Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Baby Talk-The Stories of the Married Cult

Against my better judgement, I went to the local watering hole with relative of mine.When we are arrived and the usual pleasantries were exchanged with couple of gentlemen that were were already there..I proceeded to sit down while my relative (cousin) headed to the counter to get coffee.As customary, my cousin asked us if we would care for coffee even though it was apparent the two gentlemen got here just minutes before as they were still pouring sugar into their coffee. This exercise is repeated everytime new person showed up despite the clear indication we already had or still having coffee. In all, seven people including me and my cousin showed up.

As expected, we started conversing about how the week was. The usual talk about the weather (apparently Boston was warmer than Florida for the entire week), work, and other mundane things were brought up-suprisingly enough nothing about the latest news from Xamar. As we continue to talk, someone asked where Jamac, another regular was and if we would be joining us tonight. Someone else in rather triumphant voice replied that Jamac had first kid on Friday night and the mom and the kid are doing ok but Jamac is exhuasted from being up all night.

As one would expect, the conversation became about babies and how one is changed seeing the miracle of birth or holding your kid in your hands for the first time. We continue talking about babies for twenty minutes-I was silent for most part. As the time went, the conversation picked pace and stories of sleepless nights, sick babies, and "walac" wifes came pouring out. The patterns of sleeps, what lullabies to wisper into the babies' ear were throw into the mix.

This went on for another 20 minutes. I was hoping after 40 minutes, the baby stories would be exhuasted but then the conversation became about what products to use for baby care, the type of diapers, wipes, etc and how to avoid or treat rashes. After while, they started talking baby formulas and almost did theoritical comparative study about the benefits of baby formulas and that of the breast milk. This went for another 40 minutes.

After almost an hour and half, I hoped this would finally come to an end but alas, was I proven wrong. Issues about enrolling toddlers in preschool and how programs like headstart (those in US would know this)were brought up. The topic led to comparative analysis about how kids in America have better grasp or understanding of technology, reading or math than those in Somalia in the past (atleast they were fair enough not to compare kids in Somalia today and kids here). Praises were showered on the kids here, I guess someone forget to inform them or appropiately remind the opportunities kids in America have are vastly different than Somali kids. Everyone talked about how smart their kids are and how technology savvy they have became to the point that these kids know how to over-ride parental controls in the tv or the internet-I don't know how was helpful this is to their parenting.

I was listened to 2 hours and I finally decided I had enough. I got up and just walked away. It is good men take keen interest in their kids' life but to spend an entire 2 hours talking about baby stories was just mind-numbing and not at all fun.

As I was leaving, I heard something about tampons. I could only imagine what that conversation was about-God help us.

Juxa   

wrong qabiil, mise qabiil dadkoodu yaryihiin

i had same question for paragon, then waan ilaabay. the question being, is one noble even if their qabiil does not exceed 10kun qof

-Lily-   

^ :D

Poor Che, this is usually the case whenever I visit my cousins and all they talk about is babies, teething, immunizations, breathable cotton for sleeping, home made food versus bought and all kinds of things that are not in a childless persons vocabulary. You just sit there smiling and being busy with your tea thinking whatever happened to the people you were before you had kids? It’s scary and incredibly boring.

the beginning of the end of noble cushitic masculinity . :eek:

ps. don't you know how to change a conversation or start an argument about something entirely different when folks are getting on?

NGONE & SS... icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif @arooos...mesiry loves company miyaa, no comment on my Qabiil

Juxa...I abondon my Qabiil or for the matter all Somalis , maybe not all and their nobility or lack of thereof for her.

LoooooooL@Lily....I usually leave the adults and entertain the kids when I visit homes of my sisters and brothers. See Val is already convert.

Val-If you haven't been sentenced yet, run qofyahey :D

Cl :D:D

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Fabregas_Bruv:

ps. don't you know how to change a conversation or start an argument about something entirely different when folks are getting on?

Waa fulay dee :D

Che, too much Opera and Dr Phil for your boys :D

Paragon   

Originally posted by Juxa:

wrong qabiil, mise qabiil dadkoodu yaryihiin

i had same question for paragon, then waan ilaabay. the question being, is one noble even if their qabiil does not exceed 10kun qof

Juxa, nobility has no numbers. The smaller the clan the better. My clan is a sultanate which numbers alot. A pretty well run clique.

Teeda kale, babytalk is really for women, men shouldn't join such circles. Marriage should be about breeding and indoctrinating for men and not replace other important business.

The world is bigger and the plans are grander.

[edit]

Che, I am not as polite in crowds as you ninyow. My pretended interest can only last for 3 minutes, at which time I leave or tell them to stop being ...... Some of my friends know of my intolerance and sharp words marka they don't even think of it. My greetings are usually, ciyaalkii ma fiican yihiin? haa weey fiican yihiin. Maasha-Allah. Maca-salaamo.

Norf-they are not boys horta but I'm curious they do watch.

Paragon n Sheh..I gotta admit I let it go on more than it had to but two reasons for that one being this was the first meeting these people and two, I was flabbergasted seeing bunch Faraaxs talking in great length about babies and kids. As time dragged, I did try to interject and change the subject, I even brought up the issue of Al-Shabaab figuring it always gets rise of out of everybody. This was to no avail.

^^^

Girly-men is what you are describing lad.

I dont know these people you speak of, all my friends have children and we hardly ever talk about such matters. The most one would delve into would be, "oh my kid had a fever and I had to stay up" or "she talks well masha Allah, who won the game?"

Men usually avoid such things, my sisters now thats a different story..