Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

About the quality of Somalia Online Forum

Paragon   

Kind Request: This is a questions and Answers topic. If possible, please kindly asnwer my questions, thank you.

--

Marwooyin iyo Mudanayaal (Ladies and Gentlemen), Yar iyo Weynba (Young and OLd),

Since most of the users of this forum are students (university, college and high school) and professionals, what have we done to uphold the quality of SOL forum? I regard the users of SOL forums the best young Somali minds that had ever gathered in the internet so far.

So, Nomads - individually, I'd like to ask these questions:

Question 1: Do all of us think of what we write when starting a topic or posting a reply?

Question 2: If there were students that learn from the wisdom of the words we write (in SOL), do we think our words contain any useful information that can benefit them (student)?

Question 3: About chitchats, do our words in regards to general talk contain anything beneficial to any reader that browses SOL, or does our chitchat serve any purpose?

Question 4: When we start a topic what is our intention? Are we after learning from others' opinions or just to seek popularity of some kind?

PS: I say 'we' because some of us -including me- post replies without thinking twice.

Question 1: Do all of us think of what we write when starting a topic or posting a reply?

no i dont really think...i just write whatever drops into my mind and my fingers type faster than i think....and once i have written it, i dont re-read it and edit it, which is why my style of writing is that of some-one sitting with u talking rather than some educated dribble.

but on Islamic issues, course i have to think!

Question 2: If there were students that learn from the wisdom of the words we write (in SOL), do we think our words contain any useful information that can benefit them (student)?

only when i talk about Islam, all ma other writing is just my opinion not meant for educational purpose not even for entertainment, im just bored and feel like practising my typing skills

Question 3: About chitchats, do our words in regards to general talk contain anything beneficial to any reader that browses SOL, or does our chitchat serve any purpose?

yea, when i chitchat i think it serves a purpose. say i had a bad experience with a guy, i qossip so others can learn from my mistakes...and course, i learn from theirs!

Question 4: When we start a topic what is our intention? Are we after learning from others' opinions or just to seek popularity of some kind?

neither....when i start a topic i dont care who reads it or why....i just write what im feeling , seeing or going through...and i rarely start topic....my life is too boring!

OG_Girl   

A.Not most of times.

A. I admit that I learned a lot of good things from SOL writers.

A.Not mine, most of time I just play around and joke .

A. I like to see how others think and like to push them and push them to see their limits... just for fun and to kill time redface.gif

Salam

NGONGE   

I have a feeling that this thread will run and run!

Question one:

I don't always think of what I write when I'm posting a new topic or replying to a topic. I say not always because it really depends on the topic and the time I have. Yes, I seem to be on this site all the time but it usually is quick glances in between doing some work or when I have some free time at home. I expect that most people suffer from this time constraint problem.

Question Two:

Again, this depends on the students and the "benefits" they derive from reading this forum. In an academic sense, I doubt there are many benefits to be had on this site (I say this in the nicest possible way). However, if we're talking about universal benefits, then yes, this site does have it's positive points. Of course nothing is perfect and every rose has its thorns. But on the whole, I personally find this site educational(and I'm not even a student anymore).

Question Three:

I'm assuming that not many people on this site know much about each other in real life. I personally don't think I know anyone on this site. These "pointless" chats and tedious conversations allow you to know about the people you're interacting with. They give you the chance to know that you're actually talking to another living, breathing and normal human beings (some not so normal!). They allow like minded people to get in touch with each other, stay in touch and maybe even meet. Sometimes, they even contain the first seeds of some future serious discussions. In their own subtle way, they are of great benefit to everyone( I think).

Question Four

I wonder who'll be the first to reply with the words " Yes, J, I post all my topics for the sole reason of seeking popularity"! icon_razz.gif

In most similar web sites, there is usually someone who would start a topic with the title " Who's the best regular here?". Go ahead and type it in Google, see how many "serious" forums have such threads in them! Luckily enough, I don't think we've had one of those on this site and I hope we don't. As for my intentions when posting new topics, I usually do so to have my views confirmed, learn something new or simply amuse myself (and the one or two bored souls who are stuck in offices like mine and are looking for ways to relive the formality and monotony of their average working days).

Question Five:

I know, I know, there was no question five! Still, I think since we're all in a caring, sharing mood today we might as well say why do we visit this web site?

I'm sure there are a few people who are lurking in the background and have never attempted to post on this site yet, it would be nice if they took this opportunity to tell us why do they visit this site! Is it for amusement, education or escapism?

Maybe none of the above! :rolleyes:

Som@li   

hi all

Not most of the times, when i am posting a reply i sometimes may give something against my veiws, so all my comments may not be what i personally believe.

Yes, other than chitchats, many times pple here depate or talk abt some useful information. plus there are educated pple which can help students with Qs.

MAy be they should add chitchat section, cuz it is everywhere. And i don't think they are beneficial at all redface.gifredface.gif .

Learning from others opinions and i also post things that may be informative,jokes,Qs abt social issues. but for sure there are some users seeking popularity,and i don't know for wat reason?? :confused:

OG Moti   

I do think about it, sometimes I even take 20 min. of writing a message and read it twice and if doesn’t make sense to me, I delete it and re-fresh my mind and come another day to write. Sometimes when I reply; I read the topic and come back to reply after a couple of days.. We have to be fair to the poster and don’t be quick to judge.

Yes, actually i learned a lot from some of our sol members even thou i am not student.. they share useful website addresses, and give many tips, i my self try to share what i got,

Yes, people get stressed, disappointed and sad in some cases, these people in the western world the answer would be to seek help of shrink, and pay loads of money just for someone to listen to u, in SOL it is free and most of the time u get great advices and the least thing you do. You release your stress and express your feelings.

Both;

1. Some seek attention, nothing wrong with that, to achieve your goals you must be known depending of the nature of the goal of course.

2. Some write it because they want to say something they believe in and want to express and see others' opinion on the subject matter (constructive debate),

3. Some others have time to waste and have nothing to do or achieve and they see people around them busy, so they create some sort of debate and try to drug everyone into it, so that the create “ collectively doing nothing society†– (pointless debate). I advice those to find a hobby, maybe design a website, or read a book. And come back share your experiences

Hope that answers your questions; actually this SOL is a great service which could be taken to another level, a much higher level, think like a business, lets say if you have a shop and you have products to sell, and never change your products or add new products, people will eventually fed up with what you got and you start losing.. my point is SOL has thousands of members, some are becoming lazy to right, cause I am guessing maybe they don’t see new stuff, Dear Jamaal consider that; of course after discussing with other admin(s) and try to add some new function to this one, or maybe change the look so that people will feel this site is developing and not static.. … Loads of love to all Somali people.. peace

Qac Qaac   

of course i think about everything i write... are u crazy... i am occountable for my words.. but some times joke around...

so this is what i am really think somali online is... somewhere we could benefit from each other.. though laughs, learning the differences personalites that we have here.. educational... and entertainment...

we don't want it to be like school format boring... but we want it to be some where u learn something from it... in an informal way...

i hope, i answered ur questions in a summarized way.

Jamaal these Questions were really something ta ponder upon and quite intriguing, i think the first lucky five Nomads who responded to these questions have said all the possible answers that the rest of us might have or i might have.

I think SOL is very very informative, interesting,organized,meaningful,expressive,rich,and is the faculty of talented and capable NOMADS..........

I love this site, i enjoy reading every ones posts or topics....aqoon iyo saaxiib tinimo walaal tinimeed baa ii korordha markasta aan imaado this site

Ps: how old is SOL?

asxantu

Mudanay! plz find my replies below your questions

Originally posted by J11:

Marwooyin iyo Mudanayaal (Ladies and Gentlemen), Yar iyo Weynba (Young and OLd),

Since most of the users of this forum are students (university, college and high school) and professionals, what have we done to uphold the quality of SOL forum? I regard the users of SOL forums the best young Somali minds that had ever gathered in the internet so far.

So, Nomads - individually, I'd like to ask these questions:

ans: usually, my ideas hit like a ton of bricks on my to work on the fwy! honestly, my mind seems to be the best at early in the morning... i aint claimed to be mind guru...i believe all humans have the same stuff..

nite, its like a basket case!!..lolol.. nite time its consumed by family matters!!

Question 2:
If there were students that learn from the wisdom of the words we write (in SOL), do we think our words contain any useful information that can benefit them (student)?

ans: i know i have learned alot from here! believe it or not, we all influence each other...u guys remember when i came to this site!!!lolol, and if u believe that i was never banned...u can call me a liar!! lol.. what ones says in cyber space, is your signature...! the truth is u cant please everyone, but u cant try to be a person who holds his ground!! meaning, dont waste my time!!!
:(

Question 3:
About chitchats, do our words in regards to general talk contain anything beneficial to any reader that browses SOL, or does our chitchat serve any purpose?

ans: hmm.. this is the most difficult one u asked bro!!its seems that we cant separate ourselves from qabil umbilical cords!! to me its ok to acknowledge who u r, but whippint it out everytime u wanna discuss stuff, whether is about our infamous connections to warlords or the website u is interacting through!! it just lowers ones point of view dramatically...!

Question 4:
When we start a topic what is our intention? Are we after learning from others' opinions or just to seek popularity of some kind?

ans: its gotta be something thats been rolling in your head and u wanna share it..!

PS: I say 'we' because some of us -including me- post replies without thinking twice.

ans: i bleed guilty too! after all we all human, right. but there is alway room for improvement!!

:D

Xarago   

J11 inkasto cimrigeyga ee SOL uu yahey mid gaban, hadana I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

Answer to Q1: No not all of us (infact majority) think twice before starting or replying to a thread.

Answer Q2: Are you serious about the 'wisdom of words' or are you pulling our leg? Infact students who seek wisdom should be discouraged from SOL or should come with a warning sign saying 'here lives the Baro family'

Answer to Q3: same answer as above, but on a serious note SOL is not X rated but however it does not qualify to be termed as intelectually nourishing.

Answer to Q4: I would have completely refuted that but the topics and some authors,like Nur, in the Islam section comes to mind. They are very benefitial and usefull however argumantative it is, at least you are learning something from two or more different sections. But, boy o boy, a big BUT again. All the praise SOL would have deserved in this category is dwarfed by the political section and its negative,biased and naked lies propoganda.

Well there you have it J11 if you wanted straight from the horse mouth, but if you want 'nacamleyn' read others.

dawoco   

lol xarago, would u care to mention some of the nacamleyaal? me is gadaal ka gaar and need names :D

But seriously speaking, the flow of intresting topics have become limited and the place just isn't the way it used to be. People no longer take the time out to post articles about things that might concern us all.

But then again, neither do i, so maybe it is better to not throw the first stone..

Hopefully the place will return to its former glory, and maybe even surpass it.

Viking   

I don't think am actually meant to answer these questions but i'll go ahead and do it.

Can't speak for others but i'd like to think that I do.

I like to think of discussion forums as something like tv, some things are entertaining, some annoying, some instructive, some informative, some repulsive etc.

Chitchat, according to the dictionary means SMALL TALK or GOSSIP. Chitchatting serves ONLY one purpose, wasting time.

Every person has their own motives and only that person and Allah SWT knows the truth. Sometimes one's intentions aren't important to the readers; someone can have noble motives but can be interpreted as being exibitionism, or vice versa.

Paragon   

^^^ Thanks for putting yourself through such troubles to answer my questions. Your efforts are appreciated! True say smile.gif

Now Nomads, those of you who contributed, thank you horta.

And don't stop there - lets hear it from other Nomads too.

Curly   

Well I know I put a lot of thought into whatever I’m writing, especially when people can quote you unfavourably, so I’ve learnt from my mistakes and keep it as politically correct as possible.

And before anyone mentions that being PC means I’m not free to express my views then, I’d like to say I don’t believe in freedom anyways.

I believe I’ve learnt quiet a bit from this website and I seriously believe and hope others will benefit from SOL too. I try to be informative whenever I post anything and I like to think other Nomads do so too.

I think some chitchats on SOL can be a bad thing because they can cause the exclusion of other Nomads, as you’ve seen of late. But some of course have benefits and bring about social cohesion, but obviously it has to be something everyone can identify with. So yes it does serve a purpose of such.

Well I think we’re all a little old for this whole popularity lark, and whenever I post I always think about writing something that is either close to my heart or something I know SOL nomads may benefit from. Because I wouldn’t want to waste our valuable cyber space on drabble that would most likely be forgotten about as fast as it was thought up!

I’d like to add one question, if I may!

What topic made you join SOL, and if it wasn't a topic what was it?

Paragon   

Warya-Dude, you wrote:

I usually come here to piss people off,

If you play it safe and exclude barred terms, you can successfully get away with it couple of times.

screw people's minds,

You can also do that but can you really? In SOL ;) I didn't think so. Nomads are very clever!

step on toes,

Not literally, I hope. It hurts you know?

argue

If you can build very good and informative arguments, we would love to read your arguments, encourage them and even support them. Yes, some of us will support you.

and joke around.

Oh yes! We have a category named: Jokes - or got jokes?

However, all that is besides the point my friend. Could you possibly answer the questions, please? If yes, I am happy, but if not, please don't go off-topic. Being in the topic saves many of us a valuable time.

Thank you for your kind co-operation.