Sign in to follow this  
Lost-One

Tragic incident

Lost-One   

A young Somali youth was hospitalised on the morning of Sunday 11th June 2006 at 6.30 am after allegedly being beaten on the 230 bus by 5 or 6 white men. The attack happened a few stops from Tottenham Hale station after which his battered body was thrown from the bus and found by a passer-by. The bus driver failed to stop or inform the emergency services and due to lack of sufficient evidence the driver was released by the police. The 21 year old victim is now in an intensive care unit in a hospital in North London in a condition that doctors and nurses have described as “hopelessâ€. He suffered serve haemorrhaging to his brain, his spinal column was broken in four places and is currently being kept alive by machines.

Relatives and friends who are still in shock have all described him as a quiet and timid individual who always avoided confrontations. To their disbelief they now only await the inevitable but his family are adamant that for once the Somali community in London should unite against the injustices committed against them on what seems to be a regular basis.

Not only has this incident been completely ignored by the local media who regularly report crimes committed by Somalis but the police are still not taking the case seriously. In fact four days on and still no CCTV footage has been recovered from the bus and no statements have been made. I for one can not help but think had this been a white teenager or even a non-muslim youth that I would have heard about it sooner.

I can only come to the conclusion that with all the flag waving we’ve seen over the last couple of weeks nationalism has up rooted this deep hatred. Let’s face it the odds are against us after all we’re not only black but we’re Muslim and refugees!

I’m tired of hearing “Somalis are all talk†and I want to see some justice!

(The aim of this post was to raise awareness and more information about the victim’s details will follow inshallah, as I would like to start a petition once the matter is raised with local MP’s)

That's awful...am really sorry to hear of it. Ilaahay ha u fududeeyo the victim and his family.

Of course you are completely right, Lost-One. Violence against Somalis by far outstrips violence committed by Somalis, but the media is never interested in reporting the other side. That would be too fair. I suppose highlighting cases where we are the victims would interfere with the image of violent, lawless terrorists they have been busy peddling on our behalf.

Keep us informed please.

-Lily-   

There are many venues that they can use to challenge the police, all talk and no action.

May Allah ease his pain & the family's.

Paragon   

May Allah help this young man. There are alot like him that end up in hospitals without the knowledge of either relatives or Somalis at all.

The media and the met may keep this sort of news silent but I am sure with a little creativity, we can make very loud, effective and informative noises.

We just need few things: an individual with sufficient communication skills -dressed in a presentable fashion- and a self-styled PR and guerrilla film-making crew. Produce ad hoc news via dedicated sites, video and posters- and soon enough you will get the attention of all. I know it isn't very pretty the way I put it, but it is just an idea.

Ibtisam   

There was no one on the bus, but him and the driver, he had an argument with the driver (No one knows what was really said, the door opened, while the bus was still in motion and he flew out into the road. The driver denies they argued and instead says that he come running down from upstairs, press the emergence button while the bus was moving and flew out. There is only one witness, who saw him fall from the moving bus. CCTV footage is being looked at by police and the driver is out on bail. He’s condition remains unchanged in hospital. May Allah have mercy on him, and help him regain his health and strength. :(

Peace out.

Naden   

Originally posted by Paragon:

We just need few things: an individual with sufficient communication skills -dressed in a presentable fashion-

Definitely. Somalis in Canada could use some of this advice as well. It's frustrating to see how disorganized we are in dealing with the media. I often notice other ethnic/immigrant communities using spokespeople who are fluent in the language, presentable in appearence and most importantly, able to handle obtuse and sensationalizing questions from reporters.

With Somalis, the closest rag tag person who stares at the camera, licks his/her lips, and plugs a mom-and-pop community center says whatever they please in broken English. Sleazy local newscasters also seem to avoid the younger or more learned members of the community when looking for interviewees. :rolleyes:

DraGon   

Qoute:

"Sleazy local newscasters also seem to avoid the younger or more learned members of the community when looking for interviewees"

I believe its more of the above.

Somalis in London should take the personal initiative and start writing to media outlets about your frustration. In the late 90's in Canada Somalis had an image problem in the media, and noting that the community was an easy target me and a friend met with some of the editors and expressed our concern, and everytime we read some biased news we will write and complain. I understand its good to have a community spokesman but knowing Somalis I think we are a decade behind becoming such sophisticated.

Lost-One   

Allahu naxaristo he died on the 17th June, yesterday morning.

I sincerly hope the people/person who was to blame for this are caught and get what they deserve. In this life and the here after!

Mashallah he was good guy and he didn't deserve to go that way, but Allah has a greater design for us all. May Allah grant him jenna...Ameen

KEYNAN22   

Originally posted by ibtisam:

There was no one on the bus, but him and the driver, he had an argument with the driver (No one knows what was really said, the door opened, while the bus was still in motion and he flew out into the road. The driver denies they argued and instead says that he come running down from upstairs, press the emergence button while the bus was moving and flew out. There is only one witness, who saw him fall from the moving bus. CCTV footage is being looked at by police and the driver is out on bail. He’s condition remains unchanged in hospital. May Allah have mercy on him, and help him regain his health and strength.
:(

Peace out.

Is it posible that the bus driver was the one who killed him and later made up the story of this white male group?? I bet the bus driver was Jamaican, i hear Jamaicans in london despise somali youth. my scenario of the incident is that the bus driver drove to a remote place and beated the hell out of him , then came back to his normal route and threw him out of the bus, in a spot on his normal route where he thought they were no people at that time. I don't buy this bast#rd 's story, they should conduct a very close investigation on him.

-Lily-   

He died? How can someone be beaten on a bus and no one will come to their aid? Not even the driver? He should be arrested and charged with manslaughter at the very least.

Lost-One   

Sorry can I just straighten out the facts!

The bus driver didn't chuck him out of the bus while it was moving...is that even physically possible?! (be logical)

The bus driver who is Mauritius claims the victim threw himself out of the bus, but why would anyone do that? Unless they were running away from something.

It was 6:30am so not that many people were on the bus if any. And the story about the 5/6 white men was something the victim said from his own mouth while he was in and out of consciousness, so we're not even sure that was reliable.

ScarFace   

^^^what was he doing 6:30am in the morning.....Just wondering? and how comes he fell from the bus while it was moving if no one chucked him out.....probably he was drunk out of his head.........

Lost-One   

^^^^

Have you lost you mind! How can you speak ill of the dead in that manner. Instead of paying your respects or say a prayer you choose to make accusations instead. Subxannallah have you got a tin can instead of a heart?

You don't know the first thing about him! Mashallah he was good guy and was even reading the Qur'an before he went into a coma. He had just returned from his married brother’s house after playing video games for most of the night. His brother asked for him to stay on for breakfast but he declined and was on his way back to his family house when it happened. I didn't think I needed to go into all this detail

But you’ve left me with no choice. Walahi it makes me sick to my stomach to think you could have assumed such a thing. Have you no shame?