Sign in to follow this  
lol

Swapping of Ideas!

lol   

Aight ladies we can help each other in swapping ideas. I mean we can support one another be it in fashion, food, akhlaaq, relationship etc... and since the admin isnt giving us our own private forum.. maybe we can do that in this thread... I maybe the one who started it but its YOURS ladies..

Here is my dilemma:

I am invited to attend a wedding, where everyone will be wearing the traditional clothes...I want to wear my beautiful dirac but keep my Hijab on and I don't know how.. I hate when they wear the garbasaar as Hijab... it looks funny. My mom suggested that I wear a business jacket on top to cover up and wear a matching hijab.. but that kills it..coz its not dirac any more..

Any suggestions?

dawoco   

Sis girls here that wear the hijab on weddings wear ilyar or malqabad that is the same colour as their dirac in a somali fashion, u know, having it front to back and making it stand like faadumo qaasin wears her shaash. Then the garbasaar is worn to cover the neck and the front, while your dahab can still be visible. The overal effect is quite nice and pretty.

There is this girl, a far far cousin i suppose, she refused to have her hair on show on her wedding, which was very admirable. She had her dress and everything, and it was women only event, but she stuck to her principles.

Pucca   

pick out a malgabad (pardon my awful somali)that suites your dirac and like dawoco said wrap the garbasaar around your neck and shoulders.

ps.just out of curiosity...why would you wear a hijab to an all girls wedding?

^Because there would be vidoe camera's and pictures would be taken...and God knows who will watch them. You know somali's trade wedding vidoes even if they have no clue who the bride & groom are.

Hibo, the gabasar is perfect, truly lovely, whats wrong with wearing it? I had the same dilema a while back...my mother made this dirac with long sleeves :eek: & it wasn't see through...sparkly & colourful...but in the end...honestly it looked great. Then I used the gabasar as the head covering.

Modesty   

Hibo, I would suggest you wear a dress( you can even design your dress at a sewing place) or buy one, and wear a small and matching head scarf, it will look both dressy yet modest. Alot of girls do that where i live nowadays!! Dirac is cute, but if you want to cover up it's not going to work because it's so see through! *wink wink**

Emerald   

Hibo the business jacket/long blazer doesn't look half bad with a dirac, so don't write off the idea so fast. Having said that, this look would work best you're reasonably tall, then the beautiful dirac is visible from waist downwards depending on the length of the jacket (i prefer the mid-length jacket as it covers everything). Be sure to wear the gabasar over the jacket to show it off along with the ilyaar underneath the gabasar, covering your head and neck. This way not one bit of your chest/stomach area will show. And another thing don't close the jacket, just bring the sides together and slighty lower the fold of the dirac on the neck for the dahab to make its appearance, if done properly this should cover your entire body, leaving you modest and beautiful at the same, you''ll have all the ladies sighing 'Oh my,i could have covered up and still looked elegeant'.

I hope this helped.

Nephissa   

Wear Abaya on top of your dirac. Preferrebly one that opens all the way down with splits on the sides and back. It covers your body, yet shows your dirac and Gorgorad from the knees down. (It should be easy to find pretty one if you'r still in Dubai.) And wear the Garbasaar like a Hijaab. Simple and elegant me thinks.

Whatever you do No Jacket please :rolleyes:

Saalixa   

Dawaco,

the malaqabad i know only covers your hair, and even not that sometimes because of its small size. What about hibo's neck and ears, they are too cawro!

I think You should wear a matching shalmad and even if you don't have one you can mix and match. I always like black dirac and a white or pink garbasaar. Just beautiful. If you wear a scarf it will be ugly because it is not as big and you would need a jacket. But the shalmad is very applicable since then it is just two peace set and not three and hadii aad si wacan uu hiratoo it can be amazingly stuning. Too bad i cannot be there to help you with the dressing but as i hear you already a professional at these sort of things. Like a wedding planner.

Saalixa   

Bishaaro i have just seen your suggestion. Sis what is the point of wearing a dirac if you are going to cover it all the way to your knees. What a waist of a new $150 set! Like these days the trade is running tight and it cost dinars i tell ya the normal wiil djibouti dirac in diaspora you would otherwise afford to buy every thursday night in stock in djibouti. So i will suggest Hibo to show off her golden set elegantely and of course with skills.

Smilezz that is not going to happen. TO many times me has fallen for that and to many a times i was heart broken. You know the somali lies. THey tell ya they will cut off the part you are in and then show to the whole town including ur ceelo! and by the time it has reached you it has reached the thousands of somali nomads in the diaspora regions including men who sit for a kat on afternoons and cannot have it so without a somali wedding playing on thier V-CR.

lol   

Thanks ladies, and they wonder why I love my gurls :D

I don't wear gold, ironic isn't it given that i live in UAE. But I am miss pearls...and so far I have managed to indulge myself with a small diamond earings.. which I might add I am so proud of.. but gold is not my thing...

I have till wednesday to find something to wear... so I will use all your ideas.. and let u in on wat worked best.. I might even mix n match ur ideas... sounds good to me...

But on a serious note Thanks sisters...

Pucca   

not much of an idea but it sure is a helpful warning. DO NOT USE HENNA IF YOUR HAIR IS COLORED! be warned ladies...when hair is colored the henna makes it dry...trust me on that one.

one learns from their mistakes...thought i might share that with you incase you ever think of using henna on colored hair...

ta ta