Sign in to follow this  
ADNAAN

Somali way of life...By Hemish Wilson

ADNAAN   

This program was produced by the BBC jointly with Hemish Wilson and is mainly about Somali cultural Heritage and struggles. Hemish is a Welsh freelance journalist and a photographer and also the son of a former British soldier who served in Somaliland in the 1940's.

In it, he talks about the values and richness of the Somali culture including Somali dance (I think it’s the zaylici), poems and traditional democracy in action (Heerbbegti) and the generosity of the nomads to their guest and many more aspects to the Somali culture.

He also travels through the miiga from zaylac to Berbera through Hargeisa. It's an opportunity to see the Somali culture first hand at its height of beauty, the scenery is breathtaking and it made me regret that I haven’t yet visited such spectacular places and beautiful people.

As he was the only European present when Somaliland reclaimed it sovereignty, he is being able to see the total destruction of what was then known as the north west of Somalia, and how Hargeisa was almost decimated to the ground by the Somali military. Hemish Wilson described the irony of how he fought and filmed a struggle in which the children and grandchildren of those whom his father was once amongst were spearheading (SNM).

Lastly but not least you can watch the last ever interview by the former Somaliland president M.I.Egal, may his soul rest in peace.

Enjoy it ;)

The Link

The Link 2

^^^salam brother; the link does not work for me;it took me to the site, but then i can't find the programm;

but i say a programme on of the channel 5, at 12.00 this morning that was by a somali british guy who for the first time went back to somaliland; it was well good; saw all the old ladies dancing, cooking at cafe's; it was a beautiful programm; made me look forward to my vist next year inshallah; the mountins of shik look like a sight for sore eyes;

salamah

ADNAAN   

http://www.tvsomalilandeurope.net/

Salaam sis, it’s on this website so in order to watch, first click on the blue writing where it says "ogeysiis ogeysiis dhamaan....." then scroll down the new page and click on the Somali writing where it says "Halkan ka dhageyso"at the bottom of that page.

Am sure you will love it,its very exciting.

jazmine make sure to go to the miiga and experience the real life with the geela and don't forget to take a camera to capture all excitement.

I was planning to go there too but then I have a lot of things to take care off and am broke at the same time ;) . Almost everyone I knew is going there this summer, so i hope u have a nice time sis...and i will be patiently waiting for my present. :D

^^found it bro; watched it for hour, i loved it; wow; somali freedoom of speech;

oh wow check out their hand movements; wonder if any of my family memebers are in there :D

thanks; an hour well spent; i even learn some new somali;

hey i look forward to next year for sure; but next year is so far away; my whole family went this week, so when they get back i'll post the pics, providing they remember to take some; smile.gif

reminde me closer to the time ur present, i'll get you a waaso (water bottle) and caano kaal (camel milk) ;)

so informative, so touching; subxanallah;

Fyr   

Originally posted by Jazmine:

but i say a programme on of the channel 5, at 12.00 this morning that was by a somali british guy who for the first time went back to somaliland;

What was name of the program?

i don't know, i woke up and only saw the last of it; it was a somali guy from shiffiled, who went there for the first time; he spoke only in english, and followed his family members around on nomad's land, they milked some camels, and a women (his uncle's wife singing to a child) and he fell of a the camel, and said it is because he is too fat, and he said the camel money is nasty!! loool; basicly he was a fish and chips in somaliland; for sure it was so funny; sorry ppl missed it, they did't advertise it/

hey going back to adnaan's link; the interview at the end of the programm, is reall informative, now i know what to say to people who less supportive of somaliland with solid information;

so anyone who doubts the right of self determination, or questions their independent sovereignty should watch it with an open mind;

peace

salamah

Qac Qaac   

great cadaan guy is showing us...about our heritage.. and how we should be divided more..is just another thing.. were the cadaan ppl divide more into peaces of africa... we should congratualte the guy.. for deviding us more.. wuuhiiii...

dawoco   

I kacay dhiigaa i kacay :D

Juxa, u wanna b informed now, do you? Sis b careful b4 ur head is bitten off, u knw my fighting spirit isn't upto scratch ;)

Adnaan, intresting topic bro,

it made me regret that I haven’t yet visited such spectacular places and beautiful people.

One childhood memory that has stayed with me in all these years is the scenery. I remember, outside the cities, beautiful exotic looking birds (the flying variety that is) and the sun coming up over our land. The image I have of Somalia isn't shaped by the people i've known but the things i've seen, which have made a lasting impression.

Sky   

White, self-indulgent man is boasting about how he was offered girls by these people and how conveniently their nose is flatter and mouth protruding so their knife won't cut their lips or nose off when eating meat. Lemme add how he sticks his oversized nose into Somali business. Damn it I thought it was forbidden for outsiders to take part with shirs and who the hell offers his daughter to a Gaal ?

Yep, yep, I love this programme! Cuz you know what they say, not: "Once you go black, you never go Back!" but: "If its White, you know its Right!" icon_razz.gif

ADNAAN   

I am surprised that some of you haven’t noticed the beauty of that culture but instead bragged about things we should have long learned to disagree on.

Dawoco, I envy you sis, for u have nice childhood memories to reflect upon smile.gif .

Sky you made me laugh “once you go black there is no coming bck†...... :D .

On a serious note,am afraid you have misunderstood a lot of it. In most parts the documentary Hemish was narrating from Richard Burton’s “First foot steps in the horn of Africa†in the1850’s. Burton was then disguised as an Arab sheikh and called him self El Hajji Abdullah and that was the main reason people asked him to settle among them and they were willing to offer their daughters. After all, people in that part of the horn were once part of the Ottoman Empire. But when they found out of his real identity, it was in Berbera where he lost one of his white companions and they almost killed him.

First foot steps of the horn of africa or the exploration of harar. Although this guy called us “savages†which were a widely preconceived Victorian myths that he had in mind, in his book he also described how he was struck by the bride of the soomaal and their hospitality, as well as there bloody and fearful tribal feuds.

“Mountains of the Moon†this movie was made about his discover of the Nile in Africa.

Jazmine, am glad you have found it informative, Egal (alaa yarhamu) summed it all up when he said “there is one belief that our brothers in the south share from the old lady in the market to the their highest men in office; which is, that s/land was a bonus given to them a long with them getting their independenceâ€. My self it was just the last number of months that I have really understood a lot and I have developed a strong passion for the Somaal culture and the S.land cause, hopefully I will carry on to read about it when i start the uni this year, for I will have plenty of time to read and ponder.

salam all; ^^adanna; you will be reading a lot, but i doubt you would have time to read lots of things outside your area study; unless your one of those people who pass with no effort; good luck; i myself started reading about it this year and the summer is stock up with reading; before then i wz (still sort of am) fish; who knew nothing about somaliland or somalia; but you know what they say; information makes you grow, knowldge makes you rich;

juxa sis depends on what you know already and your stand; how strong your view point is; but it sounds better coming from the mouth of someone who represents the people of the country; so i hoped you watched the interview; smile.gif

salamah

-------------------------------------------------

great cadaan guy is showing us...about our heritage.. and how we should be divided more..is just another thing.. were the cadaan ppl divide more into peaces of africa... we should congratualte the guy.. for deviding us more.. wuuhiiii...

-------------------------------------------------

You seem to be well acquainted with the white man's ways. Divide and rule is well tried method and has worked most of the times except in Vietnamn. The people were clever enough to refuse this north/south division so much so that they paid with their lives and wealth.

The white man has many tricks under his sleeve.