Sign in to follow this  
Janna

ALexus v Lecturer

Janna   

Innocent ALexus decided to ask her lecturer to become her reference via email, which turned into war of words.

ALexus sends email:

Hello _____ (Lecturer)

I was in your tutorial class last year semester one. I sat in your tutorial classes with a minor attitude while you were racially offensive smile.gif . Remember me? I always wanted to ask you if you can be my positive referee. Will you be my referee on my resume?

Sincerely,

_________ (ALexus).

Lecturer sends email:

Dear _______ (ALexus)

You have a very interesting way of asking for a reference. I may have offended but I take exception to the idea that I was racially offending. Americans call it the elephant in the room - racism - something that to everyone is blindingly obvious but refuse to discuss because the mere mention creates the impression that those who mention it are responsible. Did you know that I married Muslim and sat on the Muslim?

Credit Co-operative of Australia board? Usually racists don't do that. Do you even know what race I am? I'll give you a hint 90% of us were murdered during World War II but we are not Jewish.

My job is to get students to discuss things - your job is to work and be objective (remove yourself from the subjective prejudices that you have [perhaps all white boys hate Muslims? Or that speaking politically incorrectly is more offensive than bombing, killing, police and

employment discrimination] and without those filters analyse and create a balanced [look at both sides] argument using cases).

How can I recommend you when it is clear I failed to get you to do that? I don't even know your marks or what you are trying to achieve? What can I say? - I failed and that's why she is the way she is? I need information and to speak to you.

By the way yesterday I found out my mother will die from cancer probably early this year and my girlfriend left (without us fighting) and I am shattered. Coming in doing the work (mountains of boring emails) suspending your feelings is professional and I think despite anyone's feelings to the contrary I try hard to do that.

I am happy to speak to you about it and the help I can offer in seeking employment. My office number is _____________.

Regards,

________ (Lecturer)

At this point, I regarded it. I fired back without wanting his reference and giving him a piece of my mind.

Dear ______ (Lecturer)

I am very well aware of your German hertiage. Saying you were 'racially offensive' was a mere joke gone wrong. I do sympathise with your personal story but you have to understand that in Islam it is a completely different situation, in Islam a non-Muslim man cannot have a matrimony with a Muslim woman simply because such a contract is not valid. I expected someone your age to have overcome the obstacles you face with your girlfriend, having said that I will quote a Hadith or a saying from the Holy Quran- "Those who are patient will forever be rewarded in paradise just like prophet Ayub was rewarded for having patience and perseverence". I am sorry about your mother and what you went through but to understand Islam you have to look at the big picture within the context of the religion and not to look at it from one dimension. I leave you with this, everyone in this world was created equally underone God and under one rule, we all have certain responsibilities to fulfil while we exist, I not questioning your credibility but I giving you a piece of my mind just like you did.

Regards,

_________ (ALexus)

At this point, I was willing to walk away without a reference with my head held up high. :D However it didn't end there. The reply below surprised me a great deal.

Dear _______ (ALexus)

Thank you for your email. I appreciate the time and thought that went into it but respectfully disagree on some points. In Australia a person being married is an act of law not religion. My best friend got married twice - once in front of an Iman and the second time in front of an authorized celebrant. Only on the second occasion was he legally married even though most in the Turkish community accepted he was married from an Islamic perspective. Most of my muslim friends ()including some fairly senior figures) accepted I was married. In any case marriages between practicing and non-practicing muslims have been going on for centuries and many were recognized especially in the Crim where my parents come from. People there were probably the descendants from Vikings that sailed down the rivers in Russia or around Europe and into the Black Sea (no one is sure but I know in Istanbul some of them became a specialized elite army or bodyguard unit called the Vangarian guard distinguished by their blond hair and generally tall and pale skin) but they later used German as the language of trade. Like many people in Australia or Singapore who aren't English but speak that language speaking German gave them an opportunity to economically politically and/or socially advance. Later on when the Russians began to exterminate those people Germany was the only place in Europe where my parents could run to before coming here. On the patience side you are right - I am often impatient but contra wise I can persevere. I admire your honesty and perseverance so now they we can get back to the matter/business at hand - when will you send me a resume so that I can prepare a great reference for you?

Regards,

__________ (Lecturer)

During the course of my study, this lecturer and I were not the best of friends however we managed to overcome our indifferences and bonded. I decide to send my resume, hoping for the best reference possible. I never thought I could crack him and have him as my reference, persistence sure does pay-off.

Email from ALexus to Lecturer:

Dear _______ (Lecturer)

Some very interesting historical information. Best to agree to disagree. I am applying for a position in "______________", resumes and other information need to be sent in by _______. Please do view my resume and inform me of your sincere opinion.

Thank you,

__________ (ALexus)

Gained a reference and challenged the most arrogant man alive. Pity he is not a believing soul. Has anyone from Somaliaonline faced a situation simpler to mine?

Wow, I never even speak to my lecturers, never mind ask them for references. I doubt I'd recognise any of them on the street.

Talking to teachers seems strange to me, you know, it's like communicating with aliens who have bad fashion sense.

Why don't you make up references like normal people. smile.gif

BOB   

Tell her that you are related to me, the baddest of the bad, the worst of worse and the meanest of the mean and she will succumb to your demands...that always works with my nephew's kindergarten teacher.

Good to know you are still with us Ms Lexus...i thought you were.......................never mind.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

ElPunto   

^I don't get it - if you want a positive reference you butter the person up. His hectoring tone is thus unsurprising. If I were you - I would not put him as a reference.

Shakti   

alexus i wish i had ur type of guts... In my case I don’t have the strength or the determination to handle any sort of confrontation with any1 (in the real world) …. The only strength I possess is to create plenty of ids (anywhere on the net) to interact, argue, and manipulate random strangers

i know, that’s a cowardly,lifeless act but someone has to be in this world, in order for another to be brave! oh i need to end this meanless life :(