Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Do u fit this profile?

^ Not really. If you work and save hard, you will be able to pay off your initial debts. But you won't be able to buy a house/car or anything else major without going right back into debt.

Even if you manage to work yourself into an early grave.

B,

You seriously dont think I'm goin to waste a joule of energy writing something as failing as that, do you? No. :rolleyes:

Now if you'll kindly excuse me, I would like to take leave of this thread

Baashi   

Phanta,

That might be the case in GB but here in America you can actually get out of debt, buy a house and a car, live the life to the fullest and debt free as well. There is a reason why people flock to America. Let me qualify that statement. Suppose you went to U of M for BS degree. In Minnesota, the State pays 53% if you are state resident, add that the federal dollars known as Bell Grant and about 70% of your school expenses are paid.

Now, you can get scholarships, and also Work study program. The work study program is like dream come true kinda program. About 70% of your wages are billed to the U and the employer pays only 30% of the expenses provided it’s no-profit or community related organization. You can easily get a job within the university confines between your courses. In other words you take your course schedule to whateva departments that hired you, and u will be given the flexibilty enables you to avoid any conflict of eschedule that may arise.

Also there is the subsidized loan where you get loans without interest as long as you are full time student. However, you are required to pay back with interest after graduation and grace period. What more can one ask!

Bye Ms. A...it's been a pleasure having convo with u without any xagxagasho ;)

LoL.

So your advice is for pre-university Americans? Charming. What about the rest of us? You know, those of us who've already finished and in the process amassed a significant amount of debt; who still want to have a good standard of living and own their own property; who've got crappy jobs (or no jobs for that matter) in an outrageously expensive city?

Eh?

Baashi   

^ :D u are not the only one with degree but u r the only one with debt that's bordering to become unmanageable icon_razz.gif

Still there are so many things that u can do if u r prepared to make the painful choices that are necessary to get out of this hole. For one u must learn to live within ur means. Move out to unexpensive city. Get a second job. Cut all ur plastic cards into pieces. Quit shopping excessively.

The choices are many but one must realize first that being in debt is an unacceptable position to be in. Once u got that thru ur head then u will be receptive and actually appreciative that I'm raising this issue.

Brown/Green: and I suppose you are Mr Bright, pointing me to the light

*My Thank You.*. You notice the positives in me eh?. I could really care less anyways.

Moving along.....

If you would've been so smart as to read between the lines, you would've noticed I was just being dramatic and that was all there was to it. But no, there you go assuming the worst and poking your lil red nose into places it's not meant to be...War dee bas...

Now Backpeddling here arent we?! Seriously What could possibly be hidden in that post you had previously?.

Between the lines you said?,God these lines :rolleyes: ,where are they when you need to see them? .If anything you were very clear.You just prooved me right about your sensitivity.

Dear, Grow/borrow a spine and stand up will ya?. Actually scracht that since am not into the advising business. ;)

there you go assuming the worst and poking your lil red nose into places it's not meant to be...War dee bas...

Assuming?, actually i was right on the money(going with the theme here bashi!), about your Sensitivity.Tsk Tsk Tsk....And oh yea My Nose is not Red, Its green. icon_razz.gif

UD.LoooL. way to go son.Knock the crap outta anything that moves.....

Rahima   

Bashi, Bashi, you have ruined my day :( , made me miserable, had me wake up to my amassed debt over the past 4 years, add this year and that becomes five.

Inshallah this will be the final year of my double-degree (yep which means I have more debt than the average xalima), then off to graduate school (I have to so as to get to where I want). Even worse if all goes well, I might head off to graduate medicine (another 30,000 or so).

I’ve been working for as long as I can remember, yet somehow have almost nothing to show for it :eek: , and i'm not even a shopaholic :confused: .

I have to get smart about my money; this has gone on long enough. Only 21 and enough debt to make me have a heart attack.

Much appreciated Bashi, but we might need your reminder in a few months or so before we slack off again ;) .

Miriam1   

Being smart about your money in univ years is like taking on another job, its something you have to constantly worry about, for a student who is trying to balance, large course load,a job, family responsibilities, and have some kind of a normally functioning social life, AND, begining to network, which means volunteering, attending conferences, and so on...worrying about ur debt is something that escapes most, you can get the money now, and thats what matters...what happens 4 yrs down the road is what happens then!

My bit of advice, start looking at ur college and its services, ask, what can this school u pay so much to, offer YOU. there are so many things that are hidden...

I can't stand seeing, univ students so deadly worried about thier loans that they take a year or two off to work and pay it off, taking time off is like, its so difficult taking time off and geting back into school and its problems, let alone the time wasted, how long do the 20's last !

Naturally i fit the profile, what i found to be the greatest is being labelled as a "low" income student in my school..even though according to me..i am quite rich! lol...but cause of htat labelling i have access to all these student programs..like working 5 hrs a week and getting a decduction of 2500 on my tution fee's, and all the scholarships!

So in reality my loans dont amount to that, something that i wouldnt find to hard paying off when i start getting paid 80K a year...(we can dream)

Pujah   

Originally posted by Baashi:

You are:

1. Young, fabulous, and broke.

2. In debt (student loans, credit cards, car payment, etc)

3. In denial to the sorry situation u r in.

4. Indifferent to your financial future.

5. Content in just getting by.

what if you belong in more than one of the category...then what does that make you

me don't like the bum idea

Baashi- I have managable loan from bachelor degree,so that shouldn't be problem and hopefully I will find an employer willing to pick the tab for my graduate.She got good points though.

One thing though, Loans do help you build a good credit history of coarse provided that you reimburse the lenders in timely manner.

Xoogsade   

Originally posted by Baashi:

You are:

1- Yes to young, and yes to broke all year round. Can a guy be fabulous though? I wanted to say yes but hesitated. Does the word sound more feminine horta?

2- No debts. My education is currently covered by the company I work for. Never took a car on a loan but paid cash. I shredded all credit cards I had except one that I might use in case of emergency like Renting a car for longer distance travels and pay as soon as I bring the car back to the rental agency before interest kicks in. All solicitations from credit companies go directly to the shredder.

3- My situation is obviously not bad.

4- I make tolerable amount of money but it is not my choice to keep. So I can hardly plan for the future. May be some other day.

5- Very content in getting by.

Diamante.

Some of the people come across as passionate when they reply. A little war of words without degradation and insults isn't bad at all :D It can be attractive. Haven't you noticed the sparkle between Underdog and Ame-girl? I enjoyed their exchange lol.

You are:

reply: i aint broke, i invest wisely!!

reply: no, i didnt take no student loan! i paid my school doing odd job!! i am against student upto day!! i owe zero!!

Reply, i am doing fine! my property is okey!

Reply: i am healthy and getting by!!

reply: isnt everyone just getting by! we could be gone tomorrow!! :confused:

u gotta not listen to man and do your thing!! plz

see a lot of info before jump in any thing!! do your home work!! otherwise, u be left holding the bag!! :confused:

Xoogsade   

Rudy, very smart of you saxib to have never taken a student loan. My advice to college freshmen and women is, most likely you fall within the category of the poor. Don't work full-time but part time, be patient with the lack of amenities and tough college life while you are at school, and through Pell-grant(free money), you can at least get a two year Degree everywhere in America.