Sign in to follow this  
GAAROODI

HAVE ANY OF YOU BEEN TO BRAZIL?

GAAROODI   

I really really wanna go to brazil and i have never been, just wanted to know wether any of you guys have been their?

Somali's tend to limit there minds to East Africa but you know there are plenty of other interesting places in the world.

Firstly, ive been to North America seeing that i grew up there its nothing new to me, ive been across Europe, Africa and the Gulf states.

I have never been to south america and my friends tell me it is one sweet place. Brazil,Columbia, Venezuala, Cuba and Porto Rico they say are the top places.

Ive never been to South East Asia, whats malaysia like and Thailand?

Any of you been?

Herer   

Originally posted by GAAROODI:

Ive never been to South East Asia, whats malaysia like and Thailand?

Any of you been?

Gaaroodi U better ask this Question to Somali Diasporas in Gulf espically those who lived in Saudia Arabia, Qatar and Kuwait in Late 70's and 80's.

FatB   

^with price tags!

thailand is great a must go place is Mushroom Mountain, in Koh Phangan - ask for a shake and spend the rest of the day seeing purple penguines... and you cant say not to go go bars...

Juxa   

waad danbeysaan kuligiin, just ask the SOL ladies they have done around the world trips.

wiilasha maruun bey soo baraarugaan tut tut tut

Haven't been to Brazil yet, but like Torres, it's on my list for early next year I'A. Along with some other S.A countries.

I'm going to Malaysia next Month, haduu Alla idmo, but I can tell you about Thailand.

Thailand was great. I had a fantastic time there...the food is to die for, the people are very used to foreigners and are friendly although not as friendly as neighbouring countries and the tourism infrastructure is well and truly developed. Bangkok is a gorgeous, steamy and bustling city, with a really sleazy feel in some parts. I didn't get prepositioned but the guys in my group were approached all the time for all sorts of things ranging from drugs to ping-pong shows (no, there is no actual ping-pong played at these shows)to God knows what else. So if you are male, you gotta take it in stride. Don't be taken in by the gorgeous Thai senoritas, especially if they are sporting an Adam's Apple.

The accomodation is wide-ranging, from $10 a night for a bug-infested closet in Khao San Road to $50+ a night for a gorgeous, classy room in a boutique hotel in Sukhumvit area (I opted for the latter) and everything in-between. All the activities you want to partake in can be arranged through travel agents and tour operators at a relatively cheap price.

The shopping is out of this world, although it's not as cheap as Vietnam or as unique as Laos. I went mad the last few days of my trip and bought a whole new wordrobe from Zara and Mango (yup, they also have all the lovely shops we have in the UK). But, and this is a big but, it can be pricey.

Transportation is easy, cheap and plentiful. Taxis, tuktuks, motorcycles, bikes, trains and buses. Taxis are best during the day as they are air-conditioned and about the same price as a tuk tuk if you are going around the city. Tuktuks are great for a wild whizz around the popular night destinations. Motos are good for very short hops. I got one to my hotel the first night I got to Bangkok but it was only a couple of yards. I couldn't find the damn hotel and I was really tired of my backpack, so I asked some oranged-jacketed guys congregating around the tip of the Soi (lane) I needed if they knew the location of the hotel. After a fruitless bout of trying to speak to each other in sign-language, we came to an agreement and I got a ride for myself and one for my backpack for the last few yards. The best 20Baht I ever spent!

A mask is always helpful when taking tuktuks and motos as the traffic exhaust and pollutions clogs up the city. Trains and buses are best for long-haul trips down to the islands or up to the north. The Thai sleeper train is extremely comfy. I was shocked at how comfy. I shared a second-class cabin with another girl and around 9pm, the train workers came around and set up the beds for us, bringing with them clean packaged linen, a little blanket and pillow. Each cabin divided into an upper cot and a lower one, with little curtains for privacy. Each carriage was locked at 10.30pm and reopened at 5am. I slept like a log that night, walaahi I never slept so well before in my life! Something about the comfy bedding and the rocking motion of the train. Of course there were a few occasions where the train jerked like mad and then came to a screeching halt but that just added to the adventure. I was happy, no delirious!, to be thrown around in my little cot. We arrived the next morning, fresh and bright-eyed! I wish the UK had such trains!

Islands like Phukhet and Ko Samui among others, are totally gorgeous but utterly exposed and exploited. Too many flappy, pale holiday-makers soaking up the sun and drinking till their faces fall off. Good for snorkeling, diving and the like though.

Northern Thailand has more adventurous activities. I went to Chiang Mai and it was really nice. Quieter and more villagy compared to Bangkok. Here you can partake in highland tribe treks, elephant riding and training, cooking and cycling and visiting the numerous temples around the city. Not to mention the great Night Market and Food Court. I bought a few sarongs and sandals for less than $20 and I still felt cheated, although I haggled as hard as I could! That's the beauty and fun of Asian markets, I guess.

All in all, Thailand is well developed, absolutely beautiful and caters to every taste. I loved it. I'm sure you will too if you go, I'A. Whatever you want to do, you will be able to do it there.

As I was planning to write something about my travels at the behest of a couple of SOLERS, you may consider this my first report! Cambodia will be next, I'A (don't worry, I will open a thread for that one, I'A).

Some photos:

4323_77386503526_677893526_1789245_47771

The Floating Market in Bangkok.

n677893526_1704913_345924.jpg

An impromptu water parade at Khao San Road, Bangkok.

n677893526_1704899_4818343.jpg

Cruising along the canals of Bangkok, with Wat Pho temple in the distance.

n677893526_1704945_4353084.jpg

Monks praying at Doi Suthep Temple, Chiang Mai

n677893526_1705022_3090766.jpg

Rong Khun Temple, also known as the White Temple, in Chiang Rai, Thailand.

Ashkiro   

Friends of mine that visited Thailand, had a unpleasant experience, but their trip was short and perhaps that is why. I really want to go to Malaysia, im in love with the people and i can see myself living there. Haven't been to Brazil,but want to do South American tour I'A, after Africa, and Middle East. Insha-Allah.