Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Strangeness and the Strangers; random thoughts

Ibn Qayyim wrote, centuties ago, a very good article about the strangeness that results from being minority Muslim practitioner in an environment where most people dont practice or reflect on the true teachings of Islam or are not muslims.

Ibn Qayyim's article can be found here:

Strangeness and the Strangers

But as i was watching a dvd of Sh. Craxman Sulayman of Jabbuuti, i was struck by his take on this topic. The brother really looks this topic at a different angle in the sense he asserts it’s Islam itself that feels the strangeness of those who claim as its adherents. He cites experiences one gets when shopping in a western grocery vs. shopping in a modern Islamic bazaar. The mucaamalah and customer services that prevails in many non Muslim countries vs . the muran iyo qajajac that's reportedly the norm when engaging transactions in many Muslim lands.

The respect for diversity opinions, the conflict resolution approaches, and the mas’alatu tolerance is another area where i think Islam as a religion contradicts how its supposed adherents behave. In 2004 i went to Nairobi for a brief visit and I really felt the strangeness of the place, especially the neighborhoods Muslims populate. while the business is booming and the place is buzzing with activities (buildings going up, malls opening, and new bacadlaas everywhere), the lack of social responsibility and the sense of detachment was apparent and noticeable. You could see rubbish piling up, broken sewage everywhere, roads are bare paved, boundaries of public property not respected, etc. I mean, with the amount of money exchanges hands, it shouldn't take that much effort to organize and do something about these basic services. Even Mosques are badly maintained and the nadaafah , which a central theme of Islam is hardly practiced.

My friend who come back from the Xaj told me in Madiinah as he was trying to get inline to buy shoes, people were just indifferent the manners he was trying to observe. Wuduuu lines were routinely violated he said, and he just felt out of place. When he went out to buy bear of shoes, the shopkeeber he observed wouldn't care who got there first, he would just sell the shoes to whoever shouts the loudest.

You look at other dealings you would some times question whether people really understand the priorities of Islam. You can see people violate things that are very basic to their faith yet are mulish on other stuff that are not so basic or that pale in comparison to what they violated. I could talk about Somali politics and cite examples of people exhibiting toddler like quality when facing challenges but I guess I could be rightly accused with a political bias, I would pass that one on…

I am just rambling here i guess, so i must stop and ask the question; do you guys see the strangeness i am talking about? Are our priorities misplaced? What does it take to go back the sense of measured balance Islam advocates?

--

Dhaqanka meesha ku xirantahay, ha ahaadaan Muslim mise non-Muslimee. One of the few aspects of Galbeedka's way of life is ixtiraamka nolol bulshadeedkooda. Like lining-up, following the line, respecting others in public, ixtiraamka, kala dambeynta iyo waxaas camal.

Muslims ka koow ugu eg, though, ixtiraam la'aantaan of social disorders.

Shiineeska Olombikada hadda lagu qabanaayo wararkooda ka aqrinaaye a few weeks ago that they banned jidka candhuufta iyo xaaqada lagu tufaayo, which dadka xaga dego caadi la ahayd, in order not to offend some sensibilities of those who are visiting.

Saqajaan   

I think someone has been living in the west for too long, you're perspective is skewed. How significant is nadiif when most people in kenya are poor people? who will pay to have the mosques to be maintained?

Let's be thankful that people in nairobi have a mosque to pray in. Prayer, is more of a priority than lines at the waduu. Concentrating on the petty inconvenience in life is never good friend.

^^^ halkee wax kaa mareen adigu? nadaafat is a convenience to you? trust, truthfulness, compassion and respect for other human beings is convenience to you?

Waar tanoo kale!

Som@li   

Good topic. I honest seen all these you mentioned and more, It is not isolated to Muslim countries but all third world countries, the level of corruption is amazing, nadaamba ma jiro, shoppers don’t know what is marked price, and will cheat you, those who look decent and honest are the biggest thieves, and I had also sense of disappointment, but the main cause I believe is the poverty, The west which so clean is rich, and has moved from backward culture,

I remember in Abu Dhabi, Pakistanis use to spit tobaccos on the roads, and ruined the streets, (law was introduced banning the sale of these tobaccos) or most of the people will throw the rubbish anywhere, while 5 year old kid from Sweden, will carry a Pepsi can for hrs till he/she finds a rubbish bin.

Arrinku maaha nadaafada keliya, macamaaladaka iyaga laftigoodu waad la yaabi wadama qaarkood,

So why all hypocrites are in the developing world?

Nephissa   

Waxad arkaysa dad waawayn rag iyo dumar, oo markay kuu yimaadaan kursida salootada leather-ka ah kaa fagayo. Furo ama farageeto bay ku qodayaan. Walle waa cajiib.

I once went to a muslim women's only swimming-pool, oo Saturdays kaliya la tagi jiray. Waxan oga cararay wasakh kaliya, isla maalinki. Cayaalka diaperka inta ka furaan bay gelinayaan. Ayagana maryihii ay doraad hurdada ooga soo kaceen ayagoo xiran bay gali. The whole pool smelled like bur-saliid + poo within seconds. Akh! Dadkanu nadaafada waa imaanka barkiis looma dhigin miya?

-Lily-   

Warmonger, poverty is not an excuse for low levels of cleanliness. Are you saying a poor person cannot keep clean? You usually don’t need money to keep your front yard clean.

The Islamic character, as observed by our beloved Prophet (s.a.w.) is of uttermost importance. Ultimately is it not our character that we are judged on? If you are not giving others their due rights (pushing in the que in front of others who were there before you), what does that say about you? Similarly, I was under the impression that the environment was entrusted to humans by God, it does not belong to us and should be treated with respect & care.

Replacing the significant with the insignificant is a serious slip towards ignorance.

p.s. Nephy that sounds awful!

^^wise words there ya Lily.

Wormonger is missing the point here. Granted my write up is not the most coherent one (i was trying to gather scattered thoughts of mine to capture the essense of that xaddith), but you should at least understand the point I am trying to make here bro/sister(which ever you are).

In almost every aspect of our life, the strengeness of Islam is felt. Look at how we manage things, how we approach confidentiality, how lightly we take laws, and how we do mucaamalah and deal with each other, and deal with other nonMuslims. Forget who stayed long in the west and who is not. Just think along those lines and give your two cents...

edit: General Zu i await your take on this.

Laba-X   

Xiinow, Thats what happens when we forget the hereafter and compete for worldy pleasure. We have become as the prohphet mentioned 'Quthaa ka Quthaai Sayl'

^ LX, i think it's more than that. perhaps it has something to do with what we focus on or those in the dacwah majaal focus on. The focus has been on the theological stuff and not on the basic mucaamaalaat and akhlaaqiyaas, i think.

Saqajaan   

Lilly

No, the point was cleanliness may not be a poor person's most urgent priority, they may not keep clean as much as they would like. Expecting people who live in slums to keep there slums clean to perfection is nonsense, dadka waxey awoodaan ha sameyeen and that's it.

Also, remember that patience(sabr) is encouraged in islam at all times, so instead of complaining and whining about how someone went ahead of you. It's best one thinks of the more important things. Also, The environment is a gift to us and we should use it to it's full capacity.

Miriam1   

No its ramblings at all,

I have some family from arabs staying here this summer, I almost died from embarrasment and shock when we went out to dinner a few days ago to a somewhat posh Indian restraunt....how rudely they treated the servers, shooing them away with thier hands, and yelling if they forget the baris!

As if they weren't people...looking down at them...even though they were hardworking people and earned thier money in a halal way!

It's not strange that we feel more comfortable in the streets of Toronto perhaphs, than in Dubai...with all the mosques around people tend to forget how to even treat each other

Miriam1   

Originally posted by Warmonger:

[QB

Also, remember that patience(sabr) is encouraged in islam at all times, so instead of complaining and whining about how someone went ahead of you. It's best one thinks of the more important things. [/QB]

Isn't there a limit to one's sabr though?

When its ones in a while perhaps, but in certain places there is such a lack of respect that people go anywhere they wish. The lady in the Abaya, or the man in the Thob gets served first...and Filipino last...its indoctrinated in the culture