Sign in to follow this  
cabdi-casse

Somali Islands

I was discussing this with a friend who informed me of a series of islands off the coast of Somalia. I realised these islands are not well known if I hadn't heard about them and the only one I had heard of is Socotra - off the north-east coast of puntland - which is closer to Somalia but inhabited by yemenis. There are also a few more islands, some off the coast of ras kamboni, which are called bajuni islands, and there is also another two off the coast of saylac which I have no information on. The only one I have found some information on is bajuni:

The Bajuni Islands or Baajun Islands are an archipelago in the Indian Ocean, on the southern coast of Somalia, from Kismayu to Ras Kiyemboni (not to be confusen with Ras Kamboni). They lie at the northern end of a string of reefs which also include Zanzibar and Pemba.

There are six main islands: Chandra, Chovaye, Chula have 2 streets which allmost known by all the people it is furadoni and filini wich southern part of island, Koyama, Darakasi and Ngumi. Chula with the village of Ndowa is the only island with a significant population.

Other islands of minor importance are: Kandha Iwu, Fuma, Ilisi and the island of Kisimayu (actual Kisimayu harbor) attached to the coast in 1961 during the construction of Kismayu Port.

Diving the Bajuni islands is a great. The reefs are unbleached and untouched; with depths from 10m to 35m. Fish shoals are huge and the water really warm: 27 - 32°C.

NOTE: Burgao should be avoided. It is controlled by fundamentalists who do not like christian foreigners.

Btw if you have any information on them feel free to add, as it would be very helpful for me to learn about these islands, thanks.

RedSea   

There is about a place the widith of 5 football fields off the coast of red sea just by Xiis. It's sorta like mountain rock in the middle of the sea but with large surface area that could be inhabited.

Also the bay of Berbera, just few km East to Berbera dhinaca bada cas. Waa bay aad u qurux badan. Check google earth for further info.

Thanks for the info I didn't see the one you mentioned near xiis. Also I think I have seen another one in the bay of karin, although it may not be an island.

Btw, my friend was telling me, that us somalis take our country for granted. When really we have many beautiful, unexplored, tourist-free places like the ones mentioned.

NOTE: Burgao should be avoided. It is controlled by
fundamentalists
who do not like
christian foreigners

Lol, I have only just noticed this; the fundamentalists could maybe be Al-Shabab and the christian foreigners probably being Ethiopia and the TFG who invited them. :D

AYOUB   

Jasiiradaha Saacadadiin

2468224512_bb94872271.jpg

2468224508_1d02518261.jpg

2467414749_a7984f34a8.jpg

2467414753_8b39a7524f.jpg

Saacadadiin iyo Ceebaab

Jasiirada Saacadiin oo ah tan magaca weyn kana baaxada weyn ayaa loogu magac daray boqorkii saacadadiin sida ay ii sheegeen odoyaal reer Saylaci, jasiiradahan ayaa u jira Saylac ilaa 10 km waxa degan oo ka shaqeystay dhalinyaro ugaasato iyo qolyo madagaskar ah oo iyaguna ugaadhsada kuwaasi oo ay xukuumadu u fasaxday xaalufinta iyo gurashada noockasta oo macdan ah sidoo kale waxa iyana aan aagaas ka dheerayn Maraakiibta nooca jiriifka ah ee laga leeyahay wadanka Masar kuwaasi oo sidoo kale iyaguna sita fasaxyo Xukuumadu siisay, Labo Qolo oo Cadaan ah ayaa iyana ka ugaadhsada bada iyagoo fasaxyo sita waana dunida badeedii la cunay aaga Xeebaha galbeedka waa la kala iibsadey

Saacadadiin oo aan booqday waxay ahayd goob ku wanaagsan dalxiiska, labada jasiiradoodna waa labada kaliya ee ay somaliland leedahay hadii wado sax ah loo heli lahaa saylac waa la degi kari lahaa Jasiiradahaasi oo dhisme ayaa ka suurtoobi lahaa maadaama ay aad u baaxad weynyihiin balaadh ahaan.

This is excerpt is an intro for a poem (Miyaydaan Aqoon Diinta) by Xaaji Af-Qallooc from Maxamed Baashe's book HAL AAN TEBAYEY:

Gabaygan waxa uu Xaajigu ku xusayaa magacyada rag u badnaa culima aw diin iyo coqaal uu gumeysigii Ingriisku ku xidh xidhay jasiiradda Sacaada Diin oo xeebta Saylac ah. Raggas waxa ka mid ahaa marka laga yimaaddo inta gabayga ku xusan oo aynu xaga hoose ugu tegi doonno tacriftooda: Sheekh Axmed Maxamuud Dalmar, Sheekh Cali Shire iyo Sheekh Yuusuf Dalmar oo dhammaantood Ceerigaabo ka so jeeday. Nimanka cuqaasha ah jasiiraddas lagu xidhayna waxa ka mid ahaa Caaqil Maxamed Aadan Aw Cabdi (Fadhi-yare) oo deegaanka Burco ka soo jeeday. Raggani waxa ay diiddanayeen guud ahaanba siyaasaddii maamulka Ingiriiska ee Somaliland, gaar ahaana waxyeellada sun ayaxa lagu buufinayay ama dhulka loogu daadinayey ay gaadhsiinaysey baadka, biyaha iyo xoolahaba. Intii u dhaxaysey 1946-1947 ayay raggasi xidh xidhaynaayeen.

Grant   

Bechtel didn't finish the Kisimayu port until late spring, 1966. Even at that point, there were no cranes or loading equipment.

The island isn't more than a few hundred yards long.

The Bajuunis are not Samaale. They are thought to have mixed antecedants, which include Bushmen. They speak kiBajuni, a Bantu language, and, as a group, have cultural and other ties to the broader Swahili culture.