Sign in to follow this  
Strawberry_Xu

Strangers or Parents?

juba   

Originally posted by Xu:

It's just those heavy metal keychains that dangle on the side of my trousers, and spiky metal armbands and suchlike. I don't wear them all the time, only when I feel a bit rebellious
icon_razz.gif

our own personal somali punk! :D on a serious note Xu i understand what you mean, its an african thing. its about dicipline,proper behavior. and the like. they are just concerned about the Somali youth these days and i must say they are forgetting their roots and who they reallt are. They feel compelled to save the lost somali youngsters! look at it that way and maybe u will feel compasion.

^I dont think so Juba. How can snide remarks and discourgaging someone be an advice and disciplining someone. How can someone who has never set a foot in a higher Education Institution gives an advice and tells someone what to study and what not to study?

Some old folks are simply rude and inconsiderate but the best you could do is listen with one ear and exit in other ear..haysku daalin hadalkooda

Diamante   

HeHe. You were not by any chance wearing knee high boots were you?

Oh yes ofcourse I was, I was going for that whole Julia-Roberts-Pretty-Woman look icon_razz.gif

Oh yes ofcourse I was, I was going for that whole Julia-Roberts-Pretty-Woman look

:eek: She must have watched the movie then. Parhaps, thats what triggered the grocery dropping icon_razz.gif

You rem Julia's character dont you?. She prolly worried that some white rich man will stop his convertable and charm the xalimo out of you!. :D

I tell you we under estimate some of these hooyos. They know stuff!. She musta watched the movie like several times.

Bess.   

it used to really bug me....it got to the point where i never went to the somali stores or places where they gather around..... :D:D:D but i got over it.....i mean this ppl don't bother me, although it is quite annoying and puzzling how what we do has any reflection on them...i never know...but i learned the best way to deal is just let them talk, say thank you and move on.... ;) ....

ps....for any somali person out there....don't ever comment on my BCBG croco stilettos....then we gonna have issues... :rolleyes: ...say whateva u want ...don't go there....with the shoes... icon_razz.gif

juba   

Originally posted by A_Ladiif:

How can someone who has never set a foot in a higher Education Institution gives an advice

i don't think u need education to give advice.

Pacifist   

Do I remember the days.......I have had the same experiences. People I have no idea come to me say stuff like that. Or OMG LOOK AT THIS GIRL NAYA MIYAADAN ILAHI KA CABSANEYNIN OR ARE YOU NOT SCARED OF ALLAH. I WOULD BE THE REBELIOUS ONE AND TELL THEM OFF. LIKE HOW DARE U SAY THAT TO ME. OR YOU DON'T HAVE A RIGHT TO SAY THAT TO ME.

SOME TIMES I WOULD CRY AND SAY WHY ARE THEY SAYING THINGS LIKE THIS TO ME THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW ME.

I was the girl in the whole neighbourhood who would be playing soccer with the boys and before I know it somebody somewhere already told my parents ohh she is playing soccer wit the boys. Or mothers marching down to my house and telling my mom OMG she is a girl. She is supposed to be home and doing the girly stuff. I wore jeans, tshirt and well my haircut short. Total tomboy grow up with boys. My mother saying hooyo you are a girl xishood. Ofcourse I would have to go to them and apologize for telling them off. My mon would say hooyo Ishoda ey ku helin or beware of they eye meaning older people.

But but but

their is but for me

There is a saying YOU WILL ALWAYS FIND someone WHO PRAISE YOU SAY STUFF ABOUT YOU BUT ITS VERY RARE TO FIND SOMEBODY WHO TELLS YOU a GOOD advice.

As somalis its our culture to do that. Ofcourse there are people who say these things in a bad way like omg but also some of them are really sincere about what they are telling you. Its always good if you are giving a person a advice about apearance or life style to do a in a peaceful, respectful with out seeming boostful way. Like rendavou said a Nasiha. Ofcourse our elders some of them lack this trait but they mean well. Hey lets be patient wit these people and say are done thank and walk away. Its up to you if you want to take it or not.

The other day I was passing by a neighbourhood and I saw this boy about 12yrs I noticed he was somali. He looked familiar but I was not sure. Well he was hanging around these kids in a ghetto neighbourhood. Very dangerous and I was walking by them and one of the kids was like whaz up mami. I looked at them and ignored them they were smoking weed. anyways I recognized the boy he was a family friend. I called him up I seriously wanted to lecture him on why he was hanging out there and why he smelled like weed and how his pants was about to full of his behind. And then I remembered damn girl you were once young and naive too. I told him hey get in the car and Am going to drop you off home. The ride home he was all quite and scared that I was going to tell his parents. But I didn't say anything. Next time I saw him talked to him in a nice manner and He replyed thank you. And he said that usually he doesn't listen to people who yell at him and judge him. He gave me my own lesson of ONce I too was young!!!!

Chi CHi

True Juba but it depends what kind of advice, not all kind of advice need education but in this case, anyone whos attepting to tell me what to major in school should know something abt these fields he/she encouraging me to major. They can advice me...good advise may I add, in many cases and situations but not when it comes to Higher Education....I wonder what their advice would be based on? He says...she says?

Dinky...did u say..

Those old men and Women...

'They have a higher chance of dying, any moment now than us'.

Do u mean DEATH has some age.............

TUKO INTAAN LUGUGU TUKANIIN.

PRAY TO GOD BEFORE THEY PRAY ON YOU. :cool: :cool:

I believe (and its my personal opinion) that majors like film studies, social studies, philosophy, history, International Relations, Women Studies, Music, Arts and Information Systems are wothless majors... and yeah.. u read that right, Information Systems is as useless of a major as the those i mentioned.. I just dont understand why some ppl wake up to go to school for 4 years to study something they know they wont get a decent job with!!! most of my friends who majored in Information Systems are actually jobless or working on some $13/hour jobs!!! some even went back for a second major...

dawoco   

Xu it happened back home as well, parents knew what they kids have been upto away from home before they even came back from schools/dugsis. They would know who got beaten by the macalin, who fought with whom and who didn't turn up for their lessons and where they were.

The best way to deal with it is just grin and bear it, thank them for their advice. That way they will know that you are a smart girl who is aware of whats good for her and who is approachable, one thing they often complain about with the younger generation is tthat they never listen to their elders. If you show them respect dispite your opinions, word will soon spread that regardless of your style, you have a sound head on those shoulders.

A quick question, haven't you lot found that it works the other way around? Seeing a somali elder and treating them as a parent, i mean. I have this inbred sense of responsibility that has many times seen me make a fool of myself for people that were very suspicious of me. When ever i see a somali elder i have a need to go out of my way and help them in some way. I would be offering a women to carry their grocery bags for them if i saw them with a heavy load, it even extended to offering my umbrella on a rainy day. In return i would get a firm no thanks and a suspicious look as i was going to rob them as soon as they let their gaurd down.

It's not because i am a nice person or that i am some sort of raaliya, though i wish that was the case, it is this inbred training given by somali parents i think. Think about it, when you are rude to a somali elder, don't you experience a bang of regret?

Sky   

Originally posted by Action Jackson:

I believe (and its my personal opinion) that majors like film studies, social studies, philosophy, history, International Relations, Women Studies, Music, Arts and Information Systems are wothless majors...

man its not just your personal opinion, its general opinion. how the hell do you want a decent life, let alone a decent job, with majors of this kind? and information systems is not that bad actually, its just that the market is too full now. i have a friend who majored in it and he is lucky to have found a job (not much of a job anyways) after a long period of joblessness. film studies is indeed useless.

what do you study then or did you graduate in action jackson?

I believe (and its my personal opinion) that majors like film studies, social studies, philosophy, history, International Relations, Women Studies, Music, Arts and Information Systems are wothless majors... and yeah.. u read that right, Information Systems is as useless of a major as the those i mentioned.. I just dont understand why some ppl wake up to go to school for 4 years to study something they know they wont get a decent job with!!! most of my friends who majored in Information Systems are actually jobless or working on some $13/hour jobs!!! some even went back for a second major...

You are absolutely right.

Most of these majors lead to a very insecure career. And especially with Film Studies, chances are you won't get a job. But you know why? Because most people just don't have the strenght to thrive in such a competetive job market.

But seriously, I don't even want a decent job, if by that you mean a well paying 9 to 5 job. I did a year of International Business at uni, and I quickly realised I didn't care about profits and making money. I realised that I didn't want to be one of those people with money, who when they reach middle-age are suddenly overwhelmed by all those missed opportunities and dreams.

Besides, you'd be surprised how many things you can do with a film degree.

Sometimes AJ, people study things because they simply and passionately love the subject. I love the art of film, I consider myself to be an artist. I'm not interested in jobs per se, I'm interested in the things I create.

So yeah I'm taking a risk, and if it doesn't work out and if it turns out everybody hates my films, I'll do something else, but when I'm 50, I won't go through a mid-life crisis and I won't regret for a second having tried to realise my dreams.

Besides, I rather work as a lowly errand girl at £5/ph on a low-budget film, than as an executive of a bank on £500,000 a year. Seriously.

film studies is indeed useless.

Useless for getting a 9 to 5 job, not useless for learning about the art of film, which is what I and anybody who does this course, wants.