Sign in to follow this  
SOO MAAL

Back Home; 1.7 million people face starvation

Sayyid   

^^You're wrong sister waligaa malaga quusto illahay iyo ducada.

Muslims should pray for each other everytime because prayer cures.

We should pray that Allaah the exalted reliefs them from their pain, hunger and diseases they're suffering from.

They need rain that's why people should congregate to pray for rain back in the areas where is a lack of water.

Only Allaah can safe them no money or people in this world can prevent disaster from happening, its a test from Allaah the exalted and those who pass it will come through much tougher, stronger and grateful.

"Oh Allaah there is no other deity worthy of warship except you, Oh Allaah relief our muslim brethren from their burden, hunger and thirst! Oh Allaah give them guidance and what they desire in faith and life.Oh Allaah cure the elderly, the sick, woman and children who are suffering from hunger and disease. Oh Allaah give them a way out of their misery. Oh Allaah give them better livestock and cattle in exchange for their patience and the cattle their lost. Oh exalted Allaah provde them with food, shelter and medicine. Oh Allaah give us "better people" who are more righteous than the people who perished.

Oh Allaah lower the suffering of the people in those region and give them happy news of rain so that they might be grateful to you.

Oh Allaah except our du'a.

Gabbal   

If there are people who are interested in donating, there are various Somali NGO's that are helping and could use whatever you could give. One of those NGO's is called SADO and is providing very critical humanitarian need. Though their budget was not designed for this kind of work, they have decided to spend every single penny they own to save as much people as possibe in that region. There are others also working in various regions in the south. They should be commended.

Castro   

^ Provide the links saaxib. Some of us can't even get out of bed if the internet is down or Google is not working. :(

SOO MAAL   

Starving poor of Somalia now suffering thirst

By Jerome Taylor

Published: 17 February 2006

The impoverished people of Somalia are being forced to surviv e on three containers of water a day for drinking, cooking and washing, Oxfam has said.

Increasingly large numbers of people are dying from dehydration on 40-mile treks to fetch water in scorching temperatures of up to 40C.

"The situation will get worse unless swift action is taken," said Mohamed Elmi, Oxfam's regional programme manager. Somalia is one of the poorest African nations and campaigners are deeply concerned that the drought in the south of the country, which has already struck neighbouring Kenya, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Tanzania and Burundi, will hit the nation, disrupted by wars, particularly hard.

The price of containers used to transport water has rocketed to more than a day's wages for most Somalis, said Brendan Cox, an Oxfam spokesman . A water canister that used to cost at least 1p now costs 70p in a region where residents live on pennies a day.

The latest UN report on Somalia said 1.7 million people - 710,000 of them experiencing acute food shortages - needed food assistance of some kind in addition to the 410,000 refugees who depend on food aid.

Drought killing Somalis, report says

Last Updated Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:25:18 EST

CBC News

Water shortages in Somalia are so severe that people are trying to survive on just three glasses a day, Oxfam Canada says.

"People cannot survive on just three glasses of water a day when the temperature is hitting 40 degrees," said Mohamed Elmi, the aid agency's regional program manager.

A man and his child passes the carcass of a cow in an area hit by a severe drought. (AP photo)

There are reports of deaths from dehydration, Oxfam said in a release.

"The situation is as bad as I can remember," said Abdullahi Maalim Hussein, a Somali village elder who accompanied Oxfam officials on a recent trip to assess the situation.

"People are dying and children are drinking their own urine because there is simply no water available for them to drink," he said.

Workers are digging 10 metres into dry river beds before they hit the water table, and then have to pass up muddy water in buckets.

Some Somalis, usually women, have to walk for hours to find water.

Many cattle have died of starvation because there is no grass.

Oxfam said hundreds of thousands of people are at risk in the African country, while the United Nations said 1.7 million Somalis need help urgently.

FROM JAN. 18, 2006: Horn of Africa facing famine

The UN has estimated that 11 million people are at risk of food shortages resulting from the drought in Somalia and its neighbours, Kenya and Ethiopia.

Rains are not due until March or April.

-Lily-   

Walalayal, Allah dadkhan uma wayniin cunto, it is a test for all of you.

This is what I recomment:

* Pray , and never tire of prayer

* Give everything you can, forget the pathetic excuse of fraud, spend in Allah's cause and Allah will spend on you.

* Stop absolving yourselfs of responsibility by blaming war lords.

I know a lot of us already give money back home for our relatives but spare a thought for those who have no one to depend on.

Every one of us can search for NGOs or whatever other organisations are out there and give support to them. Try to actually contact ppl in the region to find out more of the situation. Try to raise awareness among other Somalis and encourage them to give.

It is not enough to feel helpless and enjoy 3 meals a day. I know our hands are small but they are still effective. Insha Allah I will do some research and share what I can find.

Originally posted by Bishaaro:

^ True, true..

All this will end one day. Home will be home again, back to the glorious days I'A, but it's very likely none of us will be around to see it. Yaa rabbi!

That just send a chill down my spine, very true we might not ever go back home simply coz none of us diasporo are willing to fight for our people and land.

Rahima.... We are helpless coz we choose to be. With choas and destruction comes an oppurtunity and as Somalis in the west we fail to sieze on that oppurtunity. There will be a light of end though...Lets not give up hope. The fact that it bothers this much is good sign...Maybe we can move on the next step and do something.

Do not Despair.I did some research and contacted the money transfer companies to see if any of them have set up some sort of an account for this drought.Amal Express has such an account at least here in the Uk and i did what i could there.I suggest we leave behind this sense of helplessness and help our brethren in this dire moments.The stories you hear are harrowing and as you can all see the world does not care,never did,never will.None even our Muslim brothers and sisters have forgotten us,so we have to depend on ourselves to get ourselves through this draought with the help and mercy of ALLAH SW.