Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Do u fit this profile?

Pacifist   

For the students now

Have you heard of Scholarships...Tons of freebies out there.

www.fastweb.com or org is it don't remember.

I have been working fulltime ever since my freshman year in college. I pay cash for my junior college from my fulltime job. All my credit cards are in two pieces. Lets remember though they have interest and its harm. Except for the Citi ones that have 0%. Don't take loans make it your last option if none. If you are buried in debt try Credit counselors ..... They will cut your debt in half...Except for students loans, But credit cards and such they do a very good job I heard.. In the summer instead of going on vacations and stacking up on more debt get a second job. Pay it off. Be smart every paycheck you get put at least $50 or more aside. Put them on to CD's. Thats all I can think of now.

Originally posted by Green:

Sheherezade.!
quote:Let's stay positive, please. I have good news. I made a decent amount of money today- aside from the boring day job- and I didn't even do anything! Delegation, gotta love it. I'll give some of it incharity, inshallah. I'm encouraged.

No enthusiasm for anything us Somalis!! Anybody else have anything positive to add to Bashi's post?

^Yes. I do Have Something Positive to say. The concept of 'beating one's own drum'[in regards to making decent amounts of money], is not something that is quite fitting in this topic.

Phanta. I dont need Diamente's attention. :eek:
LOL. And the green-eyed monster rears its predictable head.

Sweetie, listen carefully. If u can't handle hearing someone else doing well it's because u're not working to your full potential. So save your energy for some self-improvement.

The money I've made isn't huge and it isn't small, alhamdullilah. I made it by being smart and taking advantage of assistance offered to me. Mentioning my little success is not beating my drum- it is a fact- and sharing it may encourage someone to get off their Somali backside and do something creative that may lead to financial independence while providing a service to society. All my skills are a gift from Allah and I'm doing something with them.

P.S: I made some more money while you were adding nothing to this post.

What a Somali attribute it is to shoot down those that speak of doing well. Is it a wonder we hardly have role models?

Baashi   

Howdy folks,

It’s Monday morning...another day in paradise! Today, the message is to be in a better position financially.

Rahima right on sis. Here is a fitting bumber sticker. Stick it on the mirror: If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.

Originally posted by Baashi:

^
:D
u are not the only one with degree but u r the only one with debt that's bordering to become unmanageable
icon_razz.gif

Still there are so many things that u can do if u r prepared to make the painful choices that are necessary to get out of this hole. For one u must learn to live within ur means. Move out to unexpensive city. Get a second job. Cut all ur plastic cards into pieces. Quit shopping excessively.

The choices are many but one must realize first that being in debt is an unacceptable position to be in. Once u got that thru ur head then u will be receptive and actually appreciative that I'm raising this issue.

No doubt you are right about the problem of being in debt in general. However, student loans are not such an issue as far as I can see. A maximum of two years of hard graft will sort out most student debts. The problem, as I view it, is staying out of debt. Do you see where am going with this?

Sure, we can make all the short-term sacrifices needed to pay back our current borrowings, but what about the long term? How should one stay out of debt and still enjoy a good standard of living? Surely we cant go on living in grotty yet expensive bedsits (or worse still living with your parents in your late 20s and 30s :eek: ) and eating beans-on-toast indefinitely, can we? Now, this isnt to say that its ok to bank-roll a luxurious lifestyle with loans/credit cards, of course, but there must be a middle ground somewhere.

Lets just hope that ground isnt somewhere in the USA, coz that would be tragique.

PS: Did you say 'quit shopping excessively'? God, if you only knew! :(

Baashi   

Phanta,

I see where you r going with this and I concur that staying out of debt is the bottom line here. Once one attains the short-term goal (paying the debt), one has laid, in essence, the groundwork for the long term goals (staying out of being in debt). In order to get to that level, the most important thing one can do is to learn how to live within one’s own means. Trying to maintain a lifestyle you can’t afford is a big mistake. You see sis our income pretty much determines what sort of living standard we are going to adopt.

Tuujiye   

Waraa Baashi sxb kaalay adiga qash qashaada naga daa nooh...schooleey hadaa tahay oo baaga muundo tahay oo wili baabuur leedahay, waa ogtahay in aan ku jirno waxaan nooh....Ciyaal iskaabulo a ugu talagashay in aa ka jijibisid..sxb naga ganbiso nooh....War ani profilekaaga aan shan wax kale kusii dare markaan arkay kaaga...naxdinta aduunka musqusha aan ku cararay....school lee ha iga dhamaado..Aaaaaaaaaa..iga tagay xabadka aa i xanuunee...

wareer badanaa!!!

Baashi, I heard that there some Islamic banks in America which offer interest-free student loans to their members. Is it true and how does it work?

P.S. Locations? Are there any in Canada?

Baashi   

Lonely Dreamer...reminds me “...u may say I’m dreamer, but I’m not the only one, I hope one day u join us, And world will be in one!â€. And BTW good signature u have there.

Now, I don’t know about any Islamic Banks with student loan programs. If they are out there, I’m not aware of their existence. The little I know about this issue is that there are investment, business, and real estate Islamic businesses. I was just listening NPR the other (during commute) and there it was, the reporter was interviewing business CEO somewhere in NY about the impact 911 had on the “ever growing†Islamic-based finance. If I get more info on this, I’ll make sure u have that info.

~Reminder~

The man who always knows how, will always have a job. The man who also knows why will always be his boss.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Create your own business, regardless how humble it is, and be the one who knows why, the one who employs people. If you are not planning or looking for an opportunity you won’t simply get there.

shyhem   

Bashi

Create your own business, regardless how humble it is, and be the one who knows why, the one who employs people. If you are not planning or looking for an opportunity you won’t simply get there.

I definately agree with you.Two yrs ago i was a student and a broke one. I had to choose btw paying rent and tution.I payed my own tution for almost two yrs,but that was it for me.I had good grades in school,however i was always broke and sometimes didn't even had money for lunch.

As much as i loved education,i had to do something about my financial situation.I quit school and picked a second job.I saved enough money and moved to California where i enrolled in a truck driving school.I worked for some companies as a driver and saved some money the hard way.

From there on,together with a relative of mine we started our own small company.Right now i'm in town due to some technical problems.In the meantime, instead of sitting around, im already doing two jobs.Not necessary close to what i expect from the truck next yr which is btw $100,000-140,000, but nevertheless money i badly need right now.

Inshaalah i will be back to school in two or three yrs.By then i want to have aphoto of my own mansion in my wallet built with cash.

Here in America right now, i have a sense of urgency.America has been good to me but i can't take America for granted. I was born in a village in Africa.Furthermore, when and if my somali azz is deported back to the village, i surely do not want to regret about my past work habit! and plus imagine trying to explain to my folks in the village what on earth i was doing in the old USA.I will be looked down as the dumb lazy man who never took advantage of the opportunity America presented to him.I don't want that to happen to anyone, and certainly i don't want to be that guy going back to the village empty handed.

Baashi   

Righ on hommie! Keep it up the good work buddy. You certainly know where you are going and how to get there. That is what makes world round sxb. Still I want you to have the education if you can as they say good businessman will do much better with education. You know if and when you want to persuade investors (assuming you get to that level), having credentials can make a world of difference. I’m very proud of you sxb. Make sure it’s Halal.

Rahima   

Shyhem,

At the very least you are an inspiration to many, at the very best you are one exceptionally hard-working thinking individual-all of which you are smile.gif .

I have to say you are one very impressive young man, we could all learn a few things from your achievements. Rarely do people think in such modes, to see a young Somali making progress in such ways is refreshing :cool: .

America is very different from where I reside, Australia, but nonetheless three of my friends and I are making progress in a business which has been in the works for some time- the only issue is finding enough time to make it fruit to the maximum, but inshallah after I graduate it shall be full steam ahead- I just hope that things go just as well for us.

Once again, very proud of you brother and May Allah give you success in your endeavors, business and otherwise. But like Baashi, I too advice you, make sure you keep it halal ;) as it has become so hard these days.

underdog   

I have a suggestion. How about creating a Somali Students Relief Fund?

Even though everyone can't be helped, If we work together we can provide assistance to high achieving graduates.

Check out the Math:

*100 volunteers

*$100 per Month

Thats $120,000 a yr

We screen candidates right here on SOL and those who qualify get 25% to 50% of their student loans paid.

Now think in terms of the fund volunteers: Social service organisations, dadweenaha somaliyeed, Local business owners who would eventually benefit from a more educated youth demographic. 100 people in every Somali populated city is very realistic.

So can we share some practical solutions?

There's no 'text book' cure for this. This is what Financial institutions do...their stock and trade...bleed you slowly and keep you on the hook for as long as they can. They've perfected it.

If you honestly think you'll play by their rules and win, think again. Radical thinking is needed.

Groups for 4 or 5 loyal friends and/or relatives can make a pact to expediate payment on one persons debt while everyone else defaults...five people can pay off $25,000 in a year without hurting to much....and the next year you pay off member number 2 and so on.

If you must do it alone, I said it before PAY NO ONE until you have the funds to pay it all....if you're still living the "minimum due" life then none of this probably makes sense to you (you're still pluged into the matrix). Credit ratings fix themselves so don't worry about them.