Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Soomaali Galbeed's naming convention

Hadal heynta ugu weyn waa deegaanka Soomaali Galbeed maahmahaan. Waxaa la yaabay anagoo wada Soomaali ah inaan isticmaalno ereyo iyo magacyo kale ay ula baxeen deegaanadaas dad aan Soomaali ahayn. Sida 'Kilinka Shanaad,' sida Jijiga for Jigjiga, sida 'Dire Dawa' for Diridhabo (same way it is Baydhabo, which tells you it is a Soomaali word in its originality). Waxaaba ugu sii daran kuwa Soomaalideena ah haddana yiraahdo 'Soomaalida Itoobiya.' Yaxyax weyn ayaa ka qaadaa markaa maqlo kuwaas.

You wouldn't find Oromo right-wing extremists calling Adisababa its name. It is always Finfine for them.

The re-liberation of Soomaali Galbeed needs to start with its names. Haddaa isticmaaleyno magacyada kuwa heysto isticmaalaan marka waxee u dhigantaa inaan ogolnahay inay iyaga leeyihiin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is an excellent point.

Some are doing the changes by long term plan, but the worst part is the victims are the ones who implement it. These things become facts on ground in just one or two generations.

The sad part of it is that even teachers and government officials accept and use it faster than ordinary citizens.

galbeedi   

MMA, I and others are guilty of these plunder. Instead of Jigjiga, we say Jijiga. Diri Dhaba is another example. Somali Galbeed or Somali region is the right statement and we should start right away. 

17 hours ago, Old_Observer said:

That is an excellent point.

Some are doing the changes by long term plan, but the worst part is the victims are the ones who implement it. These things become facts on ground in just one or two generations.

The sad part of it is that even teachers and government officials accept and use it faster than ordinary citizens.

Yaa Tigrey, since Oromos supposedly usurped power and dethroned your dear leaders, you have been making loud rumbles, at times seemingly agreeing with Soomaaliweynimo.

14 hours ago, galbeedi said:

MMA, I and others are guilty of these plunder. Instead of Jigjiga, we say Jijiga. Diri Dhaba is another example. Somali Galbeed or Somali region is the right statement and we should start right away. 

Haa, waa inaa ka fiirsano, saaxiib. While in Islii in the past years, I used to correct some extended Reer Abti who hailed from Soomaali Galbeed. They innocuously used to say 'Itoobiya' this and that, even though some were even ONLF supporters. I used to tell them Soomaali Galbeed dhaha, sometimes getting funny faces at my corrections.

Khadafi   

Well said MMA.

Maakhiri:

According to the ONLF, the reason for having the divisive letter (O)-NLF is for  them not to be seen as irrdentist. A guy I had a discussion with who by the way is active in ONLF organisation explained  the issue to me from his perspective. His arguements were that it would be harder to be seen as a legitamate anti-colonial movement with the "Soomali-galbeed" label it was therefore important to have the colonial name for that region.. What the poor fellow and their leadership dont understand is that  every succsesfull liberation struggle had the full backing of the people they they intended to liberate. You dont liberate a pieace of land within the academical schools politics. You do it with military muscles and after after tha you seek international legitamacy.. With hard facts on the table (aka your military strength and controll) you will sway the public into your side.   

By the name,is it you who write your own history or is it the former colonial masters? What intention did the white man have when they named that region after clanname? Weaken the Somalis? Probably.! Then million dollar question that ONLF-leadership didnt ask themseleves is ofcours  if they really belive they can explain the whole irredentism -complex to non OG- somali clans? Do they really belive ordinary somalis who have gone through balaayo iyo qaxar   becouse of clan  will trust other nomadic somalis armed to teeth with a tribal  sounding name?. Xikmada waa shay muhiim. Gaalki Meles knew the weakness of Somalis and used the clan-card in that region. By creating intra-og rivalry  with Cabdi Iley and his stooges he weakended the support they had from the clan and made other somalis passive. A good example for Somalis should be Eritrea. The EPLF erased or minimized the religious, ethnic diffirences that existed Eritrea. Would the muslims of Eritrea supported in some way the EPLF if it had chosen "Eritrean Tigrayan People liberation front".

Labels are not important, but when your people are compromised of  nomads, and your national conciousness is low, the name means everything.

Been yaa lisku sheegin. Magac qabiil aan dhul soomaliyeed oo dadka oo dhan dagan ayaan magac qabiil ku xoreynaa waa xikmadla'aan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

Yaa Tigrey, since Oromos supposedly usurped power and dethroned your dear leaders, you have been making loud rumbles, at times seemingly agreeing with Soomaaliweynimo.

You think that?

No. In this case its almost universal truth but little noticed issue that you raised. Most of it is not even by plan. The colonizers cannot pronounce right and the locals then change their name to accommodate foreigners.

In the cases you raised its planned, I have no doubt.

Tallaabo   

I am also guilty of using the name "kililka 5aad" for the region but I never use Oromised names for our towns and villages. For me it is always Diridhaba, Harar, Mooyaale, Jinacsani, etc, written in af Soomaali of course. The Oromo invaders should be denied any legitimacy or opportunity to set roots in our land.