Sign in to follow this  
Cowke

Weris Diriye Film Coming Soon. (Trailer)

Malika I agree this issue must be debated. marka let me respond to a few points.

ladies you are being a bit hypocritical here aren't you ?

I'll address a few issues.

1- " Don't Judge "

this is a naive reaction .. judging is human nature we all do it every second of every day we judge others and we are judged by others by how we present ourselves, our manners, speech, way of dress, expression of ideas.

right this moment you are judging me based on my posts .. I might not like it but .. that is the trade off for airing my views in PUBLIC

if you make a fool of yourself in public you will be judged whether you like it or not. now what you do in private is between you and your creator.

this woman appears naked on film .. that gives the right to judge her morals I'm old fashioned that way :D

I'll propose a challenge to prove my point .. if anyone of you think he/she does not judge ... I will bring up a post of yours here on SOL where you did judge another SOLEr, a public figure who was the topic of discussion , etc.

anyone up to it ?

2- " The message vs the messenger "

The messenger has an a affect on the message he/she is trying to impart.

ayoub made an excellent point here.

no doubt you are aware that the people who still practice FGM .. believe that it prevents or inhibits promiscuity ... if this is the audience that the film is supposed to reach ... do you really think the best messenger is (as 2+2=5 put it) a loose woman. she is exactly what they are afraid their daughters might become.

the reason i object to the messenger is because she is being given this false legitmacy and being built up as a role model for young girls to look up to.

to prove my point look at Lazy.G post

Originally posted by LayZie G.:

Geeljire, the truth is you cant date a model, why else are you bitter about her nakedness?

she implies that a model is a actually desirable .. whereas i think she is just 1 rung below a prostitute.

confused, impressionable young girls like Lazy.G will also get confused.

3- "men cannot understand the impact of XYZ"

this is the old "walk a mile in my shoes" this is a ridiculously high bar to set dont you think ?

otherwise if we follow this to its logical conclusion no social issue can be discussed or dealt with.

today you say "men cannot understand the impact of FGM"

tomorrow it is "no woman who has not undergone FGM can possibly understand what it feels like"

apply this to evey issue e.g "if you have not been raped, you cannot speak on behalf of rape victims "

and the other big problem with this idea is ... contrary to what you think in families that still practice FGM the men do wield a lot of influence .. you can convince the man that this practice is backward .. it will help the cause .. but just saying "men cant understand" works against you.

and just to reiterate so that my point doesn't get lost in a sea of words, you are preaching to the choir everybody here is anti-FGM so that point does not require a debate at all.

There is nothing wrong in campaigning to eradicate the FGM practice altogether. However, judging by the trailer, this has nothing to do with FGM campaign. This woman is still milking 'from nowhere to "stardom"' scenario again.

sheeko kale ay lacag ku helaan miyay waayeen horta ... naagtan dabadeeda banaanka dhigata si loo sawiro miyaad noo aamaanaysaan.

'model' iyo 'prostitute' maxay is dhamaan .. naagta prostituteka ah .. dabadeeda markiiba hal nin baa arka .. meesha naagta model-ka ah dadka oo dhan hal mar wada daawan karaan.

:eek: :eek: Such ugly outburst for what? Are you mad because she is a model or Somali or speaking about such Hideous practice of cutting off one's genitals? Would you rather that she didnt speak about an integral part of her childhood and upbringing? Horta maxey nimanka isku qalajiyaan when this practiced is pointed out for what it is?

Mideeda kale, to answer your question yes there is a world difference between Prostitution and modeling and you know it! So dont call a girl, specially a Somali sister a whore just because she chooses to wear less clothing. Thats between her and Allah Subxanahu watacaalaa.

Also, yes she has an impact on the issue and she should. Who better advocate against any ill practice other than the one who suffered through it?

Ayoub,

You have no point because you're stating that FGM doesnt work because the sole reason of this practice is to discourage promiscuity or sex itself. Then, how do you know she is promiscuous???

NGONGE   

^^ When you say 'less clothing', you mean none at all, right? :D

I think my Coke advert was the best post on this thread anyway.

Polanyi   

Why don't people say only god judge to marka Alshabab and Xisbul Islam.....( when the whole forum rips as if they were satan himself).............? :D

Polanyi   

Sarcasm noted. But why can't we judge this women? Who said we can't judge ppl so long as they are not killing for their views? Furthermore, who said only Allah can judge people who promote Modelling(really a private profession, isn't it?) :D

Blessed   

Originally posted by chocolate & honey:

Even if she wears none, sub-zero, is she not allowed to write about her life? That makes her open for personal insults?

Being in the public eye kinda makes one open for insults, that's why gossip magazines sell. Not that I agree with GeelJires bad mouthing BUT everyone celeberty bashes. It just comes with the fame package..

I'm not sure how effective Weris's campaign is since she's not respected enough by those who carry out the practice. I do know a wonderful woman who has devoted most of her lif publishing papers, carrying out research and sucessfully lobbying for a law on FGM in th UK. A few years back she ran a project where the ladies who carry out FGM were trained and given sweing machines so that they have an alternative source of income. I think people who have a connection with the people concerned tend to be more effective where Weris strikes me as a useless attention seeker, pretty much like our beloved B. :D

Originally posted by chocolate & honey:

quote:

sheeko kale ay lacag ku helaan miyay waayeen horta ... naagtan dabadeeda banaanka dhigata si loo sawiro miyaad noo aamaanaysaan.

'model' iyo 'prostitute' maxay is dhamaan .. naagta prostituteka ah .. dabadeeda markiiba hal nin baa arka .. meesha naagta model-ka ah dadka oo dhan hal mar wada daawan karaan.

:eek: :eek: Such ugly outburst for what? Are you mad because she is a model or Somali or speaking about such Hideous practice of cutting off one's genitals? Would you rather that she didnt speak about an integral part of her childhood and upbringing? Horta maxey nimanka isku qalajiyaan when this practiced is pointed out for what it is?

Mideeda kale, to answer your question yes there is a world difference between Prostitution and modeling and you know it! So dont call a girl, specially a Somali sister a whore just because she chooses to wear less clothing. Thats between her and Allah Subxanahu watacaalaa.

Also, yes she has an impact on the issue and she should. Who better advocate against any ill practice other than the one who suffered through it?

Ayoub,

You have no point because you're stating that FGM doesnt work because the sole reason of this practice is to discourage promiscuity or sex itself. Then, how do you know she is promiscuous???
have you read a word of what i've written ? serously even one xataa ?

first of all stop being defensive .. your making a strawman arguments ... every person who posted in this thread so far has expressed anti-FGM views including myself so why you insist that

Horta maxey nimanka isku qalajiyaan when this practiced is pointed out for what it is?

as if someone here is defending this pracice is beyond me. The FGM angle is not what im talking about here .. had you read any of my prevous posts you would know that.

you have either deliberately misunderstood every single point i made except the comparison of models and whores or you didnt get past that point.

and FYI Ayoub and myself implied the exact opposite of what you are insinuating.

ku noqo .. you mihgt reach a different conclusion

ayoub made an excellent point here.

no doubt you are aware that the people who still practice FGM .. believe that it prevents or inhibits promiscuity ... if this is the audience that the film is supposed to reach ... do you really think the best messenger is (as 2+2=5 put it) a loose woman. she is exactly what they are afraid their daughters might become.

^ Read agan plz.

Tuujiye   

Kibir badnidiina bajaq yaashiina!! lool..

we all know FGM is 100% wrong and no one should be practising that shiiidh anymore! laakiin as I read some of the post by the guys, I think they have a problem with messenger and not the message it self...

In Canada I know 8 somali models coming up..8 girls walaahi and almost all of them are really good girls...qaarkood jaamacad bee kasoo baxeen qaarna wili wee yaryihiin..This is a new profession that opened up for somali woman and is becoming very popular amongs our female youth. We could always debate how this is not cultral for us and is xaaraam, but we can never say someone who does Modeling is a prostitution.. Yes is what part of the business laakiin anaga ma wada judge gareyn karno...

Aniga laakiin waxaan kasoo horjeedaa habrahaan kusoo caan baxay dayac tarka ee dayactireen dadkooda...not all somalis practise FGM, maxee farta ugu fiiqeen somali dhan? Waris, Ayaan, Xawo, Yasmiin Warsame, ext..all have used that "FGM" thing to help career kooda! wax axsaan ah ee faleen ma jirto..you could say awareness bee sameeyeen, laakiin that’s not true. Everyone knew this!

Gheele lool waraa Model chick ma heli kartid ee qaraarka dhaaf!!! lool ilaahoo hana falin!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Bless,

Yes, people in the public eye are judged. But judged how? It one thing to say "subxanallah maxay saa isugu qaawisay? Ilaahay ha soo hanuuniyo" but it is another matter all together to literally compare her to a whore who sleeps with men for money. Worse yet, to say atleast a whore sleeps with one man at a time, making the second option sound a tad better :rolleyes:

Also, to say she is disconnected from the masses who practice FGM is naive. She is here in the West therefore, she is relevant specially when we have parents here who take their little daughters back home to mutilate them to keep up with tradition. Also, we need funding and bringing more awareness and stronger push generate funding.

Geeljire,

Yes I read BOTH your posts. First, you had a little outburst but tried to back out of it by pulling the old "Oh I'm not for FGM but I dislike how it's being depicted or who" card. Then you went and listed counterarguments for judging first(which I have no problem if it is done tastfully but sheekadu marka ay mareyso whore iyo wax daran, it is NOT a judgement but rather a personal attack), having problem with the messenger and men's ability to understand it is bad if we explain it enough.

I asked earlier why Somali men have such issues when THEIR women speak out about this practice(oh, WE dont support it but lets not speak about it). I asked because ANYtime a famous Somali woman speaks about it(Ayan, Waris, Fatima, Iman), they're slapped with labels(whore, gaalo raac, attention seekers) to diminish their influences.

:rolleyes:

AND NO Ayoub didnt imply the opposite. But you two can keep insisting :cool: