Sign in to follow this  
nervous-chic

Spirits and Somalis

"Somalis believe spirits reside within each individual. When the spirits become angry, illnesses such as fever, headache, dizziness and weakness can result. The cure involves a healing ceremony including reading from the Koran, eating special foods, and burning incense."

~is this refering to Wadaado? Is it really spirits?

"Mental health care also is a concept new to many Somalis. Traditionally, mental illness is believed to be caused by spirit possession or as a punishment from God. Spiritual healing is required for mental illness. Traditional Somalis viewed people as mentally healthy or mentally ill. They did not see a continuum between the two states."

~does anyone know what kind of spiritual healing this is referring to (I know there is the quran reading with the tasbix water...but what else)?

"There are several types of traditional healers in Somali culture. Spiritual healers use religious rituals for healing. General practitioners are skilled in cauterization, minor surgery, blood letting, bone setting, and the use of herbal medications.19 The traditional healers are wise men or women in the community who learned their skills from older family members. Healing techniques include applying a heated stick from certain trees to the skin. This is done for tuberculosis, hepatitis or diarrhea to stimulate the immune system. Herbs and prayer also are used for healing."

~Whats the blood letting? bone setting? What kind of herbal meds do we use besides xabadsowda and xulbad? (and what is xulbad really useful for..it stinks!)

Read more about this at: http://xpedio02.childrenshc.org/stellent/groups/public/@xcp/@web/@clinicsanddepts/documents/policyreferenceprocedure/web025020.asp

*What other traditional treatments/medicines were used in Somali? are they still practiced? any place I can go to get more info?

~Shukran

Khalaf   

Interesting.

I went to stay at the house of a friend in Ohio. And man, what I saw :eek:

His moms, something was wrong with her. And they brought two sheiks to read the Qu'ran. And mashaAllah I stayed to hear the Qu'ran recited, nothing is more great for the hearing then the recital. Midway, the older sheik brought out this damn huge dagger :eek: , I was like what the :eek: .

He started hitting her in the back, head with the dagger, and sticking the dagger in her back. I had never seen, I was freaking out. No joke, and he was throwing water on her. Just made me wonder is this haraam? Allah knows best.

sister, its good to find out on what type of healers they use in somali for mental, spirtual, ect illness, and also its even more important I think to know what our Nabi pbuh used to cure illness. I heard some but can't spell them, also honey is good for u. InshaAllah maybe others can share. Peace

WILDCAT   

^ I think some of the ways bushmen deal with mental health is not anymore backward than what is done on these shores... drugging someone until they are a zombie, addicted, and likely to commit suicide from withdrawal if they quit the medication... yes, that's the way, isn't it.

Hala kala saaro booranaha, saarka iyo kuwa kale.

What you witnessed Qalaf is that mother was possessed by jini. Was she screaming with a complete new, unrecognizable voice when she was hit with dagger?

"Somalis believe spirits reside within each individual. When the spirits become angry, illnesses such as fever, headache, dizziness and weakness can result. The cure involves a healing ceremony including reading from the Koran, eating special foods, and burning incense."

They are confusing about the spirit (ruux), naf (soul) and jini possessions (what they still called 'spirit'). Ruux or spirit never becomes angry, since it is part of the individual.

It is the malevolent jinis that possess humans, not spirit.

Khalaf   

^ I think some of the ways bushmen deal with mental health is not anymore backward than what is done on these shores... drugging someone until they are a zombie, addicted, and likely to commit suicide from withdrawal if they quit the medication... yes, that's the way, isn't it.

-Wildcat, I was relating what I saw. I never mentioned backwardness. It’s not my place to judge how people treat mental illness or who is right and wrong. To each his own.

What you witnessed Qalaf is that mother was possessed by jini. Was she screaming with a complete new, unrecognizable voice when she was hit with dagger?

-Brother what I saw was indeed strange. Imagine long knife used to strike someone in the back, head while the Qu’ran is recited in a mystical way(dikre?). And no she was not screaming just sitting there peacefully, yet rocking back and forth. Surtal Yasiin was recited over and over again. And other specific verses which I was told is used for those “possessed†or sick. Brother u believe one can be possessed by Jiin or devils? I heard it but I don’t buy it.

Nevertheless the subject matter is indeed interesting

My strong opinion is anything especially that which deals with spiritual healing that is not supported by the practices of our nabi Muhammad ibn Abdillah(pbuh) is useless. If it is Haraam Allah knows Best. I strongly oppose when it comes to the belief of being possessed by Jinn(perhaps true Allah knows best) and that a Holy man can cure it(absolutely sheirk) which I’ve seen some of our people believe. They call for “my sheikâ€. Human sickness has not changed and will not change since the time of Aden (pbuh) until the day of Judgment-the best medicine is to practice what Allah gives us especially in regards to the sickness of the soul. The Noble Qu’ran. There are many sayings of the Prophet (pbuh) on how to cure disease, we should seek knowledge from that source. For every disease there is medicine-and it’s only By the leave of Allah that one can be cured.

Peace

Jini dadka galo waa jiraa, wigaaygiis. Indhaheey aan ku arkay. Waliba masaajid ayee ahayd oo salaatul leyl oo saqda dhexe ayee ahayd oo Ramadaan lagu jiray. In middle of a recitation of a long suurad lagu jiro, he started yelling with a feminine voice. I first thought the voice was coming from upstairs, where the sisters were praying. But on a repeated yelling, I finally realized the voice was from the front row and belonged to a man!

That single rakaca, which was the second and last, took twenty to twenty five minutes to finish. Markii salaada laga baxay ayaa la qaaday, still yelling with a weird voice. Kor ayaa la geeye, jiniga ku jiray who was a 'woman' lala hadlay. Waxee rabtay iyo meeshee kasoo raacday sheegtay, saying she is 'in love with him.' :eek:

And that she will never leave him alone. The reason she was yelling when la tukanaaye she couldn't stand that particular suurada oo wey kululaaleynay, perhaps jinis know something we don't.

Sida looga tumo dadka depends on qofka, dhaqanka iyo dadka tumaayo. Dad far yareyda ama farta index ee ka xiraan markaas ayee tumaan. Kuwa dhiig diiq or dooro ayee ku shubaan qofka.

Recently in Soomaaliya, it was reported dadka jiniga qabo waxaa loogu saaraa a domesticated dhurwaa lasoo ijaarto ayaa la tusiyaa. Apparently those jinis did not like dhurwaa [or waraabe], and freak out upon seeing it.

mantra   

Originally posted by Khalaf:

Interesting.

I went to stay at the house of a friend in Ohio. And man, what I saw :eek:

His moms, something was wrong with her. And they brought two sheiks to read the Qu'ran. And mashaAllah I stayed to hear the Qu'ran recited, nothing is more great for the hearing then the recital. Midway, the older sheik brought out this damn huge dagger :eek: , I was like what the :eek: .

He started hitting her in the back, head with the dagger, and sticking the dagger in her back. I had never seen, I was freaking out. No joke, and he was throwing water on her. Just made me wonder is this haraam? Allah knows best.

hmm..gee lemme think..is stabbing someone haram or not?

whaddya think einstein?

so you stuck around for the entire exorcism did you? did this lady survive the beatings and stabbings? just out of sheer curiosity..

promise I wont call the cops

Khalaf   

^^^^just out of sheer curiosity why do u feel offended?

I just told of what i saw. And anything that is against the Qu'ran, Sunnah, and the way of rightous sahaba I don't believe in nor do I follow. If it is haraam or not, I believe I said Allah Knows best. Salaam

mantra   

^^^^just out of sheer curiosity why do u feel offended?

I just told of what i saw. And anything that is against the Qu'ran, Sunnah, and the way of rightous sahaba I don't believe in nor do I follow. If it is haraam or not, I believe I said Allah Knows best. Salaam

im sorry..seems we're speaking at cross-purposes..

was she or wasnt she STABBED?

Khalaf   

im sorry..seems we're speaking at cross-purposes.. was she or wasnt she STABBED?

:D:D . U make me laugh :D . Allow me to repeat my dear sister and sorry to disappoint u, but she was not stabbed but poked/hit like slapping someone in the back. ur funny :D . Peace

I notice somali women get possessed by the jinn a lot. There is always excorcism taking place at the local masjid I attend. Acuudubillah I always wondered why?

mantra   

quote:

im sorry..seems we're speaking at cross-purposes.. was she or wasnt she STABBED?

:D:D
. U make me laugh
:D
. Allow me to repeat my dear sister and sorry to disappoint u, but she was not stabbed but poked/hit like slapping someone in the back. ur funny
:D
. Peace
you might wanna edit your original post..

the phrase "sticking the dagger in her back" kinda makes one think of STABBINGS and other sick rituals..(I even thought of bloody orgies)

not being funny

Khalaf   

"you might wanna edit your original post..

the phrase "sticking the dagger in her back" kinda makes one think of STABBINGS and other sick rituals..(I even thought of bloody orgies)

not being funny"

-I c u read the de vinci code huh? mantra sis that is best as i could describe it, ill working on my writing next time cool. peace

mantra   

"you might wanna edit your original post..

not being funny"

-I c u read the de vinci code huh? mantra sis that is best as i could describe it, ill working on my writing next time cool. peace

one more thing..is she cured? :D

sorry..annoying is my middle name..and no I havent read that book..

I refused to read it simply because all the literate people roaming this earth have..

annoying rebel without a cause..

Khalaf   

one more thing..is she cured?

is this trick question sis? to say she was cured implies from the ritual? only Allah cures.

but last time i saw her she was in good health, and may Allah keep her in good health.

ps: its coo sis no need to appoligze. and the book is coo, not big reader but i dug it. peace