Sign in to follow this  
Jabhad

Is Nuruddin Farah another Ayaan Xirsi in the making?

^True brother he could have been misquoted or lied upon or he didn't express himself adequately with he meant with that statement of his! But I'm sure if you ask him you will get to the bottom of this issue and it could be due to ignorance rather than something else!

Brother Xalane Al-hamdulillaah you are a good muslim brother, the best of man are those that acknowledge Allaah the exalted, when they are remined about him and his decrees and subsequently submitt themselves to him! Maashallaah! May Allaah guide us to the right path and forgive all of us and our sins and those of our parents and forefathers! Amiin!

Johnny B   

Yonis,That you're an abject with an irresistable need to call people names is noteable, as your sentences were dripping with intellectual and moral cowardice, that you're not assailed with the least portion of respect to a differing stance is obvious ,but it is quite out of proportion to claim that a Somali person is not entitled to support his/her 'Somali dhaqan', culture ? eh, skip it , i know, i know , i'm jumping on the wagon to support our new Somali-Gaal " Nuradin Farah" ..., oh , the shock , oh the horor !!

What i think of you and you of me is irrelevant to the subject matter ,hence i can't allow you to shift the light from the wrong claims of your 'Talibans'.

ulterior motive in plain is why you're indignantly jumping on the persona of a Somali Icon, whose only fault is allegedly stating a fact namely, " Jalbaab" doesen't belong to the Somali culture.

calling him ignorant might give you a direly needed Ego-insulin , but the gallery is so used to Yonis and his 'Taliban' wanna be'z to fret about.

"Jalbaab"(meaning that Taliban ) is neither culturally Somali,nor it is ordained from heaven, now,deal with that without resorting to the old and tired " the world is conspiring against Islam" mantra.

First of all Mr. JB, I'm not a Taliban! Nor do I support Al-Qeada! The chap that calls himself Taliban I have disagreements with him and soon I will highlight the faults of the extremists that the chap called Taliban represents! Al-Qeada is misguided but they'r our muslim brothers and we have to reason with them as they lack knowledge, good judgement/intellect and knowledge of the Siirah/Ahadiith of the prophet peace be upon him but that wouldn't matter to you because you don't belief in Allaah nor do you believe in the last prophet peace be upon him!

So you cannot discuss with us on such issues Mr. JB self-confessed kaafir!

Secondly Nuraddin Farah is not a kaafir and he is a muslim and our brother 'BOB' (Burhaan from now on inshallah) said that he will be investigating the issue inshallaah and that he will get to the bottom of it, understand?

We muslims do not commit Takfiir on anybody for commiting acts of sins and there are shuroods for it, so please don't put me in the brackets of the extreme ones, understand?

I have a valid point and contention, which you will not be able to understand, get it? Now go on with it.

Johnny B   

Originally posted by MKA Yoonis:

So you cannot discuss with us on such issues Mr. JB self-confessed kaafir!

Secondly Nuraddin Farah is not a kaafir and he is a muslim and our brother 'BOB' (Burhaan from now on inshallah) said that he will be investigating the issue inshallaah and that he will get to the bottom of it, understand?

I have a valid point and contention, which you will not be able to understand, get it? Now go on with it.

^ eh , and i thought that was you singing " coming on a wing and a prayer " .

Sullking off seems to be a forte !,It's kina tempting to ask you to try me , but then i'd be infringing my own religious liberity with your waste. icon_razz.gif

NGONGE   

Originally posted by femme_fatale:

I remember sometime back, came across one of his books,'Sardines' n i waz totally excited coz it waz the first somali novel i ever read.didnt go past pg10, coz he kept glorifying unislamic ideas like drinking wine n stuff. i didnt like it.bt itz bin so long since i heard bout him that i waz sure hez dead.

I don’t wish to get into the argument about Islamic dress here. It’s too long, too complicated and, frankly, boring. However, I just want to pick you up on your comment about his books. This guy is an author writing fiction. His stories allow him to use his poetic licence and discuss anything and everything (within reason of course). To talk about some unislamic practices in a fictional story is not the same as advocating such practices.

Maybe you should have read the whole book before making a judgment about the man’s personal ideas. Unless, of course, his style of writing and storytelling is what you didn’t like.

Emperor   

^^Just to ask you, is everything as you put it? I haven't followed most of the writing but if as you put it the claim comes from a comment made in a fictional writting and rather than speech made to audience, then I think the matter is a lot easier than previously thought.

You are not suggesting the wearing the Jilbab is too complicated and frankly boring, are you? lol only joking, however, contrary to you veiw what I see is very simple, easy and straightforward verse in our holly book that gives clear order, so whats so long and complicated about this...

NGONGE   

^^^ I'm commenting on the sister's words above and not the topic of the thread. smile.gif

The complication, as ever, comes from people’s interpretation of these verses, saaxib. But, like I said, I don’t want to be drawn into this particular discussion.

Emperor   

^^Fair enough sxb, let me just add one more thing, so long u need not to be involved with a dicussion along that root and so shouldn't you be bringing it up ( boring or complicated comment)..

Apart from that, let meask you a tricky question, why have you decided not to reply on the topic but only to a specfic comment made by fatale, could it be perhaps love in the macking?

What do you say had the author made that comment in Public infront of audience.

Khalaf   

Originally posted by Johnny B:

That Sulman Rushdie or Stringberg had commented on his work therefore he is not Muslim is like saying Castro is not a Muslim becouse JB has only nice things to say about his posts, what a drivel.
:D

[/qb]

^^^maybe, but it depends on the work itself the content which is being commented on, no? one may praise a physicists for being the best in his field be muslim or not, but when the issue is about faith, morality, ethics, principles, ect then it’s a different ball game. U c JB every man is what he believes, it is the lens you judge the world with. and its human nature to agree “praise” those who reaffirm your believes or agree with u. For example you JB, a self-confessed kaffir when it comes to the issues of Islam (beliefs) wouldn’t have “nice things to say” about the views of for example our brothes Nur, Khayr, Taliban and so on, it is no secret is it JB? Marka I would be concerned if I was Castro and JB was praising me, same way Nooradeen Farah should worry of the kafir Rushdie praising his work. ;)

RedSea   

Originally posted by Captain Xalane:

The surwaal gaab style and the jalaabib came recently.The writer is right,we have our own dress styles,different from the talibans and what have u.This is absurd,now the aqwaan muslimiin folks wanna claim that we had a history of jalaabib and surwaal gaaban.

Surwalgaab 'sytle' and Jalabaabib.

Let me reason with you on this matter since you seem to not make any sense with such comments above. To me only fox news kinda of reporters would utter such.

First of all, shortening your pants, khamiis, above the waist isnt' an Arabic culture, nor Afqhni or a Paki, it's a Sunnah which applies to all Muslims alike, and yes that includes Somalis.

The Hijab is also as you may 'know' is Muslim dress code, neither is it Arabic, or any of those I mentioned. it's Muslims dress code, which applies to ALL Muslims, and yes once again that includes us somalis.

Since Allah made requirement upon all Muslim to shorten their clothes above their waist, then its' understandible that if you wear pants or macawis that shorten it, Arabs should shorten their Khamiis, and Pakis and Afqhanis should shorten their whatever that they wear.

As for our beloved women's dress code. The dress or Hijaab whatever you want to call it must.

cover their body fully, one shouldn't be able to tell the curves of the Muslim' ladies body for it to be a full Hijaab. It should also drag on the ground for at least a length of one feet (dhudhun) behind her. It should be wide and not tight. If you can find a somali made whether it might dirac or what have you to fit in those categories, then simply go on. It would make a Hijab, however, I doubt a dirac would make a Hijab.

Each culuture has its own distince clothings, however it's must that those clothes go hand in hand with Islamic clothing, if not, then waa cirka utuur. They would be good for nothing.

I hope you understand.

First of all, shortening your pants, khamiis, above the waist isnt' an Arabic culture, nor Afqhni or a Paki, it's a Sunnah which applies to all Muslims alike, and yes that includes Somalis.

Am not gonna argue,refer to my previous posts if u want reasoning.All the same,well put.

Fabregas   

with that without resorting to the old and tired " the world is conspiring against Islam" mantra.

This quote is becoming a rather overused mantra..........J.B what about the old and tired mantra of Muslims lurking everywhere plotting to take over the West?

Nuradin needs to own his gaffe! But I think some people are exaggerating what he said to score a point against him. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

The man is not, apparently, informed about the fine points of Islamic dress code. I don’t think he harbors any hatred against Islam and its teachings though. To equate him with Ayaan therefore is a gross injustice. That women have no profession to speak of except she makes a living on her sporadic cheap digs on our faith and what it stands for.

She has been quite ineffective at that.

He, in turn, contributed immensely to Somalia’s good name and came close to winning that western thing. I have often agreed with many of his political stands. He has a consciousness. I deem his pronounced secularism quite harmless when put in the context of his knowledge and political inclinations. Same with the Samatar bros. These are people with reputable standing and they’ve earned the respect of the learned.

Besides given the views of some people here on the actual suffering of their people and how they support the warlord culture that’s prevalent in our country, it baffles me how they dare wrap with a convenient Islamic gown and argue with this peaceful man. I hate to spoil this discussion but when I see our cyber-warlord Xalane and his lieutenant, Yonis, giving religious sermons from the pulpit, it just has too much of a charlatan smell! It does not wash off quite easily to have a proven record of being with cahoots with anti-terror brigade and be a firm advocate for a strict Islamic dress code!

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Emperor:

^^Fair enough sxb, let me just add one more thing, so long u need not to be involved with a dicussion along that root and so shouldn't you be bringing it up ( boring or complicated comment)..

Apart from that, let meask you a tricky question, why have you decided not to reply on the topic but only to a specfic comment made by fatale, could it be perhaps love in the macking?

What do you say had the author made that comment in Public infront of audience.

I commented on the sister’s words because they were slightly on the wild and hasty side. She was condemning an author for the faults of his characters! Her comments seemed to miss the whole point of fiction and therefore I thought it worthwhile to draw her attention to how illogical they sounded.

On the topic itself, your Excellency, I declined to comment because the title of the topic was not to my liking (considering the evidence at hand). Furthermore, the whole discussion so far has been sensationalist and lacking in real fat. I personally am used to doing one of two things; I either take parts in trivial humours topics or serious ones. I can not take part in a nonsensical topic that is masquerading as a deep and serious discussion.

As for your question, let me first start by stating that the comments of Mr Farah are not that unique. That opinion is very prevalent in Somali society. In fact, if you do a quick search on the site you’ll find that our very own MMA has been waxing lyrical about the sacredness of Somali dress and his abhorrence of all these ‘alien’ jilbabs! I recall a particular thread in which he even provided photos. What I don’t recall is anyone accusing him of being a deviant, kaffir or non-believer!

Now to answer your question. Had the author uttered those words in public and in front of an audience? With that audience being Somali. They would, being the hypocrite that they are (and because it’s not really cricket), have respectfully listened and then humbly grilled him and requested him to clarify his words. I dare suggest that even our militant Taliban and MK would have done exactly that.

There, you dragged me into the topic. Happy now?