Sign in to follow this  
Khalaf

Hey Muslim Women Imam says you can MARRY your non-Muslim Lover

Khalaf   

Whose this dude? Never heard of him. Two who here agrees with him that a muslim woman can marry a non-muslim? Don't be shy to say, if u do so, lets discuss. will be back inshallah to comment, gotta run now.

Imam Khaleel Mohammed's defense of inter-faith marriage

(Note: This defense uses the example of a Muslim woman marrying a Christian man, but the principles apply to marrying any non-Muslim man.)

"The verse that is traditionally used by imams to prohibit an inter-religious marriage is Qur'an 5:5, which states: 'This day, all innately good things are lawful for you... Lawful to you are the chaste women from among those who have been given the Book before you...' Traditional imams contend that since women are mentioned, and men are not, then it must be understood that the marriage of Muslim women with non-Muslim men is forbidden.

This, however, is problematic. For the Qur'an is addressed, because of the custom of the time, to men. It is for this reason that the Qur'an says, for example, "And when you divorce your wives..." or "During the nights of fasting [Ramadan] you may have sex with your wives..." What do I mean by the custom of the time? In the tribal context, the woman, once married, accepted the husband as master. He, in turn, accepted the religion of his tribal chief.

Given that reality, a whole host of issues arose for Muslim scholars -- issues that made them oppose inter-religious marriages for women. One issue was, whereas Muslims honor the non-Muslim prophets, followers of the other two monotheistic religions do not honor Muhammad, and that would put the Muslim woman in the terrible position of having her prophet disrespected. Another issue was that most Christians see Jesus as God, and for a Muslim to attribute divinity to a human in unthinkable. Then, too, there was the problem of the children from such a marriage, who would presumably be brought up in the religion of the male spouse.

But remember that all of these 'issues' assume the woman must take the faith of her non-Muslim husband, and that is clearly not the case in your relationship. You live in a different time and a different place.

To be sure, most Muslims would argue that the Qur'an is true for all time and all places. If we go by that logic, then we must acknowledge that the Qur'an is still sympathetic to your dream of marrying a Christian man. Even though he is a Christian, the Qur'an does not hold that against him. For while mentioning that there are Christians who take Jesus as God, Islam's main document calls this 'kufr' (disbelief/ingratitude) rather than 'shirk' (polytheism). It's a significant distinction because, in another verse, the Qur'an also states that Christians who do good deeds have the right to enter heaven. Christian creedal beliefs are the same for both male and female followers of Christianity, so how can the Qur'an allow marriage to the Christian woman but not to the Christian man?

The evidence indicates that the main hang-up is the problem I emphasized above -- that the religion of the male spouse becomes dominant (as also evidenced in the Book of Ruth in the Hebrew Bible). In our day, since Qur'anic Islam (as opposed to the Islam of the male jurists) must acknowledge the radical notion that women are equals of men, that women have legal rights, and that those rights include placing conditions on the marriage (what you and I would term a 'pre-nuptial agreement'), then an inter-faith marriage can take place on condition that neither spouse will be forcibly converted to the other's religion. As long as that condition is respected, you and she have my blessing.

On the question of children, certainly there will be some religious confusion. But as a Muslim scholar, I can tell you that the Qur'an advocates the use of the heart and mind in forming opinions. If both parents are faithful to their interpretations of the Creator's will, then the children will make informed decisions when they come of age.

I would be happy to officiate at the ceremony depending on my availability. You may reach me through

Dr. Khaleel Mohammed studied Sharia at Muhammad bin Saud University in Riyadh (Sunni) and the Zeinabiyya in Damascus (Shia). He holds a Ph.D. in Islamic law from McGill University.

Ms DD   

You will find 'scholar' to put the halaal stamp on the haraam.

I recall narrations from the time of the prophet (saw) where the husbands of wives became christians therefore no longer stayed married. If i recall correctly, the wife of the prophet (saw) and the daughter of Abu sufyan was one of them?.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Ms Dhucdhuc & Dheylo:

You will find 'scholar' to put the halaal stamp on the haraam.

I recall narrations from the time of the prophet (saw) where the husbands of wives became christians therefore no longer stayed married. If i recall correctly, the wife of the prophet (saw) and the daughter of Abu sufyan was one of them?.

Its the story of Umm Habiba, daughter of Abu Sufyan who migrated to Abyssinia with her husband only to find that he leaves the deen and converts to Christianity. She chose the hire road and divorced him and as a result was rewarded for her patience and preservance- as bride of the prophet (salallahu caliyhe wasilm).

Kaalaya sheeko aroos kama dhaashiin miyaa?

The whole forum is inundated with threads about kusbands, wives, relationships,marriage,etc. What's about the end of summer that got everyone excited?

BOB   

^^^soon these so-called scholars will say we can marry a hindu or buddhist Ladies...

by the way this is what the Qur'an says about marrying a non-ahlu Al-Kitab and a muslim woman marrying a non-muslim.

""You shall not marry Mushrik women (idolatresses or who ascribe God's attributes to others as ascribe partners of Him) unless they embrace the Faith (Islam). A believing slave woman is better than a Mushrik woman although she may please you. Nor shall you wed (your women to Mushrik men unless they embrace Faith (Islam). A believing slave is better than a Mushrik, although he may please you. These invite you to Fire but Allah calls you by His will to Paradise and to forgiveness. He makes plain His revelations to mankind so that they may be mindful." (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:221)

May Allah s.w guide us all through the righteous path Insha Allah.

PS. Caano Geel...it's good to enlighten each other with these kind of informative topics.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Hey Muslim Women Imam says you can MARRY your non-Muslim Lover

Yariisoow, afkaaga needs to be bleached, waxa aad ku hadleysid majecleysan, "you can marry your non muslim lover" you are speaking to us as muslim women as thought we are *********oyin who keep non muslim lovers and now we are allowed to make it halal, hooraay. (you need to edit your title ASAP)

Originally posted by *BOB:

May Allah s.w guide us all through the righteous path Insha Allah.

Amiin, akh!

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

Khalaf, regardless, what business of yours is it any way?

What do you mean? As a Muslim, it's encouraged to gain knowledge about the deen and discuss it with the Ummah. I don't get it akh, why shouldn't he care? :confused:

Originally posted by LayZieGirl:

quote:Hey Muslim Women Imam says you can MARRY your non-Muslim Lover

Yariisoow, afkaaga needs to be bleached, waxa aad ku hadleysid majecleysan, "you can marry your non muslim lover" you are speaking to us as muslim women as thought we are *********oyin who keep non muslim lovers and now we are allowed to make it halal, hooraay. (you need to edit your title ASAP)
Ukhti, you're taking it the wrong way. Calm down, it's Ramadan yaa gain some composure. Accudubillah!

Very interesting article akhi.

Originally posted by Ms Dhucdhuc & Dheylo:

CG

Maxaa u diidey inuu Khalaf lahaado an opinion?

Its not a matter of my sanction to khary's opinion, but whether there is a subject to bestow such opinion. How does the free choice of 2 adults regarding how to spend the rest of *their* lives warrant the noses of unaffected bystanders?

Originally posted by Bob:

PS. Caano Geel...it's good to enlighten each other with these kind of informative topics.

Its not enlightenment, but at best its just gossip and at worst its malicious. I've seen the fall out from the dhag-dheerada before and would never wish it on any one. So it still begs the question, when were we made the custodians of morality and what business do we have in other peoples relationships

Khalaf   

^^^Too predictable Caano as always when topics such as these are raised. "Who are the custodians of morality" "what bidness do u have in other ppls relationships"? Sxb give it a rest with old liberal lines, did anyone here bring or care about what and who ppl are with? Nah, see Islam is our deen our morality, and Islam is personal to us as Muslims, and this is what gets our attentions is not what ppl do with their lives dont give hoot on that, but as sister D&D the scholar ku sheegs making the haram halal and reinterpreting the deen to confuse the Muslims. Two there are many Muslims that don't know their deen, wondering why a man can marry woman of book, and women can't thats unfair! This is a common thought. But the rules of the Quran at the end of the day no matter any lecturing, will matter to those of us who want to practice deenul islam and care about what Allah decreed, and I don’t think any practicing muslim would want to be with a non-muslim men or woman, because islam is a way of life that will play large role in marriage.

Tho I am not surprised by your response, i am surprised at miss lazy bone, yareey wa ku sidee? What rock you been living under all these years? There are Muslim women with non-muslims lovers. Duh. Ahh pay back. ;) The title goes with what this Imam is telling saying you can marry "your dream Christian man" he makes it sound wonderful, reminds of the verse of shaydan to mislead others beauitifing the haram......but my sister am proud u resent that notion.

Mumin'ah ur new to SOL, many of us know kinda know each other and each other styles, marka everything wa iska shaa shax, we all cool even tho we disagree. And welcome my sister.