still come from women..

Lazy,

I've never had a 'sad to be a woman day'...

Polanyi   

Originally posted by Jacphar:

CH: Ina-adeer dadku isku caqli iyo fikir ma ah. You ain't doing justice to those beautiful women when you list their names next to Ayan. The likes of Iman & Waris should not be listed next to that ugly cow. Iman did much more for Somalia than Geeljire even thought of.

Geeljire is just bitter hypocritical confused young man. Glance the politics section and he's all over the place when it comes to the endless violence back home.

The only person who is being a hypocrite is you. You have to hide behind Lazie's skirt and even start praising topless models- only because you despise the brother( who is a grown and married man btw) for the position he takes on the Somali issue. I didn't think you could get so pathetic.

C&H

Lets put GJs arguements aside. Weris has no influece over Somalis and these issues need to be addressed at the grassroots, Fatima didn't even have her facts about FGM straight - how could she be a spokes person for it? And you're being harsh on the men - I know many that are outspoken against it and they are not all young men raised in the west, Somalis were debating for decades.. Most of the pressure and promotion came and still come from women..

Abaayo, all I'm saying is Werris(influential or not)can write about her experiences, no? Growing up in that time and gudniin in the extreme way doesnt need creativity. It happened period! So now, maybe she wont reach the "grassroots" as you put because she is a model and went against dhaqan iyo diin. Fahmay. My point is even if she reads those who are in the West, it increases awareness, NO?

My other point is people often think that this practice is commonly back home and that those of us in the West, it's a thing of bygone era. WRONG! Parents are still taking their girls home and committing this horrible act. So the more people who speak against it, the better I think.

Which brings me to the most important point: Who can speak against it? Anyone, specially those who experienced it. So Fatima, Warris, Yasmin, Iman and Ayan might not be ROLE MODELS in our community BUT you and I can't certainly discourage them from speaking out agaisnt something they went through. Ok. Fatima was a grown lady. She came here young, yes. But she is certainly at the age where she had part of her childhood back home where girls go through this sort of thing. Wether she is knowledgeable or not is irrelavant. As long as she went through it, or her sister, cousin, mother,friend, niece went through it she has a right to speak about it.

I NEVER said MEN are NOT allowed to speak against it. In fact(as I stated above)the support of Somali men is very significant. However, most of them tend to agree that it is not healthy and leave it at that. Further discussions or focus on the issue makes them often nervous and thats when accusations fly. Ex. gaalo raac maa tahay, dhaqanki baa la nacay, why must you embarrass your people, etc. I would like them to NOT only speak but take action.