Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Moving Songs!

Abtigiis   

I presume most SOLers listen to music. There is plenty of music from all over the world that get our attention and we enjoy listening to. Some for their lyrics, some for their beat, and some for the melodious voice of the singers. Yet, there are those who will never go out of our head, and move us everytime we listen to them.

I have listened to quite some diverse music in my life. Somali, English, Hindi, Sudanese, Mali, African, Japanese, and all that came my way. From Somalia, Mohamed Moge is great, Fuad Omer is a rising star. Mohamed Wardi in Sudan is a legend, Pascal Mashalani is superb with her 'anta bit ruuh'. Paul Macartney, Percy slege and many others with mind-soothing melodies are out there.

But, it is the song "Jenber" which means Sun, by the much-loved blind singer from Ethiopia -Yirdaw Tenaw, that moves me most. The Singer is blind and is pleading the sun, which he is not sure if it is out of diffidence or fright that it doesn't reveal itself to him, to come out. With captivating voice, and genuine emotion, he asks it to defy the skies, clouds and horizons that are stopping her from his vision. A very raw translation of the Amharic version is below. (much is lost in translation)!

Her location is mysterious

But I know she is hiding from me

She loiters within her borders, her space

Why is she so shy to see me?

Come out sun!

You know [this] coward horizon is shielding you from me

You know the clouds are conspiring to hide you

Come out sun!

I can not indict the atmosphere

I cannot judge the skies

Come out sun!

I am waiting for the day

You finally defy them

Come out sun!

I am robbed off my morning warmth,

And my evening light

Come out sun!

How can I eat my dinner?

I don’t know what is on the table

I don’t know who is in the kitchen

Come out sun!

Bring my inside out

Replace the darkness with light,

Come out sun!

Comfort me from the unending sadness

In annoyance, don’t keep me in this fog!

If you enter this site http://lucyzare.com/ and you select Yirdaw Tenaw, Track number 5 under the name of the artist is Jenber.

Which song moves you most?

Abtigiis   

jacaylbaro, adigu waxaad ku dhaantay Oromadee, waxaan kuu saaraynaa "birtukaane miti hadhaadha kan jaalalaa"!

Akam, ya jolle biya keenya? :D

Haneefah   

Salaan sare, A&T! LOL. Speaking of Ethiopian singers, I would've thought the legendary Tilahun would be the one whose words would move you the most as they have moved millions from that part of the world (including some family members redface.gif ).

Off topic, but hearing the word Ethiopia brought back the incredible nostalgia I've had these days for that country. I miss EVERYTHING!! From the beautiful people, to the food (have't had authentic doro wadd in a long time -- the stuff they make in so called ethiopian restaurants in the west cannot even be called real food!) , to aromatic smells, to the lovely cold Harari breeze at night. Ugh, I wanna go back now.

:D @ JB. Akam jartee, JB-oow? There's something quite funny about non-Ethiopian-born Somalis speaking Amhari.

Aaliyyah   

speaking of oromo song..I kinda like this song even thou I dont understand one word lol

Does anyone know a song this guy sang but it was in Somali???something along the lines "sharadka dhigana maxaad u sheegtaa" (or maybe not I cant remember the lyrics lol)

somali song by magool...maxaad taqaan...one song that puts me to tears..

May Allah swt have mercy on her soul..but this song is one of my fav

turutroontay oo kuftay aya taqaan

talaabsan waydey oo dhacdey ayaa taqaan

taladii seegtday oo luntay ayaa taqaan

eee maxa taqaan

Abtigiis   

Haneefah,

The feeling is mutual. But somehow, the politics side is ugly and painful.

Speaking of Tilahun, I am rather a devoted admirer of Aster's old songs. Those make you love instanteouly even if you don't know who. Tilahun is great but too many songs, and ultimately some poor ones. Like when he sings about Qataro (appointement). He is at his best in Monalisa and 'Wataatuwa (the young one)'.

I have to tell you music have progressed so so so dramatically in Ethiopia, it is so hard even for Aster to keep up. Today it is GG, Natty, Michale Belayneh and Tadele Roba who are setting the pace. It is incredible.

That song I posted moves me so much because the blind singer really puts out all that blind people feel inside. It is heart-ripping, I tell you.

Watch Mikael Balayneh's "Ye fikir Mirchaye"

Ye negen maawaq, falaku

Machiiwun maayat, naafaku

Yafir Mirchafe, anchi nesh

Liben manfaseen, yagazaash!

I think you will agree why Tilahun will not be missed. Pass the trance music of the first 9 seconds,,,

Cara.   

The other day an Ethiopian friend said "Somali Ethiopian girls are so tall and pretty." The what's wrong with you was implied of course :D But I thought it was odd, to her Somalis in Ethiopian are just another tribe, though with some legitimate grievances and malcontents.

Anigana halkaan I was thinking it's big of me to befriend the enemy :D