Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Snow White and the seven asylum seekers

N.O.R.F   

Owen Bowcott

Tuesday November 4, 2003

The Guardian

Topical it may have been, but a Devon village pantomime entitled Snow White and the Seven Asylum Seekers has triggered a row about alleged racism and alleged free speech.

As the season of goodwill approaches, the small community of Merton, near Okehampton, has been divided by a decision to ban the production unless its title is changed.

Half the cast have resigned in protest, rehearsals have been suspended, and the local author, Bob Harrod, has pulled out, blaming political correctness.

The seven asylum seekers all have the name Ali: Chemical Ali, Comical Ali, Back Ali, Dark Ali, Bowling Ali, Ali G, and Ali-Kiss-Angel.

In the pantomime they work illegally at a quarry near Merton and live in "grotty" conditions in a cottage in the woods, where they are portrayed as living off baked beans and never bathing.

Anxious about the show, the village hall's management committee took advice from the Commission for Racial Equality, the Devon and Exeter Racial Equality Council, and the Community Council for Devon.

Last week, although the village hall committee had not officially seen the script, it asked Mr Harrod to change his title.

"We were not happy with the title, as family entertainment, because it was racially insensitive," explained Tim Horner, chairman.

"We are a registered charity and we have to act as a public body. People could understand the quandary we were in." He added that he understood that half the cast had resigned.

The advice received from race relations bodies did not suggest the title was illegal, but it warned that as a charitable body the committee "had a duty to act in an inclusive and non-discriminatory way".

In the pantomime, the Queen orders Snow White to be executed but she escapes into the woods. There she is taken in by the asylum seekers, whose home she cleans up.

The Queen finds her and tries to kill her with a poisoned apple. In the final scene she is revived by a kiss from Prince Charles, who turns up at her funeral after being dumped by Camilla.

Mr Harrod, 55, introduced pantomimes to the village - population 200 - when he moved to Devon five years ago. They have raised around £5,000 for the village hall, church and local charities.

His comedies exploit controversial topics; in past years it was hunting, and foot and mouth disease.

He maintains that his Snow White is more an attack on the government than on asylum seekers, and that he is sympathetic to their plight.

"The people doing the complaining have not even seen the script," he said yesterday. "I'm not changing the title. If you changed the title you would have to change the play.

"There's nothing racist in the pantomime. If we are taking the mickey out of anyone, it's the government.

"The play shows the asylum seekers living in grotty conditions. They work and claim DSS money, which what a lot of people do."

looool, cruel white mentality, but kinda funny!

Curly   

I saw that article today in the metro and walahi I was in fits laughing. I don't think it was meant to be racist at all and the show should be allowed to run, Because I'd definately watch it if I could and I'm sure others would agree too.

N.O.R.F   

I could see you doing some acting in the play, as Aliyet Burcaawi,living on caayd,with sedex buug and two houses, basically ripping the sustem!

looooooooooooooooooooooooooool.....i see the racism. why call asylum seeker ali hebel-hebel?...are muslims the only asylum seeker?....and the other part is the fact that it is a play to be seen by little kids too, if the kids have never met asylums seeker,,,,wont they take the view that these people are outcast, dirty people? hmm?

nice article by the way....hey....i know i havent been in for a while....but i was wondering,,,,did u guys see the article where SOMALI'S WHERE ACUSED OF EATING FAIR-GROUND DONKEYS?

NOW if u saw that article,,,u would wet your pants!

Curly   

yeah we've seen that article...it's really sad!

lol@ northerner oh you're too nice giving me such a big role, I don't think my acting skills are up to it. 'Aliyet' requires someone who can understand her situtation and relate to it on so many different levels.

A woman who has the skills decieve the government into giving her benefit and two houses, bisinka she should be working for Intelligent service. MI5 needs people like her, she's your modern day female verision of James Bond!

007 Xalimo

:D

HONEY-D   

I cant help but laught i wonder whats gonna be the next play beaty and the asylum.

I could see you doing some acting in the play, as Aliyet Burcaawi,living on caayd,with sedex buug and two houses, basically ripping the sustem!

thats one hell of a play i wouldnt miss for the world. :D

Xafsa   

looooool....That would be a very funny play!

Too many people trying to be politically correct makes for a very bland a boring view on things. Let the man do his play....him changing the title or not is not gonna change the way he feels about the subjects of his play.

Blessed   

The Queen finds her and tries to kill her with a poisoned apple. In the final scene she is revived by a kiss from Prince Charles, who turns up at her funeral after being dumped by Camilla.

Akhas! I don't know whats worse, living with dirty Ali's or getting the kiss of life from the 'dhago bacayl' himself :eek:

lol@ Burcaawi Aliyet - that would be some character :D

LooooooL....that's hilarious!

"The seven asylum seekers all have the name Ali: Chemical Ali, Comical Ali, Back Ali, Dark Ali, Bowling Ali, Ali G, and Ali-Kiss-Angel."

Ali-Kiss-Angel? As in Ballykissangel? Clever. :D

Canbaro-LUUL...aka WATER LILIES,

Kaalay naayaa, waad dhuumanaysaa miyaa? Haven't seen hide nor hair of you lately...xagaad ka dhacday? Great to have you back darling! :D

HONEY-D   

Kaalay naayaa, waad dhuumanaysaa miyaa? Haven't seen hide nor hair of you lately...xagaad ka dhacday? Great to have you back darling!

Mizz qarxis aka bee dee waxaan islahaa bee baa meesha kaabo ka ah ee bal ka yara gaabso waa intaasooy kugu saniftaaye. icon_razz.gif

ramadan kariim my dearest. :D

HONEY-D   

i had a message which says the twin towers (bee and twikee) are not to be disturbed at all times so for that warning i kept low profile. ;)

I came back to SOL last nigite so u c darl i wasnt hiding i just wasnt there i wish u could believe me moma. (diregard the last bit i guess ramadaankaa iga keeney). icon_razz.gif

Missed u too dee. :D

Originally posted by WATER LILIES:

Mizz qarxis aka bee dee waxaan islahaa bee baa meesha kaabo ka ah ee bal ka yara gaabso waa intaasooy kugu saniftaaye.
icon_razz.gif

Aah...raali ka noqo qarxiska, but u know bee...can't keep quiet to save her life. :D

Ramadan kariim to u 2 suga.