Sign in to follow this  
Jabhad

Is Nuruddin Farah another Ayaan Xirsi in the making?

Laba-X   

Originally posted by Taliban:

quote:Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

This jilbaab business arrived late '80s, perhaps no earlier than 89 where a very few women wore it, and aad ugu faafay after the war, especially after 2000.

First, Jilbaab (especially the one with the black color) didn't arrive in Somalia in the late 80's. Although not widespread, it was familiar among some Somalis, especially the coastals. Second, some Somalis are only familiar with the history of Somalia from the pre-colonial to the present times. Several hundreds years ago, cities and towns such as Harar, Zaila, Mogadishu, Marka, Baraawe and others were important Islamic centers where Sharia' was the system of governance. Those cities and towns had strong trade and commercial relationships with the Islamic world. Famous Muslim travelers visited Somalia throughout those centuries and documented their observations. Hijab, Jilbaab, Niqaab or other forms of modesty dress were familiar in Somalia. From the onset of the colonial times, Somalis have been subjected to a campaign of secular brainwashing, making what was familiar to them unfamiliar. What we are seeing today is, we are rediscovering what was familiar to us.

As for Nuruddin Farah, as I have already outlined, he's internationally acclaimed for an obvious reason. He's not straightforward or brave as Ayan Hirsi or others, but nonetheless, he's serving the West by attacking Islam.
...Taliban, Your tendency of thrusting your opinions down people's throats as "facts" is infuriating and loathsome. You know nothing of Somali history and culture yet there you are a self-proclaimed traditonalist au fait with every bit of Somali culture, traditions and history. A little learning is a dangerous thing my friend. Wasn't you the one that said that we got the Dirac from the Indian Shalwar Kameez?

Jilbaab was in Somalia way before they late 80's, contrary to what you stated. During the reign of Barre the women in Jilbaabs faced a wave of ostracism and prejudice and were known as "Maalintii Shareerato, Habeenkii Shaqaysato" in outrageous slurs against them. So its nothing new. And there are also some incidents related of the use of Jilbaab before the era of Barre.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Laba_Xiniinyood:

Your tendency of thrusting your opinions down people's throats as "facts" is infuriating and loathsome.

I am sorry to have infuriated and enraged you. It wasn't my intention.

me   

Nuradin farax is Nin Rag ah! You Taliban wannabe's stop cross dressing and get with the pro gramme, there won't be a Islamic state unless ts a SOMALI-islamic state so do not try to undermine Somalinimo.

Taliban   

Originally posted by me:

there won't be a Islamic state unless ts a SOMALI-islamic state

According to you, what are the necessary requirements for a SOMALI-islamic state?

RedSea   

^Good question.

MMA what the heck is malqamad. We were in Jaahiliyah. Islam is the one that cometh and enlightens people. If we use to wear Malkhamado, duruuc, etc....then surely we were Jaahileen, today our ladies are wearing Hijab, which is the Islamic culture, required upon us by Allah, it's more important than the so called somali culture.

Sure, the Afqhanis didn't come up with the Hijab we were today, it's totally distinct with the one our ladies wear. The Hijab that our woment wear has be praised from around the Muslim world, saying ours and the Afqhanis are the closest to real Hijab which is required in our faith.

Mr. me, use your head now. You are somali right? if sharica law was implemented in somalia, that would make somalia a Islamic State right?

Regardless of calling it Islamic state of somalia or otherwise, the actuall practice is what counts.

The point of the the thread still stands, Nuradin is a dumba$$, reer galbeed iska dhaadhicis.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Shucayb:

Sure, the Afqhanis didn't come up with the Hijab we were today, it's totally distinct with the one our ladies wear.

Good observation. I challenge those who claim the style of Somali hijab was copied from Afghanis to post a picture of each to show the similarity.

Honesita   

Salaamu Aleeykum

Shouldn't we first talk about the difinition of culture, tradition and Islam first before we talk about whether or not the Hijab is in our culture or not... All i see is a whole lot of talk so far...

Hijab is not a Somali tradition, the guy is right... It is also not an Afghani or Arab culture either.... There he was wrong.. The Arab women in Jahiliya (ignorance days before Islam) did not wear Hijab. They only did it when commanded by Allah and the Messenger salla Allahu alayhi wasallam. This makes it an Islamic act... When Afghani, Somali, Arab and even European or American women wear it, they don't wear it because it is in their culture, it's because of Islam. Which is also why you see Arabs, Afghanis, and Somalis actually have traditional clothings, and they are almost never Islamic in the sense that they do not fulfill the requirements of Hijab.

So really, i am not questioning whether what he say is right or wrong...i'm just questioning his purpose of differenciating between Somali culture and Islam... What point is he trying to get across... Is he calling to stick to culture or stick to Islam or is he simply an Anthropologist who is talking about cultures...i'm quite buzzled!!

Let's not question his Aqeeda either... he only talked about clothing and culture, it is not something that takes you out of the fold of Islam...!!

Fii Amaani'Laah

bilan   

first of all hijaab is not equal to jalbaab. guntiino iyo garbasaar xijaab way noqon karaan. reer minnesota waaba u baahan yihiin wax saas wax ugu sheega.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

when did islam equal dress code?

Islam is a way of life, and that includes Islamic dress code. Within the corporate world of the West, women have to dress conservatively and not show much flesh. Western women are advised to dress conservatively so not to attract unwanted attention or flirtation, prevent a possible rape, iwm. These are preventive measures meant to protect both men and women. Islam provided Muslims far superior measures more than 1400 years ago. Surely, a transparent dirac that shows a woman's sensitive parts isn't a helpful, civilized or appropriate dress code.

I keep reading hijaab isn't or isn't equal to jilbaab. For those making that statement, what's the difference?

BTW, this is a good article about what imperialists have done to Muslims regarding hijab:

http://www.ezsoftech.com/akram/hijab.asp

Honesita   

There is a difference between Hijab and Jelbab, both have different definitions according to Islamic sciences... I'll try to find that insha Allah... And, there are two verses that came down at diff times asking the women to cover.. Insha Allah I'll look for more evidence for this... but these are the two verses....

وَقُل لِّلْمُؤْمِنَاتِ يَغْضُضْنَ مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِنَّ وَيَحْفَظْنَ فُرُوجَهُنَّ وَلَا يُبْدِينَ زِينَتَهُنَّ إِلَّا مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا وَلْيَضْرِبْنَ بِخُمُرِهِنَّ عَلَى جُيُوبِهِنَّ وَلَا يُبْدِينَ زِينَتَهُنَّ إِلَّا لِبُعُولَتِهِنَّ أَوْ آبَائِهِنَّ أَوْ آبَاء بُعُولَتِهِنَّ أَوْ أَبْنَائِهِنَّ أَوْ أَبْنَاء بُعُولَتِهِنَّ أَوْ إِخْوَانِهِنَّ أَوْ بَنِي إِخْوَانِهِنَّ أَوْ بَنِي أَخَوَاتِهِنَّ أَوْ نِسَائِهِنَّ أَوْ مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُهُنَّ أَوِ التَّابِعِينَ غَيْرِ أُوْلِي الْإِرْبَةِ مِنَ الرِّجَالِ أَوِ الطِّفْلِ الَّذِينَ لَمْ يَظْهَرُوا عَلَى عَوْرَاتِ النِّسَاء وَلَا يَضْرِبْنَ بِأَرْجُلِهِنَّ لِيُعْلَمَ مَا يُخْفِينَ مِن زِينَتِهِنَّ وَتُوبُوا إِلَى اللَّهِ جَمِيعًا أَيُّهَا الْمُؤْمِنُونَ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islâm), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allâh to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful. (An-Nur 24:31)

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ قُل لِّأَزْوَاجِكَ وَبَنَاتِكَ وَنِسَاء الْمُؤْمِنِينَ يُدْنِينَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِن جَلَابِيبِهِنَّ ذَلِكَ أَدْنَى أَن يُعْرَفْنَ فَلَا يُؤْذَيْنَ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e.screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allâh is Ever Oft­Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Al-Ahzab 33:59)

me   

I will reply to you talibans and shucaacs another time. I have no time for BS now.

My point standsNuradin Farax is good at what he does and you people are just hating.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

How many of these sketches look like somali dress to you?

That what I said? These sketches look like somali dress to me?