Sign in to follow this  
MZanzi

Fitness Freaks

^ I think she's a little too American for our sensibilities. But I like boot camp style anything so I'll look for her again. As long as she doesn't mind my swearing at her in Somali.

I've reintroduced carbs again but nowhere near what I used to consume blindly. I read the Atkins book some weeks ago and then surfed obsessively about carbs and what they do, insulin, resistance etc. I've experiemented on myself lol and found what works best for me.

I think I'm seeing the exercise results faster because of the lower carb intake but more so the more controlled insulin response. And I've hardly exercised.

Get rid of carbs that you don't really enjoy, remove fruits that are high sugar and replace them with veg that have similar nutritonal benefits. Stop juicing fruit. Eat berries, nuts.

Replace the carbs with FAT. Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Butter. It is difficult to over-consume these because fat makes you queasy AND satiates you. Weird at first but all these are necessary and beneficial. Forget vegetable oil, sunflower oil etc- all these also encourage cellulite to develop. I EAT extra virgin coconut oil, it is delicious and has almost as many benefits as black seed oil. Buy organic, extra virgin oils for full benefit.

Focus more on inches rather than weight, expecially if you have little to lose. The weight may not budge but your proportions will.

ElPunto   

^Walle a new definition for freak has been arrived at now ~ one who eats coconut oil and declares it delicious. :D

I thought all this nonsense about carbs, this diet and that diet was debunked. But it keeps reappearing. I guess it must work for some people.

I think she's a little too American for our sensibilities. But I like boot camp style anything so I'll look for her again. As long as she doesn't mind my swearing at her in Somali.

"Little too American"? Whats that supposed to mean?
:rolleyes:
:D

I've reintroduced carbs again but nowhere near what I used to consume blindly. I read the Atkins book some weeks ago and then surfed obsessively about carbs and what they do, insulin, resistance etc. I've experiemented on myself lol and found what works best for me.

Should I invest in the Atkins' book or just get info from the net?

Get rid of carbs that you don't really enjoy, remove fruits that are high sugar and replace them with veg that have similar nutritonal benefits. Stop juicing fruit. Eat berries, nuts.

I dont consume lots of fruit. I love veggies. But I eat whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, brown rice etc. Should I drop them? I cant eat chicken alone! I dont ever drink juice or soda.

Focus more on inches rather than weight, expecially if you have little to lose. The weight may not budge but your proportions will.

What's that Fufu?!

ElPunto, organic extra virgin coconut oil is not like the cr@p you normally find in supermarkets and people's homes- that stuff stinks and has been processed. What I eat is delicate, subtle and delicious.

C&H, the book is useful in that he explains what he thinks is the answer. Research shows that people on low carb diets eat lower calories as a result of the nature of the foods- hence they lose weight. Also, the reduction in insulin spikes etc reduces the carb craving trap so you eat less as a result. Whatever it may be, it works like a charm.

I'm not low-carbing anymore- but have learned to eat differently for the long term- very little wheat, no carbs for dinner, no added sugar and more veggies than before. Also picking up rye, maize, barley as complex carbs for breakfast and lunch.

The internet is enough for you to learn about all this.

C&H, drop the carbs from dinner. Have lots of greens. Also, what do you eat for breakfast? On non- workout days, you can eat a low carb breakfast. You will see results.

MZanzi   

Sheh, Keto diet is a low carb diet You run a diet consisting of lower than 50 grams of carbs for 12-14 straight days..

You have to keep them below 50 grams to enter what is called ketosis after about 10 days, ketosis means your body starts to eat on stored fat for energy. In this diet, you will be taking in high protein and high amounts of fats, in forms you wouldn’t see in most diets, but they are all carb free..

After about 14 days, you get a cheat day where you take in about 200 grams of carbs on that day, preferrably around bedtime..

Then each week, same day you will have a high carb day eating the same way..

ElPunto   

^Nin murqo waweyn soo ma tahiid? I mean you've reached the promised land as far as skinnies go. What is with all the continued dieting?

From Wikipedia:

The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet primarily used to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children. The diet mimics aspects of starvation by forcing the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates.

Sheh - good luck to you. I don't know how you keep that up when faced with Somali get togethers which feature either bariis or baasto.

On the whole diet thing - you need to find a happy medium and stick to it. I think that if you're constantly trying new things or futzing with various aspects of your diet - then you may issues that a diet, any diet, won't solve.

Elpunto, the last Somali get-together I went to had not a single grain of rice or pasta. Ask the other SOL-ers lol.

I would encourage anyone in the West to reduce their carb intake as they probably consume a lot of hidden sugar and other carbs in processed foods. A low carb diet is not for me, I tried it for two weeks, it works but as I did not have weight of significance to lose, it served as a wean-off processed foods and a detox. Lower carbs than I have been eating from now on.

C&H, drop the carbs from dinner. Have lots of greens. Also, what do you eat for breakfast? On non- workout days, you can eat a low carb breakfast. You will see results.

Wait am confused about carbs in the sense that veggies have carbs. For example, a chicken salad will have carbs, no?

This is my menu for the week:

Breakfast:

Maple and Brown sugar oatmeal(has less than 1gram of sugar, 7grams of proten and 6grams of fiber but 29 grams of carbs) with a glass of 1% milk. Coffee with sweetner.

Lunch: Lean cuisine or brown rice with chicken and lots of veggies.

Dinner: whole wheat past with chicken and loads of veggies or an omlett with a piece of whole wheat toast.

I love banana as a dessert but I limit it to one.

Iam consuming more carbs than protein at this rate. I only drink protein shakes when I'm working out hard.

Yes, veggies have carbs, to varying degrees. Green and leafy are best if you want to eat lowest carbs from veggies. Stay clear of potato, sweet potato, squash in the evening.

Does that maple oatmeal have a sweetner in it? No way it can have 1 gram sugar otherwise. The milk will also have carbs. Add that to your calc.

Lean cuisine waa maxey?

How are you cooking the chicken?

You need more fat. Add oily fish to your meals. You can eat this at dinner too. If it's canned, get the ones in oil not tomato sauce.

Do you snack? You could do with a couple of other instances of food consumption- to rev up the metabolism. Not banana though.

Does that maple oatmeal have a sweetner in it? No way it can have 1 gram sugar otherwise. The milk will also have carbs. Add that to your calc.

Yeah, it has sweetners.

Lean cuisine waa maxey?

How are you cooking the chicken?

I bake it or cook it with Pam Olive Oil.

You need more fat. Add oily fish to your meals. You can eat this at dinner too. If it's canned, get the ones in oil not tomato sauce.

I am adding nuts to my daily intake. I eat walnuts everyday with plain yogurt.

Do you snack? You could do with a couple of other instances of food consumption- to rev up the metabolism. Not banana though.

I dont snack. I tend to want to overeat sugary snacks or chocolate.

Snacks don't have to be junk food. The yoghurt is yet more carbs.

You're on a low fat eating plan. Don't reduce your carb intake. You have to do one or the other.

You were curious about low carb eating; is it do with weight loss or something else? You can't stick with how you eat and incorporate my tips. You will become sick or your metabolism will slow down. It's either lower carb or lower fat.