Sign in to follow this  
QANCIYE

Do Somalis in UK be slacking OFF or what?

QANCIYE   

Although I wasn't shocked but was bit dissapointed in seeing this. I guess those in North America do work hard after all ehh or should i say init

ONLY 12% do actually got a J.O.B whaaaaaat..Damn

African success in UK highlighted

Somalis in London

Most African immigrants live in London

African-born immigrants in Britain are doing better economically than many other migrants, a major new survey shows.

The report, by the Institute for Public Policy Research, however showed that only 12% of the Somalis living in Britain are employed compared to just over 81% of the South Africans, 73% of Zimbabweans and 61% of Nigerians.

The Born Abroad report showed that over half of Britain's population growth in recent years could be attributed to immigration.

South Africans and Kenyans top the list of African countries included.

Debate reignited

The study, based on the national census for the 10 years up to 2001, showed that the biggest increase in migrants from Africa during the period came from Somalia and Zimbabwe.

According to the report, new immigrants make up a larger proportion of the immigrant population than they did in 1994.

Forty-two percent of immigrants are based in London, which took almost half of the increase between 1991 and 2001.

The report also highlighted the need for policymakers to ensure that Britain makes the most of the benefits immigration brings, and tackles the related challenges efficiently and effectively.

However, it has also reignited the debate on immigration - with an increase of almost 2% in the number of foreign-born people living in Britain and without an indication of how many illegal immigrants there may be.

Source BBC

U be ruining my day or what?

The period studied covers 91-01; the Somalis had just fled civil war(predominantly). I'll cut them slack; not to mention many do the work/benefit jig and wouldn't admit to working. The SAs and their mainly white selves will not have faced the same struggle to assimilate, learn the language and get hired.

Damn, misery. :(

QANCIYE   

sxb sheherazade, i realize many were recent arrivals when survey was done but know that London has been to home for Somalis way back even b4 Somali civil war. I read about Somali seamen who lived there b4 none of us born.

Ehh

Sheh bro there is no excuse.i visited London like 2 yrs ago for 2 weeks. our brothers there are really busy with khat. If most of you have being to nairobi, london is more or less like eastleigh.The khat kiosks are open 24/7 but there is non but somalis in there.

if they re do that survey today it don't think the numbers will change much.like usual we are always victims.let us blame the white man.they don't want give us jobs and they put all of us on welfare.

the lazy man tool.

Folks,

Saxiib Qanciye, and the rest

When it comes not killing each other surely go to bottom of the class(Joke)!

Remember like the old spaghetti cowboy films - we got the good, bad and the ugly.

We have the honest, decent, and hardworking individuals coming out above head and shoulder any undertaking,and anthing they put their hands on, such a towering giants whatever their endavour.

We also got Majlis Mosquitoes, munching chat all the way, making noises, analaysing the chigsaw of world geopolitics,knowing all the cures, and ills of the community and wider world, perscriping medications left and right, but at the crack of the dawn - time is up - hitting the billow(Snoring). They are abundance in numbers.

We also got those rules the bending and bending the rules, criss-crossing any system in place, keeping an eye on (lacagta xanaadada shacabka), they easily populate the Majlis.

We also have the 50cent wannabes, rap,dance, and move just like him, want to sell from you they are little 50cents, shall I buy shall I not - matter of consideration.

We also have the Fish and Chips - pure british - children on the old community, expecting the newcomers should be enlighnted so quick or else they should they get lost.

We also have the newcomers, they encounter what they were not expecting, have the language barrier, culture barrier, just wait they will split on the above mentioned groups pretty soon.

So the anaology is people in large community becomes like the shape of the egg, narrow on the top large in the middle and narrowing again at the bottom.

That is my assumption prove me wrong otherwise - UK people, by the way I left london 97, I live small town on the west country, so if there is big change please peeps update me.

Thanks all -

Truth, how easy is it for a black man to get into the US army? Do they poke and prod and declare him physically fit/unfit. Reminds me of something they used to do way back when.

lol... sheh sorry to call you bro. I am not in the Army i am in the Marines and every brunch have there own little tradition so enlighten me.

Sheh are you that one sister i saw at the next office (Army)yesterday trying to enlist? Did they poked you lol......

QANCIYE   

Sheh is a SHE? wow. Never knew nonetheless u still got same respect and may I say sory in calling you dude when u are accually a Dudettee lol

juba   

i know alot of somali families( like in Minnesota, ohio, and England) still on welfare into the second generation!! If that isn't a bad case of the lazy i don't know what is! Lets be frank her most somalis don't make it far when it comes to a good stable job and income. I know the factors and issures but more determination to be independent would really help

12% is very low

The vast majority of soomaali britons actually don't work at all so I'm not surprised at the low employment we got although the survey was done 91-01 nevertheless it representes an accurate picture of the situation of somalis in london.

We're all on welfare not me personally but my relatives are.

Also the majority of somali men do work whether bus drivers or cappie but they live with their partner who on the other hand claims to be separated,divorced or enstranged to her husband and the men still comes every night and the children are born and reproduced although the female claims she ain't go no husband.

That's benefit fraud, the majority of somalis are criminals who want to milk the welfare system of this country get them all out of here.