Sign in to follow this  
nafta

Million Dollar Homepage

nafta   

Last square sold on $1m website

Alex is on target to graduate with a million dollars in his bank account

A student has sold the last piece of advertising space on his website selling a million pixels for $1m.

Alex Tew, 21, of Cricklade, Wiltshire, launched milliondollarhomepage.com before going to Nottingham University to study business management.

It took him 20 minutes to come up with the idea and five months to sell the blocks of advertising space - the last was sold on Wednesday.

He embarked on the scheme after his brother left university owing £30,000.

The website has a grid of 10,000 boxes, each 100 pixels (10 by 10) in size.

Customers could place advertising logos on the purchased space, linking web users to their own websites.

Alex said: "I thought there must be an idea which can make me money fast.

"I literally had a month before I started university and I really didn't want to be a broke student and be in the bar worrying about buying a round."

In the months since his initial idea, Alex has earned an average of £4,000 a day - the last block of space on the site sold for £38,000.

Alex's father, Malcolm said: "He's achieved a lot in the last four-and-a-half months. It was totally unexpected but we're very proud of him."

I was really amazed when I saw this on the news the other day. I have to say this is some genius thinking and I just wish I could come up with such creative ideas to earn money instead of doing the usual "student" part-time jobs.

BBC Link

Million Dollar Homepage

Nailah   

The website looks terrible. You can hardly see and of the advertisements because there are so many of them! That being said, i'm glad those colours haven't ruined my vision.

Congratulations to him for pulling it off.

smile.gif My Homepage had something almost the same..No wonder I didn't get any money but still I had part of the idea..

I wish I was there.....

i'm glad those colours haven't ruined my vision.

did u see mine?