Sign in to follow this  
Abdinuur

Why not...?

MD   

A great idea, Good points there malikah anyways i was just searching around on the net couple weeks ago and came across the ssna(somali student in north america) meeting being held at MN this year. They should've advertised it well not a lot of people know about this espeically people outside of the states. But lets see how this turns out then we can probably come up with something like "somali students Around the world" SSAW

P.S King this is the link http://www.mssu.net/News/somali_north_america.html

Abdinuur   

It should of held in Ohio...dang on it.. :(

Well, this is a bad time for me....cuz I'm going through a lot next weekend.

But please keep us posted for those of you who are going...like tell us what schools came, how everything went, and so on..

I'm sad..if you wanna know! :(

Xafsa   

If you can make it you should all come...They have somali students in MN hosting the somali students that are coming to the conference.

King---just click on the link that Hijabified sis put up it should give you all the info.

Kaafi---sad? why sad?

1luv

Adna   

salaam

Since i'm too lazy to read all that info, so flying still sill could u tell me where is it? and just let me know cuz ur sis is lazy reader. much love ,

MaLikah   

Seems like Ima be in town the weekend after :( .

I'd definitely love to hear how the event goes so whoeva is going, do take notes ;) .

Xafsa   

^^^ here in mnpls?...hope you enjoy our city sis!!

Asraa i'll hook you up with the info after I make a few calls.

1luv

Iffah   

Nafisa...I wish I was there too. Have fun for the both of us :D

Flying:

Yesterday there was this brother from the MSSU here and gave us a brief info about this upcoming conference in Minnesota. He said they'd even provide accommodations for us if we had no relatives there... (sisters would be taken in by a sister and brothers by a brother)...very nice.

Are you by any chance one of the kind people who volunteered help out?

I can't say the thought to come knocking at your door never crossed my mind ;)

Haneefah   

Flying, thanks sis but we'll give you a tour of our lovely city xitaa majirto miyaa...reer mpls waa la'idin ku khasaaray ee iga tag :D Seriously though, I'm looking forward to meet you girls in the event.

Ilhaam, so far I'm having a blast...so how about I bring you along next time ;)

usa,,ppl...have fun....wish i was there,

coming back to the UK, i think that the SSA, is a real good organisation, and yeah, hopefully we could expand it to join the other somali student orgs. around the world.

me, my fav events, are the Islamic talks and conferences that take place, specially in leister and birmingham (ooh and the brixton one was good)

Xafsa   

Nafisa--macaanto its a given that i would show you around my town!!! :D

Ilhaam--No I won't be hosting people...I'll be wroking the whole day and by the time i'm out the conference would be over.....but let me know when you get here both you and nafisa I would love to meet y'all....

Conference for Somali Students in North America

On August 16th and 17th, 2003, MSSU plans to welcome to Minnesota all Somali students from all states of the US and Canada. MSSU will make every effort to help all incoming students enjoy their trip to Minnesota and leave Minnesota with a positive outcome. We will provide housing to those who are incapable to find a place to stay during the conference or don’t have any friends or relatives in Minnesota to stay with. We will also make sure that students feel safe and secure in their new environment. MSSU will be playing as a host and facilitator of the conference and it is expecting from all Somali students of North America to contribute their ideas in order for us to have a splendid conference.

On the first day of the conference (Saturday), students will have the opportunity to get to know one another and give information about their colleges/universities and about the Somali community in their states. There will be guest speakers whose names and credentials will be released soon insha’allah and posted to the student website (www.mssu.net). On this day, MSSU will provide breakfast and lunch to all of the participants of the conference, but there will be a special dinner exclusively for the student guests who are coming from the other states and Canada. Discussion among students, comments, questions, and answers session will follow the Saturday’s lunch. At the dinner, Dr. Abdirahman Mohamed (a Somali physician), will give a special lecture, and also students will be given different proposed rough drafts of constitutions, which will be likely presented by the Somali students of different states of the US and Canada (some states are working on their proposals now). These proposals are for the prospective Somali Students of North America’s charter.

On Sunday, there will be a breakfast and lunch also exclusive for the student guests. On this day, the program will mainly be a continuation, ratification and finalization of the proposed charters. In this session, students will discuss the charters and give their opinions and feedbacks as to edit and improve to make one charter for Somali Students of North America. Since this is the first meeting of the students in North America, NO elections or nominations will be held. However, a committee will be set up to work towards another conference for elected representatives of states and provinces in which elections will take place. The second conference can be held anywhere in the US or Canada if the committee sees it is a fitting place for the conference. Additionally, elections and nominations will be organized by the committee. There should be a representative from each attending state of the US and Canada in this committee. The committee will be given an opportunity to discuss and exchange contact information in the last hour of the conference on Sunday, August 17th 2003. If you have any more questions about the conference, please contact us.

Contact information: Abdirizak Abdi, President of MSSU. E-mail address: Abdi0011@umn.edu or phone number: (612) 327-8746. MSSU Secretary, Safia Yasin at (651) 491-1002. You can also contact some of the board members. Abdi Ahmed at metkhadar@yahoo.com or (612) 721-6897 or Ali Bulhan at Alibulhan@yahoo.com, or (651) 335-2594.

With regards,

MSSU Board.