Sign in to follow this  
Laba-X

Nomads, What were you deprived of?

Sayyid   

Originally girls were deprived from drinking tea because of popular myth that after girls consumption of tea they wouldn't be able to get up early next morning at 06:00 am to prepare food and breakfast and to clean the house. Instead of doing this and helping around the house the girl would get herself intoxicated with tea and therefore she would stay up til the late hours of the morning and because of sleep depriviation she would sleep til the next day and wake up around noon time like the current girls who have migrated from their place of orgin to adapt new culture and traditions.

Girls wouldn't be allowed to eat meat because men believed that meat had naturally male hormones and if a women eats to much of it she would eventually become a beast and threaten the authority of male dominance.

Ever heard of the widowed women who ate too much meat back in Somalia. She reportedly attacked the whole male population with her hard punches. A couple of men tried to knock her out but the fat beast was unstoppable.

The women eventually succeeded to enslave the male population to popular myth therefore somali men have a distant memory and fear of such things from reoccuring.

Even I sometimes dream of the indefeasible fat and angry woman who wants to beat up the entire male somali population.

Sayyid   

Originally by Bishaaro: Chicken. We hardly ate it in our household. Why Somalis hate Chicken so much? Now I'm free to eat it (Alhamdulilaah ) I go to KFC for breakfast sometimes, and I make my own saute'd chicken, basted chicken, stuffed chicken, sweet and sour chicken, chicken thighs, plump chicken breasts. Heck, I will even help slaughter the damn thing.

So, you must be really quite obese.

Nephissa   

^^ I knew someone would find the connection. Now you know why this last 75 pounds is taking forever to go.

Originally posted by Callypso:

Bishy, So I guess all the talk of KFC's
treatment of our feathered compatriots won't depress your appetite?

Pock, pock, pockpock..pooock. Not really. Guess one should never offer you a dinner date at KFC. :D

J.Lee   

^You scare me walee.

BTW, does anyone here have a clue as to why they are not allowed to have Tea

Well, another theory is that such a liquid when consumed tends to have an effect on a girl similar to what the early stage of puberty does to boys: causes-supposedly- an increase of Bartholin secretions or so I have heard. :D

Castro   

^ There's absolutely no evidence whatsoever (that I know of) tea has anything to do with Bartholin secretions. None. Nada. Zip. The urge to prevent women from drinking tea was probably either economical or misogynistic in nature.

J.Lee   

^It was both walaal, calaynta shaax was a rarity back in those days and quite expensive however, the reason or rather the excuse given for depriving the females of drinking tea was that belief. (Appeal to fear and vanity ma is tidhi)

Slim girls sow ayadii la oran jiray wey xanuunsaneysaa

[war gabadha iska daaya, dietkii bay ku jidhaa ee: naa ha dhiman intaa qurux aa iska raadinayso: ala buuranaa ma cirbad baa]

inaba caadhi ma'oho.

STOIC   

I was deprived eating from the "deerriga" (cooking pan).I use to have an inordinate craving for the bottom part of the barriska (dalacaa/iskudax kaariis).This was a disturbed state for me because my sisters were allowed to eat the best part while i was deprived that in the name of "dhaaqaan".My mom wouldn't let me be in the kitchen because it was "ceeb" for a youngstar like me roaming in the kitchen.You can see that there are rather some similarity with the girls not allowed to play soceer or basketball here.

^ LoL. I too had a thing for 'fujis' (is this the right term?) or the bottom, burnt-out part of the food - rice, porridge, suugo... :D

I was over-privileged in Somalia. I get depressed everytime I think of the life I could have had - with a silver spoon in my mouth. :(

Maf Kees   

As long as women's necks weren't stretched and feet binded, I'm cool.

But hold on for a minute. I heard Somali women love a man with a big gap between their front teeth. Arintaas wax maa ka jira?

Castro   

^ As long as it's not missing teeth, it's cool I guess.

I regret never attending school in Somalia. I so envied the kids in blue shorts and white shirts. Then the dharjaale. Oh what I would do for even a semester of that. :(

which one was the secondary, Dharjaale? Did the elementary kids wear different color than the Middle schoolers? I always wanted to ask somebody these questions. Seems like I have no recollection of these things :( .

I wasnt deprived of anything. As a matter fact, I used to get whipped for refusing to drink shah iyo caano, and oodkacand timir isku jira :( I have acquired a serious distaste for milk and hence would not be cought dead drinking milk even when they preached at school that its good for my bones smile.gif . I heard that married somali guys love oodkac and subag :eek: even now, maxaa ka jira?

-----------------------------------------------

Get Up!Up Even the best fall down sometimes

Castro   

Originally posted by Alle-ubaahne:

^^War xagee kaga maqneyd dalka waagii barisamaadka?

I was in exile saaxib. I wore a different uniform of gray pants and coat and white shirt. Nothing as colorful or flexible as what we had in Somalia. I'm gonna get similar clothes as they had for uniform and take pictures of my kids with them. I'd just look foolish if I wore them myself now. :(

STOIC   

Castro, you didn't attend school in Kenya by any chance, did you? The description you gave fits a school boy in the highlands of Kenya :D .

PS Its friday, its the end of the week and am out of this bloody building!!