Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Are Your Cats Old Enough To Learn About Jesus?

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Jimca Lee:

I believe the article mocks (more so) the believer than the religion: and this isn't applicable only to Christianity but rather most of the "world" religions (that is the underlying assumption in my opinion).

quote:

but this Jesus obsession in Christians is over the top.

The same thing could be said about Muslims who torch down buildings because of a drawing ( or rather because of their "Maxamed" obsession)

Maandhayaal:

If you wish for religious tolerance or respect, try practicing it yourself first: hadii kale, let everybody be a fair game.
Muslims don't have a Prophet Mohammed obsession. Some reacted incorrectly through violence because of a deliberate insult. Don't want to go into that - beaten to death. What I meant by Jesus obsession is that they elevate and emphasize Jesus above God even though they claim that they are a monotheistic religion. That is my issue - that said I respect committed Christians.

Blessed   

Originally posted by Castro:

^ It's a satirical piece atheer. Animals don't have religions.

quote:

Originally posted by Blessed:

I've only skimmed through it, but I think the piece in mocking Christianity.

Right on. Even with skimming you got it. Now tell me this, is this sacrilegious?
It depends on which way you look at it. If it’s written by a Muslim with the intent to mock, it is sacrilegious because it’s against the teachings of our religion. The Quran clearly forbids mocking other faiths and commands us to give special regard to the people of the Book.

It’s not only wise to respect others, if you expect the same treatment but in light on the constant attack on people of faith, it’s sensible to show solidarity. It’s sad that Muslims are often quick to mock the jews in the way they dress when they are the only religious group share similarities with us in the application of our faiths. Same thing with the Jehovas.

I don’t know what or if any parameters are set by Christianity with regards to mocking people of faith or religious believes.

*This doesn’t mean that religion is beyond critique since both our religions (Christianity and Islam) are based on sharing the message- we have to be open to critique and debate but this too has to be regulated.

P.S

Speaking of comedy and religion. Has any heard of the Allah made me funny trio? Magnifique. I went to one of there London tours, you should’ve heard the Asian girls ; ‘subxan Allah, he is so crazy gigggggggle, giggleâ€

War bal anagaa wax aragnay: How did this crap turn into a 2-page debate? :D

FRIDAY MAO -

Marka hore, Awoowe Allaha u naxariisto, Janatul-Firdowsana Allaha ka waraabiyo. Aamin!

Secondly, I think we should differentiate between Christians "obsession with Jesus" vis-a-vis the Muslims' "love for Prophet Muhammad (scw)." And if the violent protests didn't happen, how else were we to respond? Boycotts, peaceful protests, etc.?

I think the brother al-Haji Malik al-Shabazz (Malcolm X) said it best: "Power never takes a step back - only in the face of more power." If the Muslims didn't step up and show power, then the Christians would think insulting the Prophet (scw) is "OKAY." Next thing you know, every ideology the Muslims believe in will get insulted (which has been happening for years). But by insulting the Prophet (scw), they broke all the rules and needed to be dealt with harshly to show them that this is where the buck ultimately stops.

J.Lee   

:D @Friday Mao, Haye GM.

First: Aamin and mahadsanid walaal.

Second: Most people, those who are neither Christians nor Muslims, can't differentiate between the two. As far as they are concerned, it is the same thing with a different book.

Mida kale, how is it that we can have a "laugh" over their so called "obsession" (why can't it be love or devout worshipping?), or even class it as such after what took place a month ago? Isn't that insulting to Christians similar to the way the drawings were for us?

And at the end of the day isn't it about respect for the belief and the believer?

Wasn't that the sole reason for the protests and the boycotts? Why fight for it if we are not going to apply it or practice it?

Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

B.T.W

I just used the drawings debacle as an example to show that non-muslim may interpret the love for the Prophet (S.C.W) as an "obsession."

Castro   

I tend to agree with J. Lee on this. Just look at the paragraph below.

Kittens' hearts, at birth, are filled with what theologians call
"original mischief."
Mischief, if left to grow on its own, can sprout into evil. That's why you must fill their hearts with Jesus instead. If you wait, your cats might find seductive role models among the back-alley strays and rough felines from the wrong side of town. You could also end up with an unwanted pregnancy.

The concept of the Original Sin is fundamental in Christian dogma. We don't believe in it, and apparently, neither does the author of the piece. That he's ridiculing it though is without a doubt.

That's why it's so very, very important to tell your cats about the life,
crucifixion
, and
resurrection
of Jesus as early as possible. The Nicene Creed is a good place to start: Recite it to them when they are about 10 weeks old.

Again, crucificion and resurrection are the cornerstones of the trinity and therefore, by associating them with "ten week old" kittens, he's sneering at these doctrines and mocking them.

I don't know if this rises to the same level as insulting our prophet (pbuh) but I'm sure there's at least one Christian out there who might disagree with me.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Jimca Lee:

B.T.W

I just used the drawings debacle as an example to show that non-muslim may interpret the love for the Prophet (S.C.W) as an "obsession."

I think anyone who would interpret the drawings debacle as obsession would simply be wrong. It really isn't in the same class. But I tend to agree with most of ur points.

Gabbal   

Code-

Let me second Ms. Lee and say mahadsanid too walaal. Alla ha u naxariisto.

Ms. Lee-

I think you are as confused about the "cartoon protests" as you imply the non-Muslims were. It had less today with the cartoons themselves as opposed to a small climax of the financial, social, economic repression Muslims have felt (over a while) under their inept, corrupt rulers and their western backers. Maandhey labadaa kala hubso, deetana ha isku qaldin mar kale.

BOB   

Castro,

This article reminds me of a story i posted a while ago..about some twisted dude somewhere in far east asia who jumped over a zoo fence into a lion's cage and started to scream at the lion "Jesus Wiil Save You" :D his crazy behind needed to be stitched up just to be saved!

Peace,Love & Unity.

Castro   

^ I remember that story too. I laughed my head off when I read about it. I think the lion killed him too. Obviously he was mentally unstable but it's interesting that you'd remember that story reading this satirical piece. Are you saying religious fanaticism is akin to madness?

BOB   

Originally posted by Castro:

Are you saying religious fanaticism is akin to madness?

to some extent YES,, and every religion has it's own fanatics including our own Islam which is shame really..because in no where in the beloved and most noble Qur'an did Allah s.w permitted us to kill women,children and innocent people and as every Muslim should know..the most glorious Prophet Muhammed s.a.w was most kind to women,children and the weak and today the so-called Muslim Terrorists plant a bomb in public places where all kinds of innocent people are found including some devout Muslims.. so yes we have our own FANATICS who are using Islam to their sleazy advantages..just like we Somalis use Islam when we have a certain agenda..

May Allah s.w Guide Us All Through The Right Path Insha Allah.. Aamiin.

May Peace Be With You All Insha Allah & Good Night.

Peace,Love & Unity.

Originally posted by Kashanre:

Ms. Lee-

I think you are as confused about the "cartoon protests" as you imply the non-Muslims were. It had less today with the cartoons themselves as opposed to a small climax of the financial, social, economic repression Muslims have felt (over a while) under their inept, corrupt rulers and their western backers.
Maandhey labadaa kala hubso, deetana ha isku qaldin mar kale.

Don't let him talk to you like that... if disinclined, you can unleash me on him.

^

Cyber threat. Check! :D

Wasn't that the sole reason for the protests and the boycotts? Why fight for it if we are not going to apply it or practice it?

Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Good point, but the example doesn't fit because, in regards to the Danish cartoons, it was a [insert: State-sponsored] deliberate insult against the global Muslim Ummah and our religious ideology. If that's not the case, how come the West focused more on the riots than the actual cause of them?

They wanted to prove that the Muslims are a bunch of violent criminals who need to be controlled and dominated, for they pose a threat to the "modern" world. Talking to the average American tells me they've largely succeeded. Sad!

J.Lee   

^It's sad indeed walaal and as I stated earlier I do agree with you but the example fits in the sense that I cited it from a believer's perspective: were the roles reversed it'd be the same; it would still be insulting. (It's similar in that sense la soco)

Walk with me walaal: If a non-Muslim wrote: but this "Maxamed [s.C.W] obsession" in Muslims is over the top . And I'm not picking on The Point but honestly how would you take it?

SB: Have a go at it.

Kaac kash: as always, I beg to differ maandhow smile.gif

First of, cats are inherently evil, they sneak up behind you and scratch your eyeballs. That being said, I’ve always been intrigued by the way Christians depict their religion through imagery, and other discursive methods – such as the commoditization of Jesus – such as having shirts, stickers, tv shows based on religious figures among other things. Even with the rise of the Christian right, many media critics, writers and in general liberal America has always been producing satirically driven critique – that is cynical and unapologetic just like the Bush administration.