Sign in to follow this  
-Lily-

Graduating and finding work

FatB   

from my expirance finding a job (other fast food outlest) is a frustrating task.

^^all of you people talk about Co-op and internship, before graduation! but that alone is frustrating enough to get

Guhaad   

^anything more specific than what is provided, i really don't know man! though i am in the xamaali industry, i still got a click of what the other side is about, or how to go about it. so, brotha, what you need is not a pointer, but a reread. redface.gif

Ain't it a great time to be a white man. ARGH.

One thing though; I've seen how the Indian and Chinese community help each other so much...Somalis should adopt that attitude instead of being so competitive and each trying to better the other and keeping info (some which they don't even need) to themselves out of spite. Is caawiya. Helping someone does not take anything away from you.

Naden   

Amen :( . Even greater being a white woman. Affirmative action's been busting down doors for them since the 70s.

Somalis number in the tens of thousands in Ontario and you'd be hardpressed to find professional associations that provide mentorship or even reference letters.

Originally posted by Kooleey:

Ain't it a great time to be a white man. ARGH.

ScarFace   

we now have a university League system. So the poor students who thought they would get better jobs will now get a certificate and the same job that they were always destined to get. i.e farah ----------->night shift/ taxi and halimo----->will be at home cooking redface.gif As usual it will be the rich folks that can afford to work the system i.e me, myself and I will get all the nice jobs and the rest will get the crumbs.

horta how many rich somali farah's go to oxford university apart from me :D:D

Well Somalis, don't be so hard on each other. Rememeber we are not even the first generations prober yet. so hold some hope for the young ones who are currently going through the system am sure they will be able to work the system since they will have us as a reference and maybe we can guide them through .. we had no-one , no parents who went to uni in UK or has a prober proffesion to guide us the ways and maybe sort us some vital work exepriance.

or Nomads you can just invest in me .. am sure i'll make great returns for your investment or maybe run away with the money ..

Ibtisam   

^lool :D:D

Blessed; i know, but there is no time; all i do is study, seven days a week, 24/7; <<<lool yeah right :D supposedly that’s what i do, it feels like it too. Anyway i don't have the time to look for a JOB now!! With my dissertation still sitting on my desk :mad: redface.gif

sometimes i Think What is teh Bloody Point; it is not like having a degree means much! :confused:

Sorry a desserdation does not get you a job, i rememeber when i freshie out of uni, always used to cite my dessertation project, but after three years i be lucky if i even mention the degree.. experiance my dear that wat is gold .. so u better start looking noow .. and quickly

ScarFace   

Originally posted by Yahoo_UK:

Sorry a desserdation does not get you a job, i rememeber when i freshie out of uni, always used to cite my dessertation project, but after three years i be lucky if i even mention the degree.. experiance my dear that wat is gold .. so u better start looking noow .. and quickly

yahoo_UK well said expereince is gold i know certain people who graduated with top degree's and they still havent got a job.....

ibtisam dont worry gurl i got a contract for you when you graduate..... :D:D;) how does £30k sound :eek:

Graduates 'not fit for workplace', claims Johnson

Press Association

Monday February 20, 2006

Boris Johnson: 'It's terrifying'

Some university graduates "cannot even have a sustained conversation", according to the shadow minister for higher education, Boris Johnson.

The Henley MP made the remark ahead of Student Volunteering Week 2006, which he is officially launching today at Westminster.

On his website he said: "Too many graduates are simply not ready for the workplace, and it is terrifying to discover that some of them cannot even have a sustained conversation."

His comments were made in response to a survey by the Association of Graduate Recruiters earlier this month which Mr Johnson claimed showed too many graduates lacked basic skills for work.

However, Graham Allcott, director of the charity Student Volunteering England, said students who volunteer have "higher levels of teamwork, leadership and time management".

He added: "If the top firms really want better graduates, perhaps they should invest more in supporting student volunteering programmes.

"With the chancellor, Gordon Brown, currently offering to match funding for those who do, and Conservative leader David Cameron also keen on the idea, we're excited that this issue is high on the public agenda."

The event is being held at Portcullis House.

full story

N.O.R.F   

Some of you are sounding like a bunch of defeatists. Get a grip and change your outlook on life. Be confident in whatever you do and have POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE!

On his website he said: "Too many graduates are simply not ready for the workplace, and it is terrifying to discover that some of them cannot even have a sustained conversation."

So true, can one have a conversation (with good grammer and pronounciation) without - saying you get me?

Some of you need to change your attitudes and go out and get it, you have one life to live. Have no regrets!

ps - practice your 'professional' english! ;)

N.O.R.F   

Some of you are sounding like a bunch of defeatists. Get a grip and change your outlook on life. Be confident in whatever you do and have POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE!

So true, can one have a conversation (with good grammer and pronounciation) without - saying you get me?

Some of you need to change your attitudes and go out and get it, you have one life to live. Have no regrets!

ps - practice your 'professional' english! ;)

Guhaad   

Ibtisam,

i ain't mad at you. you only look for work when you graduate. but remember, internships are part of your schooling, and your future. even this sounds late, you didn't use that opportunity, so don't miss up your school too. brotherly advice from the Xamaali headquarters :cool:

Ibtisam   

^^why would you be mad at me :D i don't remember doing anything :confused:

i have 6months experience in House of Commons and 1year in voluntary non governmental organisation.

so i guess i did do something in those three years i was stuck at uni :D

Ahura

i know, just... :D

ScarFace

i don't know, depends on what you have to offer :D